Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Giants of June/Big Blades Challenge - June 2024

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Giants of June/Big Blades Challenge - June 2024
on: April 11, 2024, 01:50:16 AM
I feel like larger blades are somewhat under-appreciated.  Sure they’re a bit more to carry, but they can do some things smaller blades can’t.  Other tasks that might be possible with a smaller blade are completed more cleanly and efficiently with a blade that is just a bit bigger.

So, the challenge is this:  For the month of June, carry and use only a knife or knives that have a minimum 4” blade length.  Fixed or folding, traditional or modern, all are welcome.

Of course, no one should risk legal trouble or their job, so if the only place you can carry and use a knife this size is your own home/yard, it would still be great to have you participate.

Use the AKTI Protocol for Measuring Blade Length (link below) to determine whether a given knife meets the minimum 4” blade requirement.

https://www.akti.org/resources/akti-protocol-for-measuring-knife-blade-length/

All the other usual challenge rules apply.  (If anyone is new to the forum and or new to challenges here and would like a full explanation, just ask.)

If you want to participate but don’t have a knife that qualifies, there are serviceable options out there for under $30, under $20, and even under $10, and of course you would have until June 1st to acquire one.

If there is sufficient interest, I’ll ask the mods to add this to the official challenge list and see about a badge.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Giants of June/Big Blades Challenge - June 2024
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 05:40:24 AM
Well, three days, 99 views, and not one peep of interest.  I didn’t expect a huge turnout, but it seems this idea is even less popular than I thought.

We’ve got a while (seven weeks) until June, but it looks like my options might be down to forging ahead solo or bagging the whole thing.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 01:42:02 PM
Looks like a fun one to watch, but living in the UK, probably too much trouble to join in with.

Good luck to the participants.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 04:17:21 PM
Looks like a fun one to watch, but living in the UK, probably too much trouble to join in with.

Good luck to the participants.

:iagree: with Crunchie here. I don't even have anything that would qualify (except my grandfathers bayonet  :viking:)
I did have a bush craft type thing but it was put into a GAW as awl I had manged to cut with it was - myself  :facepalm:

Unless you can recruit lithe, sinewy outdoor types like @GearedForwards into it then you might struggle this side of the pond I'm afraid  :cry:
They don't like it up 'em!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 04:58:09 PM
I only have 1 knife over 4", i might join this  challenge. Other knifes is bit under 4" but those dont count for this.

Only Tools Matters

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 05:36:15 PM
I was thinking of joining, but I don't think I will, considering what's going on down here. :(

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 05:17:58 PM
I appreciate the input guys.

Here is my plan of action at this point:

1.  If anyone else joins me, I’ll do this challenge as scheduled.

2.  If no one else joins this challenge, but someone proposes another challenge for June that strikes my fancy, then I’ll do that challenge.

3.  If neither of the above, I’ll tackle this challenge solo.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 01:19:46 AM
I've got a few edc blades that are 4" and over, but going to skip challenges for a bit to focus on things.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD