Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Roxon Storm S801 Multi-tool Review

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Roxon Storm S801 Multi-tool Review
Reply #60 on: October 31, 2018, 06:24:29 AM
Another tiny difference is that the box used to say
Pliers
Multi-funtion Tool

but now it says

Storm S801
Multi-function Pliers

It's the little things.  :like:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #61 on: October 31, 2018, 06:59:47 AM
Damn. I was wanting to have funtion with it and get my Roxon. Now I just get to function. :(
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: November 01, 2018, 01:57:47 AM
Well RP,

We won't know if I am having funtion or function until a Chinese reader comes around. Apparently Amazon thinks I can read Mandarin. ::)

I like that I got a Chinese market package with Chinese/English instruntions.

The bit adapter did NOT fit over the phillips driver. Not even close. :rofl:
Luckily the adapter fit the NXT phillips perfectly(regular adapters are a bit to big for it). And I had a spare Ganzo adapter that fit the Roxon driver.  :woohoo:
The quality is fair, but Ganzo has them slap-smurf whipped in the quality:price realm. But, I feel like my money was spent well. The scissors are pretty much like the Outo/Schrade scissors and are phenomenal. Pliers are meh. Drivers are o.k. Openers are kind of cheap looking, but seem usable in a pinch. Like the pull-cutter. The fit and finish are good. At a tad bit over 11oz(w/o sheath & bits) it is heavy. Heavier than a SuperTool or SwissTool.  :ahhh
I like the cut patterns on the file/med flat driver a lot. :)

RP,
Thanks again for the awesome work here reviewing and commenting on the Roxon. It is definitely going to be one of the standout Chinese MTs in my collection. Roxon can really make a name for themselves if they keep up the good work. :)

Pics of packaging and tool.
Photo with NXT for size reference.
20181031_194159-1.jpeg
* 20181031_194159-1.jpeg (Filesize: 96.68 KB)
20181031_193925-1.jpeg
* 20181031_193925-1.jpeg (Filesize: 104.12 KB)
20181031_193938-1.jpeg
* 20181031_193938-1.jpeg (Filesize: 115.37 KB)
20181031_194108-1.jpeg
* 20181031_194108-1.jpeg (Filesize: 153.45 KB)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:00:32 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #64 on: November 01, 2018, 02:26:58 AM
Damn. I was wanting to have funtion with it and get my Roxon. Now I just get to function. :(
So you got your Roxon, did it get your Roxoff?  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: November 01, 2018, 02:36:17 AM
So you got your Roxon, did it get your Roxoff?  :think:
:rofl:

Yeah. Sure. It picks little pebbles off of the floor just fine. :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #66 on: November 01, 2018, 03:43:25 AM
It sounds like yours was not the best example quality-wise, and it's the pre-update one, with the bad can opener spot.
At least you sorted the bit adapter matter. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: November 01, 2018, 04:10:49 AM
Thank you, RP! :cheers:

I will say that the company put a lot of thought into the tool(as mentioned already), as it isn't a knock-off from what I know. I'll be doing a side-by-side photo comparison against the LM Juice XE6 at some point, as I feel they are pretty similar in tool loadout.

The OHO locking tanto blade in the Roxon is a nice touch indeed. :)

Offline mikekoz

Reply #68 on: November 01, 2018, 01:43:46 PM

I will say that the company put a lot of thought into the tool(as mentioned already), as it isn't a knock-off from what I know. I'll be doing a side-by-side photo comparison against the LM Juice XE6 at some point, as I feel they are pretty similar in tool loadout.

I also have to give them credit for moving the can opener after realizing it was not very functional where they initially put it. It looks like it is easy enough to move yourself, but still, I would bet most other non-major manufacturing companies would not even bother with it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:15:33 PM by mikekoz »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #69 on: November 01, 2018, 02:48:08 PM

I also have to give them credit for moving the can opener after realizing it was not very functional where they initially put it. It looks like it is easy enough to move yourself, but still, I would bet most other non-major manufacturing companies would not even bother with it.

I'd go so far as to say most the major MT makers wouldn't bother either. Not until years later when they introduce the WhateverTool+ LPXES3489273, anyway.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: November 01, 2018, 09:52:00 PM
 :iagree:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: November 02, 2018, 10:55:53 AM
Thorough review RP and well written and illustrated - sorry it took me so long to bump into it.

This is an eminently interesting design. I think I might go for one.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #72 on: November 02, 2018, 11:53:50 AM

Storm vs XE6? That sounds interesting!  :popcorn:
And about the blade, it's my favorite feature next to the scissors and Phillips. Great stuff! :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #73 on: November 02, 2018, 11:58:12 AM

That was a nice touch, and a great sign on their behalf. It is nice to see that they realized the issue and fixed it. Let's also not forget that the can opener also has a proper edge now, compared to the blunt edge it had.
It is a little worrying that you might order one and receive the older design, but in any case, the issue is now fixed.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #74 on: November 02, 2018, 11:59:17 AM
Thorough review RP and well written and illustrated - sorry it took me so long to bump into it.

