Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How is the Crunch?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
How is the Crunch?
on: June 27, 2018, 07:36:55 PM
I'm not a big leatherman fan, to be honest. I do like my Squirt ES4, but for the most part I've avoided Leatherman style tools since the 90s. I've found the handles supremely uncomfortable to use with the tools and sharp liners digging into my hands whenever I tried to put any force on the pliers. But recently I've become aware of the Kershaw A100, and then the Leatherman Crunch. The Crunch looks really awesome, and I want to know more. Is it as sturdy as a regular vise grip when really squeezing on a bolt? Do the wire cutters work for stranded wire? How aggressive is the file? Is there a plain-blade version available? Finally, is it worth $110?

Charles.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: How is the Crunch?
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:11:33 PM
It's crunchy   ;)

ca Offline Walley

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 12:03:33 AM
i have a Crunch that i used to use at work for a while.
it is sturdy, once you lock the pliers onto something it will perform much like a regular vise grip pliers of the same size.
i bought it for the fact that the jaws open wider than other multi tools and i needed to frequently adjust a nut on door closers that was just right for the Crunch.
never used the wire cutter on stranded wire it so i cant really comment on that.
the file is pretty good imo. nice and course. i broke mine in half at some point though so i will add that is is a bit brittle (especially when using it as pry bar because of the lack of a significant flat head)

whether it's worth $110 i guess is up to the individual. if you really want/need a vise grip plier multitool.. then yes. i don't think there are any better on the market. the Kershaw A100 would cost you more if you can find one.
to me the price seems a bit high. i feel they should be closer to $69-$89 considering you can get a SuperTool 300 for the same price as a crunch.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 02:17:21 AM
I'm a relatively new Crunch owner having bought mine in April.  I like it a lot.  It's not my EDC but I can see how it could be. It's lightweight, and medium in overall size, and let's face it, you may not need locking pliers very often, but when you need them there's no substitute.  I found mine new in the package for around $65.00 including shipping, so that's what they are worth to me.  There is absolutely no way I would have paid over $100 for them.  That said, I have to say I got lucky.  I found the last one in a shop that had apparently been there for a long time.  It was in some little shop in Texas, about the 7th or 8th page of my Google search and I ordered it through the website about 2 in the morning.  The status of the product on the site immediately changed to "out of stock" and I wasn't sure I was really going to get it or not until I received the order confirmation later that afternoon via email.

The short version of the story is you should definitely get one, but hold out until you find one for a good price like I did.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:18:22 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 03:41:23 AM
I love the Crunch and I have used it quite a few times over the years and it has never let me down :salute: I found mine at a much cheaper price as well and if you are willing to look then you can find them as Alan and several of us have for a much better price :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 04:02:34 AM
The Crunch is one of the oldest MT designs still in production at 19 years.
There are reasons some tools don't need to change much(think swisstool and powerlock).
The Crunch has a few reasons.
1. Most practical mechanism that stows away (most locking MTs are fixed plier).
2. All tools lock.
3. Reasonably compromised tool assortment that is high in quality.
4. It is the only high-quality stowable locking-plier MT still in production.

I have a first year (1999) Crunch in my collection and would gladly pay $100 for another one if I needed locking pliers frequently. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 08:45:09 AM
The Crunch is one of the oldest MT designs still in production at 19 years.
There are reasons some tools don't need to change much(think swisstool and powerlock).
The Crunch has a few reasons.
1. Most practical mechanism that stows away (most locking MTs are fixed plier).
2. All tools lock.
3. Reasonably compromised tool assortment that is high in quality.
4. It is the only high-quality stowable locking-plier MT still in production.

I have a first year (1999) Crunch in my collection and would gladly pay $100 for another one if I needed locking pliers frequently. :cheers:

What GLBM said. :tu:

Mine cuts stranded copper wire. That's how precise these oldies are. Mine's a 99 production as well.  ;) As many said, it's not my edc as well but works perfectly when u need them to.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 10:45:38 AM
The only problem I have with mine is that the handles do not stay together very well when the plier head is stowed away. I could never carry it with a pocket clip, I’d be afraid that the handles would fall away and the tool would flop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 12:50:03 AM
The only problem I have with mine is that the handles do not stay together very well when the plier head is stowed away. I could never carry it with a pocket clip, I’d be afraid that the handles would fall away and the tool would flop.

Why is this the Crunch's problem.   :think:   If you modded a Crunch with a pocket clip and it didnt work out for you that's your problem not the Crunches. The Crunch wasnt designed to be carried with a pocket clip. It is to be carried in a sheath. Use it as it is designed to do and you shouldnt have a problem.     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 01:39:23 AM

Why is this the Crunch's problem.   :think:   If you modded a Crunch with a pocket clip and it didnt work out for you that's your problem not the Crunches. The Crunch wasnt designed to be carried with a pocket clip. It is to be carried in a sheath. Use it as it is designed to do and you shouldnt have a problem.     :)

From my understanding, other Crunches the handles stay together much better.

I do carry mine in a sheath, but some like pocket clip option.

:tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 03:38:40 AM

What GLBM said. :tu:

Mine cuts stranded copper wire. That's how precise these oldies are. Mine's a 99 production as well.  ;) As many said, it's not my edc as well but works perfectly when u need them to.
A good year, for the Crunch, Indeed. Like a fine wine. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 12:51:43 PM
I love the Crunch  :tu:
I have had no problems cutting any wire with the cutters
And the grip is really good
It is a small tool but it can hold anything up to 1 inch
I have fitted a pocket clip to my one without any problems   :salute:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 05:43:31 AM
I had one and didn't use it frequently but when I did use it, it passed with flying colors. It is pricey but you can find deals on them. I know carry a Spirit and a pair of vise grips and a Knipex Plier Wrench is a cheaper alternative.  :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD