Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Roxon Storm S801 Multi-tool Review

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Roxon Storm S801 Multi-tool Review
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 08:56:38 AM
So close, yet so far apart...
The wire-cutters look like LM ones, but the shape is a bit different. The LM wire-cutters do not bite into the bolt gripping part, and are slightly larger overall.
With LM wire-cutters in there, the Storm pliers cannot close all the way.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 11:45:05 AM
When I first saw this multi-tool, the hook disgorger was called a nail puller.
Though officially changed in the Roxon website, some sellers still have it as "nail puller."

By the time I got it, the implement was renamed. Admittedly, not a lot of people actively look for a hook disgorger on their multi-tool.
I assume it was changed because it was not as good a nail puller as they had hoped.
The nail-pulling notch is not beveled, the tips are not ground to an edge, you can barely called it angled, and it is quite short and thin. Also one end is pivoting around a screw post, so not exactly the strongest set-up.

Of course, despite the name change, it can still be useful as a pry tool, for staples, paint cans, plastic boxes or packaging, split rings, small chain links, or any other light duty tasks that could possibly damage the blade tip. Maybe even pulling small nails out of soft wood, who knows.
It could have also been a wide flathead, and still be used as a pry thingy, or maybe there could be a chisel edge, or a reamer-punch, a clam-shell package opener, or anything that could fit there.

In any case, it can stay, as a pry thingy, a staple remover, a small nail puller, or hopefully a hook disgorger, just for the heck of it.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 11:58:38 AM
 :think:
Assassins Creed 2.jpg
* Assassins Creed 2.jpg (Filesize: 208.72 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 05:38:27 PM
If you have a corkscrew, you might as well find some use for it, right?
When a jar lid is too tight, you can pry it from the side to break the airtight seal.
The corkscrew tip was at the perfect angle, and thin enough to fit under the lid, and fssst!  :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 06:37:17 PM
If you have a corkscrew, you might as well find some use for it, right?
When a jar lid is too tight, you can pry it from the side to break the airtight seal.
The corkscrew tip was at the perfect angle, and thin enough to fit under the lid, and fssst!  :cheers:
(Image removed from quote.)

there's no "3 cm" mark in the ruler?  ??? ???
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 07:09:59 PM

No, there is a pin there for the scissors backsprings.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 03:15:24 PM

No, there is a pin there for the scissors backsprings.

I like that the markings are over a black background,
on some Leatherman and Gerber it's darn hard to see the numbers   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 07:24:23 PM
Can opener at the top, cord cutter at the bottom. After I swapped their positions.
The can opener was at the bottom position, now it is at the top. This slight relocation made it from unusable to functional.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #38 on: September 04, 2018, 10:13:50 AM
This kitchen scale is 8mm thick, and can hold up to 150kg. I put it in a plastic bag, and what do you know. The glass breaker shattered it.
Until I get to break a car door window, this test is a placeholder of sorts. I cannot say this is the best option for vehicle rescue. This kitchen scale was thick, and made to hold the weight of a person, and it shattered quite convincingly. Would a car window yield the same result? Maybe, but do not take my word for it.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: September 04, 2018, 03:56:04 PM
that's a great test!
I've done it myself to test one of my glass breakers too  :cheers:

Re: car windows, they are less resistant than this scale and a good hit (especially on the corners/aways from the center) is sure to break them and shatter the glass to bits  :salute:
My toys:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #40 on: September 05, 2018, 11:08:09 AM
 :cheers:
I forgot to mention that the glass breaker tip was unaffected. It's still nice and pointy.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 02:21:01 PM
   I just got one of these and I am very happy with it! I am always looking for multitools that have a different design than a lot of the no name brand ones I see on Amazon all the time. Quality wise, it reminds me of the Chinese made Gerbers or SOGS. I did not think about the flaw with the can opener design as I never use one, but it is good that the implement is easily moved. I actually used the can opener over the weekend to scrape glue off of a battery I took out of a plastic pack. As far as the weight goes, I do not understand the complaints some make on these tools saying they are too heavy, This is a large full sized tool, and is made out of steel. It is going to weigh a bit due to that alone. I keep a Surge on me all weekend long and it is heavier than this tool. It is in its sheath on my belt along with my phone, and I do not notice they are there. Anyhow, great review on a great multitool!!  :cheers:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #42 on: October 30, 2018, 04:19:47 AM
   Looks like they must have fixed the position of the can opener. Mine has it on the outside already!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #43 on: October 30, 2018, 04:24:43 AM
   Looks like they must have fixed the position of the can opener. Mine has it on the outside already!
Thanks for posting about the Roxon, mikekoz! :cheers:
I have one coming this week and that makes me feel better about spending the money on it. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #44 on: October 30, 2018, 07:03:54 AM

