Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket worn Alox?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Pocket worn Alox?
on: July 03, 2018, 07:50:50 PM
Contrary to what you'd think, Case has had great success with their "Pocket Worn" line, which is basically nothing more than the handles, usually bone, having been distressed to where it looks to where it has been subjected to years of carry and use.  I kinda don't see the point in paying more for a knife that looks like its used (same with jeans with holes already in them), as I just buy used knives most of the time anyway, but I love the look of old, pocket worn Old Cross Alox knives. I wonder if Vic would do a run of Alox knives distressed in a similar manner and have a level of success similar to Case.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: Pocket worn Alox?
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:05:48 PM
I love the look of distressed alox. I carry my black w/ red cross pioneer frequently trying to get it to look more worn! But I would never spend money on a new sak that was deliberately distressed.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:44:32 AM
I wonder if you could stain them like that instead of distressing them?
I like that look, but you know that if Vic did this (by any method) they would be a LE and way overpriced.
- Steve

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 03:52:26 AM
Given how fast the alox wears since it's a pretty soft anodizing, I don't really see the point.  Just throw it in a pocket with some keys for a year, and it'll wear in on its own pretty nicely.

This is after 5 years of carry.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:12:53 PM
Just use what you have.  It will get that worn look soon enough.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 05:22:50 PM
love me some Red Alox Wear, I'll even take it RAW  :climber:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 05:31:05 PM
I love the look of genuine pocket-worn Alox. Too cool.  :tu: :cheers:

Nevertheless, I don't think I'd buy a SAK with a factory finish with a 'pre-worn' look.  ???

When Alox looks worn, there should be a story there. I'd be happy to buy a used Alox knife with wear and contribute to that story, but a knife with a fake story? Naw...... :-\

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 04:11:35 PM
I love the look of genuine pocket-worn Alox. Too cool.  :tu: :cheers:

Nevertheless, I don't think I'd buy a SAK with a factory finish with a 'pre-worn' look.  ???

When Alox looks worn, there should be a story there. I'd be happy to buy a used Alox knife with wear and contribute to that story, but a knife with a fake story? Naw...... :-\

I tend to agree with this. Though, I don't know if I really get into the "story" aspect of objects. I'd need to think about that a little more. I do like the worn look asthetically.

Because of that, I do understand those who like to buy things with that worn look, whether new or not.

It reminds me a little of the debates around relic finishes in the guitar world. Like that debate, I'll choose to remain agnostic!  :P
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%