Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

S&H GreenStamps

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
S&H GreenStamps
on: July 02, 2018, 06:25:48 AM
I know I'm dating myself with this one  :facepalm: but I have to show off the most used piece of camping equipment I have.  I have a few pieces that I have had longer but they have been retired for quite some time.  My Mom got this early propane lantern for me back in the Good ol' Days.  Back when you got S&H GreenStamps at the check out counter of your local Grocery Store.  Yes the number of stamps was based on how much you spent.  You had to save quite a few to get any thing of worth, but the cool thing was there were actual S&H GreenStamp Stores where you could purchase almost any thing just with those stamps.  I have no idea how long she must have saved for this Old lantern but as they were the latest tech I'm certain it was quite a while.  The other items in the picture have also been staples when I camp, a Multitool, a SAK, and a Coffee Mug, they have just changed nearly every trip.  I also traded in the tent for an RV Camper.  Sleeping on the ground dosn't work so well any more.  :whistle:  So THANKS MOM still LOVE the lantern and it is still just as bright a light for my path as the very first time I fired it up in the back yard.  :salute: :tu: :salute:
20180701_130246[12072].jpg
* 20180701_130246[12072].jpg (Filesize: 473.46 KB)
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Re: S&H GreenStamps
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 06:29:52 AM
Dose any one else want to date themselves by sharing their S&H or Gold Bond stamp Items that have stood the test of time?
 :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:15:30 AM
Badge awarded, congrats  :tu:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 01:00:19 PM
I remember S&H Green Stamps as a kid.  There are probably still some buried at my mother's house.  You received them with purchases at groceries and other places, collected them in a booklet and redeemed them for stuff at S&H outlets.  Good times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26H_Green_Stamps

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
Thanks Kev,
 :cheers:
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 01:21:46 PM
I remember S&H Green Stamps as a kid.  There are probably still some buried at my mother's house...
Good times.

Yours too ha, and yes those were awesome times. Every day life still had it's rewards and people were much nicer.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 02:57:36 PM
 :ahhh :like:+1!!  I remember going to the store after spending an evening pasting them in the booklets :D.
I remember S&H Green Stamps as a kid.  There are probably still some buried at my mother's house...
Good times.

Yours too ha, and yes those were awesome times. Every day life still had it's rewards and people were much nicer.
Barry

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 03:44:38 PM
They were called Green Shield Stamps in the UK. Based on the S & H system, it existed for several years before ending because Tescos Supermarket pulled out. It was then rebranded as Argos (the laminated book of dreams), and the rest is history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Shield_Stamps
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:47:30 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 01:44:04 AM
I'll bite
While my house never collected them I do remember them in the 80s & 90s at the local "Riverside" grocrey stores in NWPA. I think they stoped them when they were baught out by Bi-Lo in the late 90s, but tried & failed to bring them back few years later with some new 'stamp-less' system.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:31:56 AM
Good to see I'm not the only one with good time memories.
 :like: :like:
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Dr.  McCoy

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 12:54:50 PM
Nice trailer you have there Douglas!

My goal with a trailer was the same as my mother's- a bed and a biffy.  All I really want in a trailer is a place to sleep and a real, actual, functioning washroom.  Unfortunately my trailer has multiple beds (sleeps 8) but is sorely lacking in the washroom department.   :facepalm:  I'd love something bigger but as my Jeep will only haul 3500lbs I am somewhat limited.

There were no green stamps or any other color that I recall up here from grocery stores.  I have a similar lantern, but mine is an old Coleman.  It's also propane powered.

Given the color of yours I have to wonder if it was manufactured by Coleman for whoever the supplier was for S&H Green stamps?  Are there any markings on it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 01:18:11 PM
Good stuff there Boss.  My lantern is made by Century Tool if you'll look closely you can see mine uses a different style of mantle also.  Not sure who that is or if they are still in business.  As for the camper, it is affectionately named the MUTT HUT.  It's main purpose is to serve as an oversized dog house for our 5 dogs when we go out of town.  Amazing how the wife gets what the wife wants. :whistle:
20180703_061205-524x1166.jpg
* 20180703_061205-524x1166.jpg (Filesize: 104.27 KB)
sketch-1485109909025_crop_576x307.png
* sketch-1485109909025_crop_576x307.png (Filesize: 123.1 KB)
Dr.  McCoy

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 03:41:29 PM
That's great!

Since I work out of town a lot I have been strongly considering a small RV since I spend so much in hotels.  It seems like it would be a lot easier to bring my own "hotel room" rather than trying to find a dog friendly room everywhere I go.  Ideally I'd like to find an F550 short bus and do a conversion, but I am also drooling over the 70's style GMC motorhomes.  :D

If it was good enough to be the Urban Assault Vehicle in Stripes, it's good enough for me!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 03:55:15 PM
Nice old gear, rarely quits. Now you can't even buy what they used to give away.

My grandparents did a lot with Green Stamps, I remember them from when I was a kid. We even found a cache of them in some papers in storage a few years ago. And I'll always remember them because it was the punchline in the meanest insult I've ever found:
"Your sister gives Green Stamps". :P
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 06:31:47 PM
Nice old gear, rarely quits. Now you can't even buy what they used to give away.

My grandparents did a lot with Green Stamps, I remember them from when I was a kid. We even found a cache of them in some papers in storage a few years ago. And I'll always remember them because it was the punchline in the meanest insult I've ever found:

:rofl:

Don't mess with grannie's green stamps!  As a kid this was serious warning.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 03:12:01 AM

:rofl:

I remember that one. :facepalm:

Don't mess with grannie's green stamps!  As a kid this was serious warning.

And that deserves an
AMEN!
Dr.  McCoy

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24