Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sam PST 2.5

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Sam PST 2.5
on: June 30, 2018, 07:40:59 PM
 :D :D

With the addition of the liner lock on my OG Wave, I went crazy today and made some modification to my PST. It just happened that was at work yesterday that involved crawling into tight spaces. I had to remove my work belt as its getting caught with everything.. Armed with a torx screwdriver, I crawled in to do my stuff... What I didnt know was my colleague had made some changes to certain fittings that requires more than a torx can fix.. :facepalm: I do not want to crawl out to get my tools again and I remembered for some strange reason, I have a PST in my pocket that day. Some considerable force were needed on some recessed screws so I had to work with the extended handle. Constant fear of the non locking philips giving way was real. Thats when I made up my mind to do something to it. There are many locking MTs that will work, a Pulse would be the closest to a PST. So why did I choose to "waste" the time on a PST? It have a really small foot print and it literally disappears into the pocket. And the most important part, Hey, its fun process.  ;)

So here, I introduce the Liner Washers. They are removable and can be fitted on a PST, OG wave and I think Sideclip will probably work.

For them to work, some grinding needs to be done on the tools. I only grind half the tool thickness so the liner does not over travel.

One side I have the Diamond file with a framelock, the other tools are secured by the liner washers.

The other side is the same, with a liner washer.

The large flat head was grounded slightly so a bit adaptor can be fitted. So now, I have a locking bit driver.  :cheers:

Currently on my PST 2.5, All these tools lock. I have not lock the blade yet.

This PST is a prototype for fitting. Some grinding still needs to be done on the pliers as it scraps a little along my liners. So far, am quite happy with how it come together. This will have a permanent space in my pocket. Till I have more free time, I probably make another cleaner one with more refinement.

:multi:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Sam PST 2.5
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:47:14 PM
Good job and great idea

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 08:35:08 PM
Awlsome work! Really like this kind of mods

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:55:37 AM
Thanks RF52 and KK. This is how I spend my weekend...  :facepalm:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 12:36:47 PM
You are a genius.  :like:
If you worked for Leatherman twenty years ago, the MT world would be much different.
 :hatsoff:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 01:47:45 PM
If you worked for Leatherman twenty years ago, the MT world would be much different.

This ^     :salute:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 01:59:25 PM

^^^ Yep I'm with these Guys  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 02:56:31 PM
 :D :salute:

Thanks guys  :cheers:

Well, most modern good brand tools are locking, they are mostly simpler but very effective. But somehow, the OG design have something to them that keeps drawing me back. I am late to the party eh..  :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 05:01:09 PM

+1!!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 06:51:18 AM

:salute:

Attached a ad-hoc clip to the handle. Sits surprisingly well, slight movement but it's temporary. Something to hang on to the pocket rather then disappearing into it. Shaved down the handle to very slightly below the tool. So when gripping, the pressure is cushioned by the whole chunk of tools. It's really a big difference now as the handle no longer cut into my delicate palm...

IMG_20180702_124310-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180702_124310-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 97.21 KB)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:04:52 AM by Sam Lim »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 02:39:58 PM

Attached a ad-hoc clip to the handle. Sits surprisingly well, slight movement but it's temporary. Something to hang on to the pocket rather then disappearing into it. Shaved down the handle to very slightly below the tool. So when gripping, the pressure is cushioned by the whole chunk of tools. It's really a big difference now as the handle no longer cut into my delicate palm...

(Image removed from quote.)

that looks like a P7 or clone of  :D
and how did you attach it  :think:  looks awesome  :like:  and deep carry  :gimme: :gimme:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 03:55:39 PM
Awesome mod as usual Sam :like:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 03:57:31 PM
Excellent mod Sam :tu: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 05:20:11 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

that looks like a P7 or clone of  :D
and how did you attach it  :think:  looks awesome  :like:  and deep carry  :gimme: :gimme:

Thanks Jaya and W!

TP, its really a last min lazy job to put on the clip. The clip is not tempered properly(luckily) so it will not snap even when u bend it back 45 degrees to put in the screw. Anyway it's just a quick fix to have it hanged on my pocket. But it have to do for now. And it does quite OK-ish..for now.

:cheers:
IMG_20180702_231404-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180702_231404-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 82.46 KB)

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 07:44:11 PM
did the liners need tempering sam?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 02:37:20 AM
did the liners need tempering sam?

The liners are cut out from another spare pst frame. I dun believe they are tempered. It works fine this way. Cos I was able to bend them to be either a left or right lock and then bend them the other way again. It's enough to maintain the springiness for the liner to work. So, no personally I dun think tempering is required in this case..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%