:woohoo:
That's excellent news! Could you please post a picture of it? From what I've seen they also make it sharper now.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #45 on: October 30, 2018, 07:17:27 AM
Show content
   I just got one of these and I am very happy with it! I am always looking for multitools that have a different design than a lot of the no name brand ones I see on Amazon all the time. Quality wise, it reminds me of the Chinese made Gerbers or SOGS. I did not think about the flaw with the can opener design as I never use one, but it is good that the implement is easily moved. I actually used the can opener over the weekend to scrape glue off of a battery I took out of a plastic pack. As far as the weight goes, I do not understand the complaints some make on these tools saying they are too heavy, This is a large full sized tool, and is made out of steel. It is going to weigh a bit due to that alone. I keep a Surge on me all weekend long and it is heavier than this tool. It is in its sheath on my belt along with my phone, and I do not notice they are there. Anyhow, great review on a great multitool!!  :cheers:

I am so glad you like it! It's pretty nifty.  :cheers:
As for the weight, it's just a matter of getting used to it. Although to be fair, it is heavier than other multi-tools like the Wave, Rebar, Spirit etc. Even the SuperTool 300 is much lighter than the Storm.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #46 on: October 30, 2018, 07:18:08 AM
Thanks for posting about the Roxon, mikekoz! :cheers:
I have one coming this week and that makes me feel better about spending the money on it. :)
:like:
Let us know what you think once you get it!  :pok: :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 30, 2018, 02:36:38 PM
Thanks, RP! :cheers:

My first post (on first page) mentioned I would eventually get a Roxon. Thanks again for the review and testing, RP! Will chime back in once it arrives. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #48 on: October 30, 2018, 07:25:35 PM
     I will try to post a pic this eve. I do not think any of you that do not have one of these will be disappointed. All tools open easily, do not clump, the knife is very sharp out of the box, the scissors are GREAT, and it seems to be made very well. The knife even "bit" me when I was initially playing with it and I did not even feel it. And best of all, it does not appear to be a clone of another tool.   :salute: :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: October 30, 2018, 07:32:34 PM
Good point there, Mike! They really seem to have gone above & beyond at Roxon to make something special. I can't wait to get mine in. :woohoo:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: October 30, 2018, 08:14:26 PM
have you all seen the review by WeAllJuggleKnives and the new Roxon overview by Dizelle57?
They're quite comprehensive and offer a good look on this peculiar tool  :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdODWU-qOTs

(new Roxon):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixOU4FraY9A
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 09:08:59 PM
Thanks for postig those, TP! :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:45 PM
As for the weight, it's just a matter of getting used to it. Although to be fair, it is heavier than other multi-tools like the Wave, Rebar, Spirit etc. Even the SuperTool 300 is much lighter than the Storm.
So... it's a Heavy Storm?  ::)

Offline mikekoz

Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 09:25:30 PM
   Just watched the one from WAJK's. I always like his reviews. Not sure about the other one with the jungle sounds and no dialog!!  :ahhh :think: :rofl:   I only watched the beginning of it though. I may have a multitool that resembles that one!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:26:54 PM by mikekoz »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #54 on: October 31, 2018, 04:28:22 AM
Here's diezelle's review of it.
If you go to the youtube page instead of viewing it here, there are time stamps for everything he does in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDsmFTNpxKg

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #55 on: October 31, 2018, 04:36:13 AM
A few things I noticed, compared to mine:
-The handles are stiff on his, mine are smooth.
-Blade's liner lock did not engage properly, with slow opening. Mine does. Minor issue, and he fixed it.
-His scissor blades stuck closed when cutting, mine did not. Minor issue, and he fixed it.

-Can opener on his has sharpened edge, and two distinct bevels.  :tu: Mine has one bevel, and the edge is blunt.

-Can opener is now at the left-most position!  :woohoo:

-Glass breaker now has a rubber cover.   :tu:

-Scissors pivot screw is the same, the other side on mine is a one-piece rivet.

-Scissors on mine are better ground, do not show grind marks.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #56 on: October 31, 2018, 04:48:08 AM
 :-\
WeAllJuggleKnives got one of the older ones. The can opener is in the middle.  :-[

It is great that they fixed the can opener position, but you will have to somehow contact a seller to check if it's the newer version.
The updated version of the multi-tool will have the glass breaker cover, so the box doesn't even have to be opened.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #57 on: October 31, 2018, 04:53:00 AM
Oh. I was just about to ask where the can opener was drawn on your instruction manual.
I had a thought that perhaps yours was just assembled incorrectly rather than they changed the design.
I guess not.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #58 on: October 31, 2018, 04:59:06 AM
Good thought, I just checked.
The manual depicts the can opener in the middle as well.
Even in diezelle's model, the manual is the same as mine. The can opener is drawn in the middle.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 31, 2018, 05:04:25 AM
Thank you for putting all that information together, RP! That is awesome. :like:

Mine should arrive tomorrow. :woohoo:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%