Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Crescent Toolzall Electrician Pro

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Crescent Toolzall Electrician Pro
on: November 25, 2008, 04:31:35 AM
Well the first review wasn't that bad so I thought I would try another.  Any input is greatly appreciated. Some of the pics turned out a little better (different background). So here goes.

Where to begin? Except for the Leatherman Squirt E4 I believe that this may be the only tool I know of with a wire stripping tool head.
The tool itself

This tool is a Bear and Son Cutlery Bear Jaws Electrician that has been rebranded by Crescent to a Toolzall Electrician Pro.

This is a 4 inch tool with a wire stipping head. The tools in it are as follow it has a serrated/plain blade combo, 2 straight screwdrivers, a phillips head screwdriver, a file, a saw, a can/bottle opener, a ruler and a lanyard ring (if you count that?) and all the tools lock and are outside opening which is a very good thing.  The handles are also very comfortable to use when using the wire stripping head.  Good solid tool with solid design.

The Plier head

Let's start by talking about the wire stripping head. The tool specifically says to only cut copper with it. It has a wire cutter as with any standard plier based multi.  It can strip wire from 10 gauge down to 20 gauge or 2.6 mm to 0.80 mm wire.  Two hole that it says are for bending wire and on the tip has a small tip that can be used as pliers.

The blade

The blade that comes with the EP is a combo serrated/plain edge knife blade. Personally I don't care for this type of blade.  It seems to be the only blade that they put on any of there tools that only have 1 blade in them.  It can handle most cutting tasks and I guess that is what they are going for(the most versatility). The problem is it is only a mediocre blade for both types of cutting.  But as I said it is a serviceable tool.

The screwdrivers

The EP has 2 straight drivers and 1 phillips head driver.  The 2 straight drivers are nothing special they get the job done as most drivers of this type do, but the phillips driver is very well built and has a very good tip on the end. I like the phillips on this tool it seems to be a very good quality driver.

The file

Now to the file. It is a three sided file with smooth on 1 side and course on the other side. Since it is a Crescent brand tool one would think that it should have a Nicholson file on it since they are both owned by the same company. This is not the case though. The file is fine don't get me wrong it can be used for most filing applications, but for me though I like a little more filing surface it goes to the tip which is a plus, but doesn't go very far down the body itself.

The saw

Well back on a good note. The saw is a tool that shines in this multi.  It is a very aggressive cutting saw (it has fewer teeth than typical Leatherman/Vic saws which means more aggressive) that cuts on both a push and pull stroke.  Very effective cutting tool.

The can/bottle opener

The can/bottle opener is pretty much a standard design. It seems as though it would be capable of opening can and bottles pretty much the same as a Leatherman or Vic SAK.

The ruler

The ruler has both standard and metric measurement's each are on there respective sides and seems to be engraved very well.

The lanyard ring

I don't know if you count it or not but it's there it is a fold out type lanyard ring that takes up a space in my opinion.  I would have preferred to have seen another tool in it's place perhaps an awl. Some people like them so they put them in I guess.

Locking Tabs

All the tools lock in this model, the odd thing is how they came up to unlock them.  You can always unlock them the same way as you do the Super Tool but they have these little flaps that stick out on each side that you push in when you have a tool out and want to unlock it.  It works effectively but when the tool is closed they stick out a bit.  Just seems like an odd way to unlock tools.

Pros

I like the tool overall it has several useful tools.  The plier head is something not normally seen on a multi and they put it in there with very little problem.  It is very robust, smooth opening, plus all tools are outside opening and it seems built like a tank.  In my opinion it is a great tool.

Cons

The knife blade seems only semi useful (of course this is only my opinion) and the unlock tabs get in the way a bit.  The file is also lacking a bit of filing surface. Plus it also suffers from tool clumping

That's my two cents worth thanks for reading. I will take advice so please if you see something wrong tell me.  The pics are a little better this time at least I think.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:49:17 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Re: Crescent Toolzall Electrician Pro
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:53:04 AM
Nice review. I'd love to see more tools with wire-stripper heads like that. :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 04:55:12 AM
Nice review. I'd love to see more tools with wire-stripper heads like that. :tu:

I know go figure why there aren't any other full sized tools with that type of head ??? Maybe they don't think that it would sell or something :(

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:57:16 AM
That's a nifty tool! Thanks for the review.  :cheers:
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:23:08 AM
Nice review there, the pictures did come out better. I need to work on my pics as well.  :cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:44:26 AM
Nice one mate :), you seem to be getting a knack for this :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:05:49 AM
Your tool is so different from mine!

I have the same model, Bear & Son branded.

I don't have the unlocking tool tabs.

Also, I have the combo edge blade, but I also have a serrated sheepsfoot instead of the saw.  I want a saw!

And, even after sending it in to get it worked on, my pliers head is still really loose. They might have ground down the screw that kept it from fully closing, but they didn't tighten it.

Sigh. I really wanted to love this tool.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:33:18 AM
Nice job. Does that tool come with a Crimper? If so I think it is a great little design and a  great tool!
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:17:56 PM
Interesting tool that.  :)

Thanks for the review.  :tu:
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:33:44 AM
Your tool is so different from mine!

