Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tried shaving w/ Case's One Armed Bandit

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Tried shaving w/ Case's One Armed Bandit
on: May 14, 2024, 01:51:55 AM
Someone had to try it, right? I'll start off by saying I'm not particularly experienced with straight razors. I got one as a gift 10 or 15 years ago, used it once, threw it in the drawer, got it back out about a year ago, used it maybe a dozen times,  dropped it, and cracking the blade. I keep saying I'm gonna try to sharpen the crack out, but haven't gotten around to it.

open.jpg
* open.jpg (Filesize: 91.51 KB)

Before:

leftbefore.jpg
* leftbefore.jpg (Filesize: 159.62 KB)

Whiskers on the blade!:

whiskers.jpg
* whiskers.jpg (Filesize: 69.73 KB)

After:

leftafter.jpg
* leftafter.jpg (Filesize: 164.73 KB)

It went okay. Definitely not the smoothest shave, but the large handle to blade ratio was actually pretty easy to handle. I think someone with more skills would find it totally useable. Makes me wish even more for a carbon version.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: Tried shaving w/ Case's One Armed Bandit
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 07:55:36 PM
You're a braver man than I, apparently! :hatsoff: And I'd guess your water heater works better than mine and you're in no particular hurry to shave. (I'll stick with an electric razor until I know I can retire, and therefore have a little more time available to devote to shaving.) And we 100% agree on Case making more widespread use of carbon steel. My reasoning is slightly different: Case polishes their stainless blades to excess.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 12:16:24 AM
One of the interesting choices one of the previous owners made is installing a great big whirlpool tub in the main bath. As a result, there's a large, very hot, water heater for that section. It's so hot that my regular cartridge razor got hot enough to burn my face the first couple times I shaved until I realized what was going on. On the plus side, whirlpool tub! On the minus, kind of awkward to climb in and out of the shower. I suppose whining about my giant shower-tub is a real first world problem.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 01:26:42 AM
I’m pretty sure the term “one armed bandit” refers to a slot machine rather than a knife.

Nonetheless, I tip my hat to you for shaving with a pocket knife.
:hatsoff:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 07:20:30 PM
One arm "bandit" knives came into use after the US Civil War to allow the veterans that had lost arms to be able to open a pocket knife with only one hand.  The area on the front of the blade would catch a pocket or seam to hold the blade.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 08:24:40 PM
And,  I do hope you sharpened your Razor before attempting to glide against your facial skin.

My Caribbean Blue Razor required a good deal of effort to get a paper cutting edge and a lot more work before hair cutting results in my forearm.

I also agree, a few Razors offered with CS blade steel should be made.  Specifically the YELLOW Synthetic!

I do find it funny, Case makes this model the vault Pattern for 2024 and Every pocket knife make is producing this pattern.  Just 2 years ago I looked for one to buy for my collection and no new stock was available, and only a few on the auction site.

BP - you are a braver man than me!  Respects.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 09:09:58 PM
Thanks, awl. I think we should make a badge for it, and you should give it a try.  :pok:

Wasn't too hard to get up to decent sharpness. A few minutes on the Smith rods and a bit more on the strop got it workable, though not "popping" which I've never mastered.

I was eyeing the RR version, but I like the larger size of the Case. I'm sure I'll snap up the Boker razor/driver at some point.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%