Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue Knives vs. Belt

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Rescue Knives vs. Belt
Reply #60 on: August 27, 2018, 08:51:21 PM
Go Beagle!!!

To everyone: What you see is what you get... that is pretty much my whole serrated blade collection.
The widened of the Spyderco blade and bluntness if the tip is exactly what helps it get under a seat belt safely, without injuring the patient.

If there is ever any doubt about that, give a try cutting away the shrink wrap from a 24 or 40-pack of plastic water bottles.
Good idea for a test...
I'm not worried about the injury part, more about maneuvering the blade into a position where it actually cuts. A wider blade needs more room to operate.
I'm also guessing that different blades need different techniques. E.g. with those pointy hawkbills you probably use the tip to puncture the clothing, then cut towards you, that has the potential to make unsupported cutting easier.

Thanks, Ether!

Injury is to be worried about in a rescue blade. The flat sheep's foot blade actually helps maneuver the blade safely between the person and the seatbelt. You the twist your wrist, lifting the blade away from the person and so it bites into the belt at each serration, and pull.

We would never use a hawk bill blade for rescue. That would puncture the clothes for sure, but also the patient. And pulking towards yourself with that tip in the clothes could easily rake your patient apart...Hawkbills are actually great for cutting vegetables and large chunks of meat without it rolling out from under the blade. Not advisable in a rescue.Not easily controlled in emergency environment. Cutting clothes off would be done with emergency shears.
I agree on that, a hawkbill is a terrible idea, but a slimmer blade (Vic Rescue) might have better maneuverability. Also the wide tip of the Spyderco rescue will make it harder to get under the cloth. That is just theory, its possible that in reality there is not much of a difference. Same goes for the curvature, hard to tell for me if straight or positive/negative edge is better offers any advantage.
But, my schedule has cleared up a bit, so I will be testing soonish.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #61 on: August 27, 2018, 08:54:08 PM
But, my schedule has cleared up a bit, so I will be testing soonish.

:popcorn: looking forward to it Ether
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: August 27, 2018, 09:07:13 PM
Yes, Ether, I would agree that your testing has been thorough to date. You should be able to push a rescue blade straight into the shrink wrap in a slow stabbing motion with no ill effect to the bottle behind it, and then pivot the blade to cut the shrink wrap and not the bottle

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: August 27, 2018, 09:50:51 PM
To everyone: What you see is what you get... that is pretty much my whole serrated blade collection.
Oh my... I do have one more... its kinda embarrassing that I forgot, I mean I even modded it.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: May 11, 2020, 10:26:33 PM
I'm curious how the Ruike LD-43 rescue knife works. I have one and love it, but I must admit I've not tested the serrated blade on a seatbelt.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD