Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fasting........

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Fasting........
Reply #60 on: July 09, 2018, 05:12:22 PM

i'm game. we gonna go intermittent fast 16 to 18 hour fast and 8 to 6 hour of possibility to eat or full day fast. and is coffee breaking the fast or not?

a good way to start  :tu: IF with that 16/8 ratio is very easy to do and gets easier with time, in a few days you're used to it  :salute:
I'll start with you on that but with a slightly different 18/6 ratio to get warmed up, and then the other week the 2 day fast will be easy and smooth  :cheers:

Coffee is good as long as you're taking is as a non-caloric beverage (no sugar, no milk, no cream, just black coffee  :P [maybe with a noncaloric sweetener if you can't stand plain black coffee  :pok: such as saccharin, cyclamate, stevia, sucralose, neotame, or a combination of those, but you have to make sure it's calorie-free and not a pre-made mix using dextrose, or other bulking agents  :ahhh)
Same goes for tea  ;)

How did you guess?  :D

it's what I did at your age, going to sleep at 23PM and waking up for school at 7AM having breakfast  ;)

It is clear that we need to eat. We need fats, carbs, and proteins.
But there are good and bad examples of each.

Instead of low carb diets, try low sugar diets.
Eat less meat and more fish.
Eat as many fruits and veggies as you like.

And don´t eat junk food and ready-made meals that have way too much salt.

I´m 56 years old and healthy. My weight is just below 80kg. With a length of 1.80m my BMI is excellent.

Edit. I forgot this: don´t eat more calories than you can burn! Keep moving!

of course we need to eat, and eat good things, but this fasting approach is as good as any other especially if you haven't done your duties of clean healthy eating for years and now you have, feel and carry the consequences or ailments related to that  :oops:

some people cant diet, some can't eat healthy, some can't eat less, some can't move more, and to some of them the fasting method (be it IF, 2/7, 16-8 hours etc.) is what works or is easier to bear or apply to their daily lives and eating habits  :pok:

of course, as I said, if you don't have any problem, issue or medical condition related to diet this is moot point for you and this thread is not what you're looking for  :salute:

PS: I basically keep a vegetarian diet (80% of what I eat),
I quit sugar 3 years ago,  :mn: in all of its refined forms (fructose, glucose, sucrose, honey, syrups and such, the only sugars I eat now are naturally occurring, and I use stevia or sucralose/Ace-K/cyclamate/saccharine for sweetening purposes.

;) Barely any salt too, I don' add it to my food and I don't eat pre-made meals with exceptional occasions, but very rare ones  :angel:

I am 1,77 and 76Kgs but have other diet-related issues that benefit from intermittent fasting or occasional two/three day fasting every other month, and even though I move a lot and are not a sedentary person in the job or my free time, I have noticed improvements in my overall well being with this  :2tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 09, 2018, 05:21:13 PM
I agree on the hard to digest carbs instead of cutting them out of ones diet completely. Try stuff like buckwheat kasha and other types of porridge (kaša is actually a word for porridge in Slavic languages  :D). I eat a lot of it (buckwheat, spelt, millet, wheat, brown rice, red rice). There are also different types of lentils. Though I only really eat peas and chickpeas.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #62 on: July 09, 2018, 05:58:41 PM
Now that you brought them up... What are the healthiest legumes? :think:
And the healthiest way to prepare them? The ones that come cooked in cans from the shop? Or soaking and cooking dried legumes at home?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: July 09, 2018, 06:17:03 PM
well i'm in. and yes i drink pure black coffee without additions to it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: July 09, 2018, 06:43:25 PM
And the healthiest way to prepare them? The ones that come cooked in cans from the shop? Or soaking and cooking dried legumes at home?

I don't know. I simply eat the ones I like.  :like: :D

As for preparation I guess the ones you make at home?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: July 09, 2018, 08:51:07 PM

I don't know. I simply eat the ones I like.  :like: :D

As for preparation I guess the ones you make at home?

most times homemade food beats industrial preparation, legumes alone carry antioxidants, conservation products and emulsifiers among others, and a bunch of other additives (sugar, sequestering agents...) so they are fresh and edible  :pok:

But simply cooked legumes in jars with just water, salt, and possibly ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) are good to go.  :tu:

There are no "better" or "healthier" legumes, just different ones with different cooking times and digestibility. Some people get gassy eating pinto beans  :P, other finds lentils hard to eat and digest  :-\, other loathe the taste of chickpeas  :ahhh, etc. but all are good for the body, personal issues, allergies or preferences notwithstanding

The best thing, as usual with diet and food, is to have the biggest variety and rotate through different legumes to get all the different micronutrients and minerals present in ones and not in others  :salute:

well i'm in. and yes i drink pure black coffee without additions to it

good!  :cheers:
We have till next monday to make any necessary preparations, though it should be easy as is because you don't have to buy anything, as a matter of fact you tend to buy less after a while  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #66 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:58 PM
woooohoooo

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #67 on: July 09, 2018, 10:13:10 PM
I buy tinned legumes because I can't be bothered soaking dry ones, although it would be a lot cheaper.
I put lentils in with pasta sauce (instead of mince), also can be used as the mince part of a shepherd's pie.
I put chickpeas in with (Indian) curries - chickpea and spinach is a good combo.
Have you tried felafel?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: July 09, 2018, 10:53:14 PM
I buy tinned legumes because I can't be bothered soaking dry ones, although it would be a lot cheaper.
I put lentils in with pasta sauce (instead of mince), also can be used as the mince part of a shepherd's pie.
I put chickpeas in with (Indian) curries - chickpea and spinach is a good combo.
Have you tried felafel?
I haven’t tried that. :think:

My favourite are the marrowfat peas, I think. Big and slightly mushy-soft when cooked, seems to be compatible with lots of food.

And it’s nice how cheap dried legumes are. :D

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #69 on: July 10, 2018, 09:47:49 AM
Next time you get a kebab, try a falafel one.  :pok:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: July 10, 2018, 12:17:43 PM
Well I'm in, obviously, but I'm working up to it in my usual way.

I prefer my coffee black and bitter......dark roast, but I started adding full cream to the first few....source of fat.

I could easily ditch the cream, but I do believe coffee counts as breaking the fast, at least that's what I seem to remember from docu.
That said, they might assume most people don't drink black & bitter.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: July 10, 2018, 02:40:00 PM
Well I'm in, obviously, but I'm working up to it in my usual way.

I prefer my coffee black and bitter......dark roast, but I started adding full cream to the first few....source of fat.

I could easily ditch the cream, but I do believe coffee counts as breaking the fast, at least that's what I seem to remember from docu.
That said, they might assume most people don't drink black & bitter.

I guess you added the cream to comply with LCHF procedures, but this is a different approach, even though if you consume coffee during the non-fasting hours you can still add cream, milk or others to it  :cheers:

strictly speaking, fasting is not a single concept, you can water-fast, liquid-fast- etc.  :ahhh but most people agree that fasting (and its benefits, effects, results and consequences) implies the lack of energy input (ie not consuming calories or consuming negligible amounts of them), and black coffee alone is like tea alone, merely "flavored water", that lacks calories if you add nothing else like sugar, milk, cream or else  :salute:

so in the scientist's and nutritionist's eyes (or most of) black coffee, plain, is like taking water, thus accepted in a fasting diet  :tu:
My toys:

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: July 10, 2018, 04:03:00 PM
Well then that nicely eliminate my first problem.  :tu:

My second problem needs to be (mostly) eliminated anyway  :facepalm:

I found the part about the fasting mimicking diet fascinating.......eating without your stomach sending the signal to the brain.... 8)

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: July 10, 2018, 04:08:38 PM
And thus MTO turns in to a pro-ana forum...  :rofl:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: July 10, 2018, 06:45:28 PM

I guess not, unless you do that yourself  ???

there are other places for that kind of talk
My toys:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: July 10, 2018, 07:04:46 PM

Well, I was accused of being malnurished several times during highschool by my GP.  :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: July 10, 2018, 07:31:45 PM

Well, I was accused of being malnurished several times during highschool by my GP.  :facepalm:
My Grandmother thinks I'm too skinny...

All hail the hook!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: July 10, 2018, 07:40:56 PM

Don't they all? My has this gesture where she sucks in her cheeks and repeatedli pokes them with her index fingers. I suppose it is suposed to mean that I have sunken cheeks from being too thin...  :facepalm: :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:59:13 PM by lister »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: July 10, 2018, 08:12:36 PM

Don't they all? My has this gesture where she sucks in her cheeks and repeatedli pokes them with her index fingers. I suppose it is suposed to mean that I have sunken cheeks from being too thin...  :facepalm: :rofl:
:rofl:

I mean, I’m not skinny! I just have weak muscles.  :facepalm: ::)

All hail the hook!

hr Offline styx

Reply #79 on: July 10, 2018, 08:29:34 PM
that's an easy fix

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: July 10, 2018, 08:54:46 PM
that's an easy fix

DEADLIFTS!!!!!!!!

Right?

:ahhh

:D

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: July 11, 2018, 08:01:29 AM
I weighed as much as 2 or 3 people during most of my life.......would like to come down to the weight of just one really big human  :rofl:

My mother is a feeder....... :facepalm:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #82 on: July 11, 2018, 01:19:24 PM
I have lost about 7-8 kg over the last 9 months or so from just cutting back a bit on sugar and carbs.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: July 11, 2018, 02:04:00 PM
I weighed as much as 2 or 3 people during most of my life.......would like to come down to the weight of just one really big human  :rofl:

My mother is a feeder....... :facepalm:
I think of you as a tall guy... Am I accurate?  :think:

All hail the hook!

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: July 11, 2018, 03:10:48 PM

1.95m
I would say big rather than tall, considering bone structure.

IMO I looked liked a scaled up "normal" person rather than tall.....if that makes sense  :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: July 11, 2018, 03:21:40 PM

1.95m

IMO I looked liked a scaled up "normal" person rather than tall.....if that makes sense  :rofl:
Yup it does.... :tu: a healthy weight for you is overweight for a short person?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:23:13 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: July 11, 2018, 03:35:56 PM

1.95m

...obviously?  ???
And if he were 2.30m, then even more.
If he were 1.50 m, then the opposite

That's exactly what BMI is for   :pok:
My toys:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: July 11, 2018, 03:54:07 PM

1.95m

...obviously?  ???
And if he were 2.30m, then even more.
If he were 1.50 m, then the opposite

That's exactly what BMI is for   :pok:
I know that, but I wasn’t sure how to write it.  :think: :tu:

All hail the hook!

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: July 11, 2018, 04:01:52 PM
Problem is currently I'm 133kg, so I know I can drop 30kg's and feel much better......

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #89 on: July 11, 2018, 04:11:46 PM
Problem is currently I'm 133kg, so I know I can drop 30kg's and feel much better......

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD