Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Avenger" clutch wrench multi tool on eBay

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
"Avenger" clutch wrench multi tool on eBay
on: July 02, 2018, 06:09:46 PM
I picked up one of these "AVENGER Products 9 in 1 Multi Tool with Wrench" things on eBay. I've been doing reviews of the Ubiquitous Chinese SOG Toolclip knockoffs for a while now, and this tool was in the same vein, but different and neat. I had to try it.

First off, it's a big hunk of metal. It's about 7 inches long, and it fits in the hand nicely. This is the first clutch wrench I've ever owned, and I'm liking it. I've used regular adjustable wrenches for ages and have always been disappointed, even when using top of the line forged tools with precise tolerances... they're still not great. This... well, this works really neat. It grips the bolt well and doesn't slip. The jaws open enough for a 17mm bolt head, but that is at the limit of the jaws. 14mm or 15mm is the maximum comfortable nut I think. On the small end, 10mm is the smallest it will go and still have good purchase. A 10-17mm range is about perfect, but 17mm is stretching it. I'm really surprised how well the wrench does work, and the ratcheting action is nice too. Takes just a bit to get used to, but then it's awesome.

The tool seems to have signficiantly higher quality than many of the plier tools I've reviewed. All of the rivets are peened properly, the screwdriver is squared off and not overly polished, as it should be, and there is minimal side play to the blades. The blade is not quite sharp enough to cut paper, but the serrated blade seems a lot sharper. The file on the back of the serrated blade isn't very aggressive. It works fine for finger nails, but doesn't cut wood well, much less metal.

The fold-out pliers are really cool, very similar to pliers on other Chinese knives. They're unfortunately not the most precisely made jaws. The tips don't come together, so they can't hold really small items. The back of the jaws hit first. The teeth all mesh up nicely though, and there's no side offset. The cutters work on everything from 24ga stranded on up to 12ga stranded wire. That was a really nice surprise!

The sheath is nicely made, with a layer of medium thickness nylon for the outside, a nicely stitched logo, and an inner liner so the tool doesn't get scratched. The tool fits well, and loosely so it can be pulled out easily. Loops are there for either horizontal or vertical carry.

Overall I really like this little wrench. The clutch wrench/plier combo is a nice touch. I'd prefer if the plain blade was replaced with a combo edge blade and the serrated blade was replaced with a wood saw, but I really can't complain. This is a good tool, and cheap too. I paid $12.99 with free shipping.

Charles.
s-l1600 (2).jpg
* s-l1600 (2).jpg (Filesize: 70.88 KB)
IMG_4164.jpg
* IMG_4164.jpg (Filesize: 198.19 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: "Avenger" clutch wrench multi tool on eBay
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:57:13 PM
Nice grab!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 11:10:32 PM
So I snagged a pair of Craftsman "Clench Wrench" tools, P/N 00930879... and honestly I like the Avenger better. The Avenger just barely fits on the rear axle nut on my CX500. I can torque the absolute smurf out of it, and the wrench never slips a hair. (Cotter pin is still installed, so I'm just torquing against an infinite value). With the Craftsman wrench, it slipped off the nut and I smashed my knuckles real good, at nowhere near the torque I put on this Avenger. The Avenger jaws are just longer and have more purchase, and they have big bitey teeth. The Craftsman wrenches have a smooth interior with no teeth. The Avenger fits on a wider range of nuts on my vintage bikes. For my more modern bikes, the larger Craftsman wrench fits more. There are just more larger nuts on the modern bike, from fork caps to axles and everything inbetween.

The Craftsman wrenches fold up nicely and fit into a factory motorcycle toolbox. The Avenger doesn't, but it is useful enough in its own right to deserve space under the seat or in a saddlebag. A useful pair of pliers, wire cutters, and a sharp blade are also benefits. If I were in charge of tool design, I'd replace the serrated blade with an inline phillips, and replace the backspring phillips with an awl. But nobody asked me :)

Charles

us Offline BauerMobileToolSystems

• My JerryRig tips: www.facebook.com/BauerCustom
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:08:33 AM
Looks awesome, & cheap!!

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 04:32:07 PM
I actually use this around the house. I haven't had cause to use the blades or pliers yet, but the wrench itself gets light use here and there.

Charles.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 03:40:54 AM
cooool

Offline mustangsalley

• New User
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 03:00:33 AM
Hey, I know these posts are a bit old but does anyone know where I can get one of these today?  I had one my son bought me a while back and amazingly it broke in my hand while working on a car.  I would love to be able to replace it but can't find one anywhere.

Any help?

Thanks,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44