This is an eminently interesting design. I think I might go for one.

Thanks so much! :cheers:
It sure looks good.  :like:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: November 03, 2018, 04:07:16 PM
Wow - that was quick  :o

Arrived one day after the order. Minor minus point, it's older stock in original Chinese packaging, luckily the instructions are in English too, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to read the drawings :D

Reasonably solid first impression :D. I got the bit set too, let's see if the adaptor fits.

I think I'll do can opener swap and sharpening tonight :ahhh
10320181633.jpg
* 10320181633.jpg (Filesize: 103.93 KB)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:08:21 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: November 03, 2018, 05:22:00 PM
Already done, was easier than I thought :D thanks to RP's writeup :cheers: :salute:. Can opener now sits in a useful position in a sharpened state.

BTW, my bit adaptor fits... :tu:

PS need to do something about the nail nicks of the three small tools, they're hard on my fingernails.

For info: the pivot size is 5mm. The Allen key I needed for the post was 7/64" and for the screw 3mm... :think:
103201817143.jpg
* 103201817143.jpg (Filesize: 108.11 KB)
1032018171445.jpg
* 1032018171445.jpg (Filesize: 101.33 KB)
1032018171421.jpg
* 1032018171421.jpg (Filesize: 98.42 KB)
1032018171341.jpg
* 1032018171341.jpg (Filesize: 100.13 KB)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:28:29 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: November 04, 2018, 02:41:24 AM
Thanks for the info, D_T! And congrats on getting the Roxon! :cheers:

Seems like a very reasonably manufactured multitool. :multi:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: November 04, 2018, 08:10:34 AM
And for one more chuckle. The bit that D_T has in his adapter would not fit into the 1/4 hex end of mine. The other bits fit the hex end, but the large allen bit wouldn't go in. I'm not surprised, since they didn't bother to check that the adapter fit the phillips shank in the first place. :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #80 on: November 04, 2018, 09:28:41 AM
 :facepalm:
Is it too late to send it back? :pok:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: November 04, 2018, 09:42:31 AM
And for one more chuckle. The bit that D_T has in his adapter would not fit into the 1/4 hex end of mine. The other bits fit the hex end, but the large allen bit wouldn't go in. I'm not surprised, since they didn't bother to check that the adapter fit the phillips shank in the first place. :rofl:
Have you tried to reverse it, then insert it? :angel: :whistle:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: November 04, 2018, 09:56:06 AM
:-\
WeAllJuggleKnives got one of the older ones. The can opener is in the middle.  :-[

(Image removed from quote.)

It is great that they fixed the can opener position, but you will have to somehow contact a seller to check if it's the newer version.
The updated version of the multi-tool will have the glass breaker cover, so the box doesn't even have to be opened.

Hmmm... not sure this is a distinction criterion. Mine, original centre can opener position i.e. older stock, has the cover cap too. It was loose in the box. It was too long so I used the main blade to cut off about 1.5 mm.

I've just realised this tool, having an OHO and locking main blade, is not legal street carry around here :think:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #83 on: November 04, 2018, 10:01:11 AM
 :think:
So we either have to ask the seller to take a proper look, or just hope for the best.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: November 04, 2018, 10:39:56 AM
Yup. A few more complementary notes from my side:
- The glass breaker on mine was only loosely fitted. It screws on to the fat metal part in the handle. I applied some loctite and used pliers to refit it. Wouldn't do to lose it - but if you absolutely have no use for it then it's good to know that in theory it can be removed - at the cost of an unsightly tapped hole, that is :D.
- The sheath was remarked as being too loose a fit for the tool alone. I'm making the assumption that I got the same sheath and indeed, the bit set makes for a close fit together with the tool. But: no separate pocket for the bit set so fiddly reinsertion of e.g. only the tool once extracted.
- It does not look entirely beyond realistic to swap out the plier's tungsten cutter rivets with tapped holes and screws if one felt the need (and had access to spare cutters).
- The corkscrew appears functional but the finish is - well - not perfect, it seems bent a bit about an axis parallel to the pivot, at the tang. Bending it back however does not seem possible without other damage so I'll leave it at that. The Vic eyeglass driver fits - just.
- The glass breaker should in theory be quite effective on car side windows, as seen on the kitchen scale, given the weight of the tool and the pudgy format which makes for a snug hold in not too oversized hands like mine. Don't try this on windshields though, and preferably wear gloves :D. By the way, I have just received word from the NAAAKS *) again. I've referred them to RP :rofl:

*) National Association Against the Abuse of Kitchen Scales
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #85 on: November 04, 2018, 10:54:37 AM
-I tried unscrewing mine but it would not move, so I left it alone. I guess you can remove it if you really want to.
-I think someone who ordered the one with bit set had a sheath that had the pocket. I do not remember who it was, maybe diezelle or wajk.
-Yes, the cutters are separate pieces, so in theory and with a lot of dedication the pins could be removed and the holes threaded to accept screws. It would be a little more compelling if Leatherman cutters were a perfect fit, but they are not. Although, it would be easier to just remove the head altogether, for another that fits. Surely there is a plier head that fits in there. Maybe not the Rebar, but something does.
-My corkscrew is fine. Which is good, because I use it all the time, opening corked wine bottles everyday.  ::)
-I hope nobody ever has to use it for its intended purpose. I think it would work. If I get the chance I'll test it some more, and do not worry about kitchen scales. They deserve it.  >:D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #86 on: November 04, 2018, 11:04:34 AM
diezelle's sheath has the pocket for the bit set.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: November 04, 2018, 03:03:57 PM
I thought about it, but since one of my Ganzo bit adapters/bit set worked perfectly, it's all good. :)
And, classically I've usually received replacements with worse problems than the tools I have returned. :ahhh

Quote from: Dutch_Tooler
The bit set with mine was a clustersmurf. Plus side is that the Ganzo set is a better bit assortment anyway and the Roxon adapter/all but one of the bits works well on the Suspension NXT. The Ganzo adapters is loose on the NXT phillips, but the Roxon fits perfectly on the NXT. The Ganzo adapter is a confident/snug fit for the Rozon phillips. I am just going to put another bit (phillips#3) in where the deformed bit is.  :)

I am still dumbfounded as to why they made the cutters separate pieces and then riveted them in. Seems like a missed opportunity to me. They could have charged $8 for replacement cutters and made money. :facepalm:

My glass breaker was half-way unscrewed when I received the tool. The rubber cover was rolling around in the packaging. I screwed and tightened the breaker back in and put away the rubber cover, because it would just be falling off all of the time anyway. :ahhh

The corkscrew on mine appears to be perfect upon close examination. Too bad I don't use corkscrews anymore. :-\

My sheath doesn't have a bit pocket either. I guess a makeshift piece of plastic would make a good separator. :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #88 on: November 04, 2018, 03:39:04 PM
Re: all the above

Maybe Ganzo's replaceable wire cutters fit in there? Though that does not solve the "pins instead of screws" issue, maybe they are a good fit being both made in China? ???

I don't have my Ganzo anymore, but the Adapter fit most Chinese made MTs with 3D square Phillips, from gerbers to off-brand, copies, knockoffs etc.  :dunno:
GLBM: that's one of the good things of having so many multitools, if you get an odd sized adapter/bit driver it'll eventually be a good fit on one of your multis  :D

Finally, WAJK just said there is a temporary sale on Ganzo tools on Amazon and great discounts (check his last YT video, "Knife VLOG", for more info, jump to min 10:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgdeh92xjNs&t=0s)

so maybe it's the best time ever to get a Ganzo tool and its adapter  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: November 04, 2018, 05:27:32 PM
I thought about it, but since one of my Ganzo bit adapters/bit set worked perfectly, it's all good. :)
And, classically I've usually received replacements with worse problems than the tools I have returned. :ahhh

Quote from: Dutch_Tooler
The bit set with mine was a clustersmurf. Plus side is that the Ganzo set is a better bit assortment anyway and the Roxon adapter/all but one of the bits works well on the Suspension NXT. The Ganzo adapters is loose on the NXT phillips, but the Roxon fits perfectly on the NXT. The Ganzo adapter is a confident/snug fit for the Rozon phillips. I am just going to put another bit (phillips#3) in where the deformed bit is.  :)

I am still dumbfounded as to why they made the cutters separate pieces and then riveted them in. Seems like a missed opportunity to me. They could have charged $8 for replacement cutters and made money. :facepalm:

My glass breaker was half-way unscrewed when I received the tool. The rubber cover was rolling around in the packaging. I screwed and tightened the breaker back in and put away the rubber cover, because it would just be falling off all of the time anyway. :ahhh

The corkscrew on mine appears to be perfect upon close examination. Too bad I don't use corkscrews anymore. :-\

My sheath doesn't have a bit pocket either. I guess a makeshift piece of plastic would make a good separator. :)

Haha. Funny you should say that, I just thought of something similar :D
1042018172354.jpg
* 1042018172354.jpg (Filesize: 170.11 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24