I have the same model, Bear & Son branded.

I don't have the unlocking tool tabs.

Also, I have the combo edge blade, but I also have a serrated sheepsfoot instead of the saw.  I want a saw!

And, even after sending it in to get it worked on, my pliers head is still really loose. They might have ground down the screw that kept it from fully closing, but they didn't tighten it.

Sigh. I really wanted to love this tool.

So do the tools lock or not? Yeah the saw is one of the better tools in it :-\ Sorry to say I haven't used it enough to tell if the head is gonna become loose in time if it does I'll let you know :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 12:35:52 AM
Nice job. Does that tool come with a Crimper? If so I think it is a great little design and a  great tool!

Sorry to say unless it is a poorly cast one in the plier head similar to the Super Tool's I can't really tell.  I suppose you could use it as a crimper though, but it being an electrician tool they should have incorporated one :-\.  Other than that it is a great tool :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 08:20:38 AM
Nice one Ponch   :tu:  :salute:  :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 12:34:05 PM
Another fine write up Poncho!  8)

I too would like to see this type of plier head used on more multitools. Maybe a more modern version of it would be better. The Electrician Bear Jaws is still listed on their site, but it has been around for a long while.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 09:54:55 PM
Excellent review. Poncho!
B

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 06:49:04 PM
I have the earlier version of that tool the PST type one. Also does your wire strippers have a lot of play? Mine have a lot compared to my Radio Shack Leatherman.
(

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:52:53 PM
Nice tool, I have the exact same one.  Re-wired my garage with this and it was a solid performer.
I didn't like how the release tabs protruded from the closed tool so I filed them down at the point where they contact the lock and now they sit flush with the handles. 
Apparently Cresent made another version of this which included a robertson (square drive) screwdriver.  I tried locating one but couldn't find any.

great review.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 09:55:24 PM
Welcome to the forum mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 02:50:44 AM
Welcome to the forum mate :)

What he said :D Welcome :tu:

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 04:44:38 AM
Welcome.  :tu:

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 05:42:45 AM
Thanks guys - glad to be onboard.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 02:01:12 AM
Nice tool, I have the exact same one.  Re-wired my garage with this and it was a solid performer.
I didn't like how the release tabs protruded from the closed tool so I filed them down at the point where they contact the lock and now they sit flush with the handles. 
Apparently Cresent made another version of this which included a robertson (square drive) screwdriver.  I tried locating one but couldn't find any.

great review.

Was it as adequate of a wire stripper as a dedicated pair? if you don't mind me asking :) also did you happen to use the wire bender holes on the head as they say to on the back of the packaging?

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 12:12:56 AM

great review.

Was it as adequate of a wire stripper as a dedicated pair? if you don't mind me asking :) also did you happen to use the wire bender holes on the head as they say to on the back of the packaging?

For general electrical work - wire stripping/ wire bending it is excellent.  the electrician head is as good as any proffesional models I've used.  I did not use the holes for bending wire, I prefered using the small needle nose pliers on the tip of the head.  For bending or looping the wire for the terminal screws it works much easier, though I'm sure the holes would work just as well.  I like this tool alot although I think a serrated sheepsfoot blade would've been more useful for electrical work and not sure why there's a saw, a crimper would've been nice.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 01:13:22 AM
I think a serrated sheepsfoot blade would've been more useful for electrical work and not sure why there's a saw, a crimper would've been nice.
I agree 100% about the sheepsfoot blade and crimper. A sheepsfoot blade seems like a no-brainer for anyone who's done electrical work. Saws can be useful for drywall and such.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 05:25:12 AM
Don't believe a crimper could be added but the rest of the tools do swap out with LM (old school LM that is) I put a PSTII diamond file on my Maintenance Pro (the shears version) and it swapped out pretty good.  One might take the serrated sheep foot blade of a LM Crunch and put it in there (but who would want to take a Crunch apart :ahhh ) :tu:

Plus I don't have a Crunch they may have a totally different end on them :-\

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 05:26:58 AM
Does anyone on here have a Crunch I don't think I have ever heard anyone post about using one?
(

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 05:37:35 AM
Does anyone on here have a Crunch I don't think I have ever heard anyone post about using one?

There was a Crunch Craze a while back where either folks were saying how great they were, and other folks were willing to give their left arm for one :D

I've got one and EDC it sometimes, it's a great tool and still fetches a high price on ebay..

And back on topic kinda, why a serrated sheepsfoot for electrical work?  I'm thinking for slicing heavy sheathing around a wire..?
[

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 01:30:11 PM
And back on topic kinda, why a serrated sheepsfoot for electrical work?  I'm thinking for slicing heavy sheathing around a wire..?
Yep, that's the idea. Most guys use a utility knife, which IMO is the best tool for the job- small blade with a straight sharp point.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 01:28:14 AM
Actually, since it already has a saw, I would prefer a PLAIN edge sheepsfoot blade. I'm thinking along the lines of the old, two-bladed electricians knives and the Vic Electrician. Those blades are great wire strippers.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 01:55:12 AM
Thanks for writing and posting the review, Poncho65.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 03:20:52 AM
Thanks for writing and posting the review, Poncho65.

:salute: Thanks for reading it parnass :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD