Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swimming in the waterfall at a Mad Scientist estate- no kidding.....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I'm a bit late posting this one, but hey, better late than never, right?

A few weeks ago some of Megan's work friends posted photos on Facebook of this cool waterfall not far from us, and even closer to a place that we go kayak all of the time.  And yet, somehow we never found it before, but then that is the beauty of a Mad Scientist lair- they are often hidden and not easily accessible.

We did some research on this to figure out where it was, and the more we read, the more fascinating it became.  As it turns out, it's not just a cool waterfall, it is the ruins of an estate/labratory of Thomas "Carbide" Williams.  I can tell you all about him and make myself sound all smart and stuff, but you could just as easily read the same websites that I did and get the full story.

In short, he developed the process we use to create calcium carbide, which is very important in industrial metalworking.  He even went so far as to build a power station turbine (yes, a freaking power station around the turn of the century, before we had airplanes and when black and white video was the absolute cutting edge tech) on the property that upset the neighbors since it actually altered the depth of the lake when engaged.   :facepalm:

He was reportedly extremely paranoid, which is why he built his estate and laboratory way out in the woods.  Unfortunately for him his experiments cost him so much that he lost the estate/laboratory to a creditor, who had no use for it and didn't know what to do with it, and so let it fall apart.   Given that a tree is growing right through it, I imagine it fell apart pretty fast.   

The beauty of this place is beyond measure, and I wish I had been able to see it a century ago when it was still intact.

Yes, that's the same tree in the last two photos.  :D

Unfortunately the plaque that was put up hasn't fared any better than the rest of the estate, although the plaque appears to have been ravaged more recently, and by less natural means.

So what do you do when facing such a historic locale?  Simple- climb down to the bottom of the waterfall and take a dip!

Given my recent injury, coupled with all of my previous injuries and the uneven surface at the bottom, I waded in with my trekking poles to keep from falling over on my arse.  I was kicking myself at this point for having forgotten my snorkel mask in the car- the water was so clear and refreshing that I would have loved to spend hours poking around there.

The waterfall was absolutely beautiful.  I am fascinated by the movement of water and this waterfall drops 30-40 feet over about the same length, and is absolutely stunning.

It was an amazing spot and I can't believe it has taken me so long to find it.  If I had a time machine, I would go back to about 1915 and buy this place from the creditor then spend the rest of my life in this idyllic setting.

Eventually we started to head back, and on the way I found this sign:

I hadn't realized this was part of the Trans Canada Trail, a network of trails being developed to cross the entire country, which is also absolutely cool.  When completed, the Trans Canada Trail should allow one to walk or bike from the Atlantic ocean all the way to the Pacific, through mountains, prairies, forests and farms.

This has been one of the coolest trips I have taken in a while, and that's saying something because I have been some pretty cool places!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Great find, that place looks awesome

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
So... any superpowers yet?

:pok: :pok: :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
When you have as many screws in your ankles as I do, being able to walk is a super power....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
When you have as many screws in your ankles as I do, being able to walk is a super power....  :facepalm:

Def

So, you're saying you're not Batman...

:think: :think:

Show content
You're Iron Man?!

:o :o

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Looks awesome! One can almost feel it looking at the pics

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

Def

Show content
You're Iron Man?!

More like a discount Wolverine...

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Looks awesome! One can almost feel it looking at the pics

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

It was extremely cool in it's own right, but with the history behind it, the innovations and everything else it is just over the top cool.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club

Def

Show content
You're Iron Man?!

More like a discount Wolverine...

Def

Well, it could be worse...

Show content

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Very cool history and a beautiful waterfall !  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
 :like:
Thanks for sharing :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
That looks like an awesome hike!! 
Barry

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
What a place!  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Yeah, I was really impressed by how absolutely cool it was.  It was kind of like finding the Island of Dr. Moreau or something a few miles from my house.

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
great place! The kind of things I love to find out in the woods  :like:

now you only have to return there in the night to see the scientists' ghost flying around and damned his failure in the experiments  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
What a beautiful place. I envy you.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
What a terrific find.  Hope you be able to get back to explore more.  Bring snorkel so you can poke about in the water. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
This can be the land base for MTo nation, until we get the funds to buy the island.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
If we could find an island with ruins like this....   :drool:

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club

Def

Just worry about finding the island...

:pok: :pok:

Show content
In a couple of days, we'll ruin it for you!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline CarlWorker

Great photos and story. I hope a place like that was near to my state but I doubt it

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

Def

Show content

I have a feeling I will have made quite the mess before the first member arrives....

Great photos and story. I hope a place like that was near to my state but I doubt it

I never expected anything like that to be near here either.  It is amusing because it is actually just a stone's throw from an old Prime Minister's residence.  I doubt you would get away with having a mad scientist research lab at 1602 Pennsylvania Avenue these days!   :ahhh

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club

Def

Show content

I have a feeling I will have made quite the mess before the first member arrives....

I never expected anything like that to be near here either.  It is amusing because it is actually just a stone's throw from an old Prime Minister's residence. I doubt you would get away with having a mad scientist research lab at 1602 Pennsylvania Avenue these days!   :ahhh

Def

You're right. They moved it to Pennsylvania  1600...

But let's not get political. Onward...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!

Def

Show content

I never expected anything like that to be near here either.  It is amusing because it is actually just a stone's throw from an old Prime Minister's residence. I doubt you would get away with having a mad scientist research lab at 1602 Pennsylvania Avenue these days!   :ahhh

Def

Oh I get it now.  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
I like the fact someone put up a plaque (with the text in two languages and a picture, too) near the ruins. I bet the "thought" process was something like:

"This was the house and lab of a really famous and important person. How much would it cost to restore the building and surrounding area and make a museum for the future generations to see and learn from it? Hum... I see... and how much for a plaque? A couple of texts, a black and white pic?..."

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club

Def

Show content

Def

Oh I get it now.  :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I like the fact someone put up a plaque (with the text in two languages and a picture, too) near the ruins. I bet the "thought" process was something like:

"This was the house and lab of a really famous and important person. How much would it cost to restore the building and surrounding area and make a museum for the future generations to see and learn from it? Hum... I see... and how much for a plaque? A couple of texts, a black and white pic?..."

Well, as he was supposed to be quite paranoid, and he was doing cutting edge research, there probably weren't too many pictures taken inside, so who would know what to restore it to?

As for the two language plaque, well, it is in Quebec and part of what we call the National Capitol Region, so yeah, it is required to be in both official languages.  I once saw a sign on a parking meter that said:

15 MINUTE
15 MINUTES

Although I am unaware which one is supposed to be French, as both versions work in both languages.   :facepalm:

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club

Well, as he was supposed to be quite paranoid, and he was doing cutting edge research, there probably weren't too many pictures taken inside, so who would know what to restore it to?

As for the two language plaque, well, it is in Quebec and part of what we call the National Capitol Region, so yeah, it is required to be in both official languages.  I once saw a sign on a parking meter that said:

15 MINUTE
15 MINUTES

Although I am unaware which one is supposed to be French, as both versions work in both languages.   :facepalm:

Def

We got the same thing now, with everything needed to be labeled in portuguese. Lots of stuff from Spain, so we got almost a double labeling, since there isn't much difference between the two...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Here's an example. Oven is forno in portuguese and horno in spanish. Lays just found a way to write both the same way:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Here's an example. Oven is forno in portuguese and horno in spanish. Lays just found a way to write both the same way:

(Image removed from quote.)

Yes tell me that
Whenever I read Portuguese words in food labels I am like "was that really necessary?" :think:

Both with Catalan and Spanish, which share their own respective words with Portuguese but differ in most others  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%