Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Geezer needs help

Rich S · 17 · 1124

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Old Geezer needs help
on: June 28, 2018, 01:17:38 AM
Hi all -

I've been a forum user/reader for years and a SAK collector for longer. My problem is old age :-)

I like the carry my OHO plain blade Trekker, but with advancing arthritis, I'm having trouble opening
it with my aged thumb. Any one have ideas/suggestions on how to loosen the spring on the OHO
thumbhole. I've lubed it to death. Even tried separating the space between the blade and saw
using an  old knife blade and beating it between the blade and saw. Tried using a screwdriver
to open up (separate more) the blades. Those things helped a little (very little) - it still is very
hard to use the OHO and even dangerous as it sometimes closes while trying to open it.
Any suggestions that I can do to make the OHO main blade easier to open??
I've about 50 or so SAKs, both Vic and Wenger. Have lots  of others I can use, but
my Trekker is my only OHO. Thanks in advance.
Rich

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:20:25 AM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Old Geezer needs help
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 02:34:11 AM
Try adding a key ring through the thumb hole and using it to pull the blade open with your index finger instead of pushing it open with your thumb.  You might have to use your other hand though, but unfortunately, I can't think of a way to still be able to open it one handed. Best of luck to you. :cheers:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 02:48:05 AM
Thanks for looking, if no one can come up with other ideas I can always go back to a two knife carry: my Tinker and a small assisted opener. Saw a really nice looking assisted; 3 inch blade nice design(Ruger High Brass by CRKT).

I guess putting a hot soldering iron against the spring wouldn't be hot enough so as to soften the temper??
Rich
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:54:36 AM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 02:54:57 AM
Similar idea to that of Alan K, I've seen some folks put a zip tie through the hole and cut it making a nice nub for the thumb meat to catch onto.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 04:12:38 AM
OK. I don't claim to be a SAK expert, so let's see what others think before trying my idea. I have loosened back springs in old traditional knives before by driving a small nail between the blade tang and spring. Then bend the nail back where I can pull out the blade. Gently open the blade slowly and watch the spring, making sure it barely passes the position it would be in at maximum extension.

But, I am not sure how a SAK would react. I hope someone here has over-extended the spring before on a SAK. The only quality knife I have done that on was a Bear & Son trapper. Seemed to reduce spring tension by a subjectively-judged 20% or so.

Edit: to answer the temper question, the soldering iron won't be hot enough. And, modifying the spring-temper would lead to spring breakage. :ahhh
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 04:16:46 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:32:47 AM
If adding stuff like key rings and zip ties to the thumb hole won’t work, your best bet is probably bending the spring a teeny bit like Alan suggests.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:55:27 AM
Would you consider removing a small section of the thumbhole to turn it into a 'wave opener'? You could then use your trouser pockets, belt loop etc to open it.

20180628_085237.jpg
* 20180628_085237.jpg (Filesize: 265.1 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 11:28:42 AM
Probably a stupid question if mine, but what is the problem of opening an OHO with both hands? Since you have arthritis, your handling of items will be limited anyhow.
I know some of the problems of becoming at age!! I am there myself  :(

Please remember, the high tension on the spring is for a very good reason. It prevents the blade from accidentally opening when carrying the knife in your pocket. It can become a bloody mess (literally) when you grab your knife while the blade is partially opened....

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 01:42:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at a OHO since I use a cane. I've tried a zip-tie but the other tools won't open around it.I think I'll try grinding a small nail and inserting it between the blade and backspring and just let it sit for a few weeks. I'll use my assisted opener and carry  my Tinker in my pocket until I see if the spring on the Trekker loosens up a bit.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Rich
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:47:53 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 02:01:06 AM
Might consider a Wenger or Delemont Ranger OHO. Softer spring and bigger hole.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 02:49:37 AM
We may be missing an alternative solution.

You use a cane. You need a knife that you can use one handed. Sword stick?

I'm kidding, by the way.

However, I might look at a very small fixed blade, like the CRKT Minimalists. My concern is that the grip on a Minimalist is VERY minimal, but there are other short little patch knives out there- I have tried Mora's midget model, but maybe that would work for you.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 10:49:02 AM
Can't you make a sort of small pin, knob or protruding thing on the handle of your cane as a sort of opening device?
(I know it sounds stupid, but I am trying to help.)

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 03:37:42 PM
Guys -

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sword canes are illegal here. Open carry of a fixed blade is legal, but a bit difficult in the winter.
I'm doing fine with my two knife carry (Vic Tinker and 3" linerlock).  I've got my Trekker down on
the work bench with a medium finishing nail in the spring and blade. We'll see how that works -
i'm guessing a few weeks to see if it does anything at all.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 04:50:34 AM
Fingers crossed here, Rich!

Overextending spring steel is always tricky. Depends immensely on the initial spring temper. Though better quality knives(like Vic) have more forgiving exertion tension. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 05:26:56 AM
The Ranger 78 has the same toolset, just a bit bigger. Blade easier to open and close. Saw also easier to open.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 03:13:07 PM
This has been my Edc for years. A surplus german army issued knife with new scales, it has seen a lot of use. Since that pic the remaining serrations were actually ground out. It has a bit of wear-induced play, which makes it somewhat easier to open.
This liner lock design is actually better suited for southpaws, which I happen to be. For righthanders, the liner partially covers the blade hole and makes it more difficult.
An acceptable solution would be to partially disassemble the knife, and grind the shank down only so moderately. Do not modify the thickness or tension of the spring as this would affect the "hold" both in the open and closed position. Please remove that nail and please stop putting things between the tools and the liners.
new_gak.jpg
* new_gak.jpg (Filesize: 58.73 KB)
blade.jpg
* blade.jpg (Filesize: 72.1 KB)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:36:33 PM by Ptisuisse »
Montblancs are black, swiss army knives are red.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 06:33:08 PM
That's too big for me. I've worked on tangs before - not needed for this one.. If the spring doesn't relax a bit in a couple weeks, I'll stay with my Tinker and thumbstud linerlock. A good pairing that works for me (with destroying a good knife). 
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85