Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do I tell if a blade is black oxide coated, titanium coated, paint, or what?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
I have a Chinese knife with a black blade. The handles are obviously anodized aluminum, but the stainless blade is also black, as are the tools. It's a somewhat glossy black, but doesn't feel oily. It doesn't quite look like my black oxide Gerber, which admittedly is very used and worn, and has a matte black finish. The blade's coating has some scratches where I slipped with a diamond file, while sharpening the serrations. Otherwise, the coating holds up well. The bitdriver sees regular use, and it is not showing any wear yet.  What would this coating be?

Charles.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
it's paint, almost sure about that  :salute:
probably some kind of teflon based coating, based on its price, country of origin and similar tools I've had, seen or handled  :whistle:

not in the same level of resistance to scratching as better ones,  :P
like:

Blackwash
Black Oxide
TiNi Coating
DLC Coating
Cerakoating
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Okay. My CRKT ZillaTool and Guppie appear to have the same stuff. I'm thinking Teflon coating.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD