Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Grappler is silly and cool

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Gerber Grappler is silly and cool
on: June 26, 2018, 05:45:08 AM
After losing an auction in December, for a used/rust spotted/no sheath Grappler, I was very disappointed. I know not winning an auction for an MT isn't serious, but I have wanted a Grappler since I began collecting MTs. It is one of the "crazy Gerbers" I wanted really badly. :ahhh
This one was $45 less expensive and NIB.
20180625_143531-1.jpeg
* 20180625_143531-1.jpeg (Filesize: 175.29 KB)
20180625_143625-1.jpeg
* 20180625_143625-1.jpeg (Filesize: 149.98 KB)
20180625_143735-1.jpeg
* 20180625_143735-1.jpeg (Filesize: 160.1 KB)
20180625_143804-1.jpeg
* 20180625_143804-1.jpeg (Filesize: 228.38 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Gerber Grappler is silly and cool
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:46:28 AM
Pics
20180625_143830-1.jpeg
* 20180625_143830-1.jpeg (Filesize: 218.8 KB)
20180625_144012-1.jpeg
* 20180625_144012-1.jpeg (Filesize: 64.1 KB)
20180625_144244-1.jpeg
* 20180625_144244-1.jpeg (Filesize: 198.06 KB)
20180625_144647-1.jpeg
* 20180625_144647-1.jpeg (Filesize: 145.11 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 05:47:07 AM
One last pic with the Rebar for size reference.
20180625_144439-1.jpeg
* 20180625_144439-1.jpeg (Filesize: 213.67 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:34:52 AM
Nice pics GLBM! I feel exactly the same way as you did. To me, it's a really clumsy and weirdly engineered tool. Tools aside, the tip of the pliers have no teeth.. And theres so little material around the bolt gripping area, I wonder if anyone snapped them before..  :think: I wouldn't be surprise.. Nevertheless, great tool to collect. Usability?  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:00:13 AM
Nice pics GLBM! I feel exactly the same way as you did. To me, it's a really clumsy and weirdly engineered tool. Tools aside, the tip of the pliers have no teeth.. And theres so little material around the bolt gripping area, I wonder if anyone snapped them before..  :think: I wouldn't be surprise.. Nevertheless, great tool to collect. Usability?  :facepalm:
Thank you, Sam! :cheers:
The pliers don't open wide enough to take on tough stuff. :rofl:
The complex mechanism that adjusts the pliers seems to be the Achilles heel. It really doesn't inspire confidence like the LM crunch. But, wow, this is a great collection piece. Not many still exist, because of how poorly received it was. A fine example of a great and original design that went WAY off-rail at the engineer's department. When you turn the tool-end upright to use the blades and tools, the plied head comes out from only gravity. :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 01:07:24 PM
Thank you, Sam! :cheers:
The pliers don't open wide enough to take on tough stuff. :rofl:
The complex mechanism that adjusts the pliers seems to be the Achilles heel. It really doesn't inspire confidence like the LM crunch. But, wow, this is a great collection piece. Not many still exist, because of how poorly received it was. A fine example of a great and original design that went WAY off-rail at the engineer's department. When you turn the tool-end upright to use the blades and tools, the plied head comes out from only gravity. :facepalm:

:rofl: that, I didn't notice... Probably because its been standing upright on my shelf from the very first day I got it. Yes. Great collection piece!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 02:06:43 PM
ah... ::)

the one vise-grip style Multitool that I couldn't grapple ever since I started my search  :ahhh. I am sure it has its good points and a big collector appeal, glad you finally found a good one and for a good price!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 06:34:34 PM

the one vise-grip style Multitool that I couldn't grapple ever since I started my search  :ahhh. I am sure it has its good points and a big collector appeal, glad you finally found a good one and for a good price!  :cheers:
:like:
Thank you, TP! :cheers:

They seem to be exceedingly uncommon, but keep an eye out on Ebay. Maybe someone has a small supply of them. Kind of like last year, someone listed a bunch of NIB MP800s for $40 shipped each. Ya never can tell with Ebay. :ahhh

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 05:33:55 PM
.... I have wanted a Grappler since I began collecting MTs. It is one of the "crazy Gerbers" I wanted really badly. :ahhh

Good catch  :tu:

If your itch for "crazy Gerbers" still needs scratching, then check out the Gerber Recoil (if you don't already have one).
WARNING :  Do not ( I repeat - DO NOT) pocket carry one of these MTs unsheathed, it could be very painful and possibly even dangerous if it unleashes in your pocket

Other Gerber curiosities (possibly not quite "crazies") include:

Mantis
Nautilus
MultiLite (especially the snowboard version "Ride")
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:26 PM
 :rofl:
I have a Recoil and can definitely see how it would be dangerous. Way too much power behind the spring. I bet Chako still has nightmares about that.  :D

Some of the "crazy" Gerbers I have are:
Grappler
Freehand
Radius
Steady
Balance
Recoil
Maybe more, but I don't have my inventory with me right now.

I generally focus on plier-based MTs(nautilus and curve wouldn't interest me generally), but admittedly never heard of the Mantis and MultiLite. Will have to check them out. Thank you. :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 03:13:34 PM

They seem to be exceedingly uncommon, but keep an eye out on Ebay. Maybe someone has a small supply of them. Kind of like last year, someone listed a bunch of NIB MP800s for $40 shipped each. Ya never can tell with Ebay. :ahhh

:to: man, had I known that!!!  :o :facepalm:

my MP800 was confiscated on Aug 2017 and I've been looking for a good deal on one since then  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:00:48 PM
I like the Grappler.  I always did.  Yeah, it's odd and limited, but it is a good tool in it's own right.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 12:22:18 AM

:to: man, had I known that!!!  :o :facepalm:

my MP800 was confiscated on Aug 2017 and I've been looking for a good deal on one since then  :ahhh

Check your PMs. :tu:

I like the Grappler.  I always did.  Yeah, it's odd and limited, but it is a good tool in it's own right.

Def
The engineering is quite impressive once you ignore certain issues. Just a couple of things that could have made the Grappler excellent are, IMO, plier jaws open wider and pliers stay locked and/or fit snuggly into handles when using the implements.
I do see why you like it. Very interesting and very unique in the MT world. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%