Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kobalt 10-piece screwdriver bit set. It's not bad!

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Link here: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-10-Piece-Screwdriver-Bit-Set/1000387175

It's a foldable screwdriver with clip carry and a mess of bits. If you count each bit as a function it qualifies as a multi-tool, but that's a stretch. The screwdriver locks into place and it's also really useful at the 90 degree angle (though it doesn't lock at that position) for extra torque. The driver can be shortened by removing the extension... though in practice I don't see ever wanting to remove the extension. It does come off a little easy, sometimes the extension comes off instead of the bits (It's just held in with a magnet like the bits), but it's useful and a fun, cheap tool. I picked mine up for $10 at the store, but you can order it cheaper online.

There was also a new all-black Kobalt multi tool sitting next to this thing, which looks reminiscent of the gerber suspension. I was half debating snagging it, but got a look at the phillips driver and it's really, really small. Smaller than necessary for the tool... so I passed for the moment. It's a $15 tool, so I figured it might be useful as a beater or thrown in the back of a car, but I'd need normal sized screwdrivers I think. Does anyone have one? Is it any good other than the tiny drivers?

Charles.
099198809311_08833426.jpg
* 099198809311_08833426.jpg (Filesize: 32.87 KB)
099198809311_09217322.jpg
* 099198809311_09217322.jpg (Filesize: 88.18 KB)
099198809311.jpg
* 099198809311.jpg (Filesize: 42.63 KB)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:07:09 PM by ChopperCharles »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Kobalt 10-piece screwdriver bit set. It's not bad!
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:24:14 PM
Not bad. I've seen kickstarter project of this concept costing ten times as much.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 04:33:22 PM
looks good   :tu: :like: :like:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:34:41 PM by Wspeed »
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 08:22:48 PM
Been using mine ever since Lowe's started carrying them in May--love it, except for one thing, that extension. I threw it out and replaced it with a standard, round one. The square one won't fit in any recessed screw. Since the tool is so heavy, the pocket clip doesn't help if I'm carrying it in a pocket, but it keeps it from falling out of the tool bag.

And for that black multitool--also pretty good for $6 (averaged out between the $12 price for it and the knife). I will say it's one of the best low end tools I've owned, especially its saw, which is probably the best on any low end tool I've used or tried. The blades are really short . Everything actually works, except you might want to sharpen the blades (and the black coating dulls the serrated blade).  The knife that comes in the set with it is supposed to be a flipper, but it's too stiff for that to actually work. The steel is so soft that the wrenches usually strip out before you can do anything. Nail puller works good.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:29:52 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:30:01 PM
it has a bottle opener, so it is a multi tool :facepalm:
099198809311_09217318.jpg
* 099198809311_09217318.jpg (Filesize: 46.47 KB)
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 09:51:59 PM
and with that shape,
it's also an excellent brick, paperweight, tablet/smartphone supporting base and self defense blunt implement  :tu:  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 03:27:14 AM
Hmm, round extension might be a good upgrade. I was thinking about silver braizing the extension in place, because I can’t see myself ever using it as a short driver. But I may hold off on that if it’s going to limit access. I might just try a regular extension.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 05:44:16 PM
The more I use this tool, the more I like it. It clips into my pants pocket really nicely. I carry screwdrivers around my garage all the time, shoved in a pocket. And they're always uncomfortable and annoying. This isn't. Sure I have to fold it to put it back in my pocket, but i can do that against my leg one-handed. It's a comfortable screwdriver to carry around, and if I know I'm going to need a screwdriver for multiple tasks it's now the one I reach for.

Also, the clip can be reversed if you want tip up or tip down carry. I thought that was a nice touch.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 11:15:14 PM
These are being clearanced out at Lowe's now for $6.97 each. I picked up a couple for stocking stuffers. If anyone wants one, now is the time!

Charles.

us Offline BauerMobileToolSystems

• My JerryRig tips: www.facebook.com/BauerCustom
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:30:43 AM
Got mine today. Excellent for the price!!

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 10:40:24 AM
Doesn't look like it is sold outside of the US (or lowes for that matter)  :rant: :bnghd: :poh:

Arrrggghhh Grrrr...Look how mad I am with the angry smilies I posted.  ;)

I wonder if there's different branded version of the same tool floating around out there somewhere  :think: ....like for instance; you sometimes see a tool sold under the "Husky" brand in the US, but then what at least looks like the exact same tool sometimes appear over here on like amazon under the brand names "Rolson", "SilverLine", "BluePoint" etc and / or on AliExpress under the WORKPRO (or other) brand.. :dunno:
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 06:05:48 PM
Has the glue holding the magnet to the bottom of the frame gave out on yours? It just did on mine, and it's spent most of its time in the tool bag unused.

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 06:42:26 PM
Nope. An I keep mine in a hot car all day every day. NC summers are brutal...

Charles.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 10:47:12 PM
UK e-bay has them, for about $25 including postage to UK.

Site says Kobalt licenced the design and made a cheaper (in materials) version with the folding arm
http://www.modernoutdoordweller.com/blog/kobalt-big-idea-design-bit-bar

us Offline BauerMobileToolSystems

• My JerryRig tips: www.facebook.com/BauerCustom
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 12:36:47 PM
Doesn't look like it is sold outside of the US (or lowes for that matter)  :rant: :bnghd: :poh:

Arrrggghhh Grrrr...Look how mad I am with the angry smilies I posted.  ;)

I wonder if there's different branded version of the same tool floating around out there somewhere  :think: ....like for instance; you sometimes see a tool sold under the "Husky" brand in the US, but then what at least looks like the exact same tool sometimes appear over here on like amazon under the brand names "Rolson", "SilverLine", "BluePoint" etc and / or on AliExpress under the WORKPRO (or other) brand.. :dunno:
Can you get the LoggerHead Bit Dr out there? It holds more than twice the bits & has more features. About double price though

Offline mikekoz

Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 07:26:19 PM
   Lowe's web page was showing these at $1.99 today! A store in a nearby town was showing 6 of them. I just bought them and will pick them up on Saturday! Cannot wait to check them out!!   :climber: :woohoo:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 08:33:21 PM
   Lowe's web page was showing these at $1.99 today! A store in a nearby town was showing 6 of them. I just bought them and will pick them up on Saturday! Cannot wait to check them out!!   :climber: :woohoo:
Nice one mikekoz :like: :tu:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 09:12:21 PM
   Looks like it aint gonna happen!  :cry:    I was just notified the order was cancelled because they were out of stock. I just looked online again, and the store I ordered from is still showing 6! I knew it was too good to be true!   

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 09:21:15 PM
Sorry to hear that mikekoz  :facepalm:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 07:45:45 AM
Been doing some thinking on slimming down my EDC. I think this, a Spyderco in the pocket and a classic on my keys might make a solid EDC  :think:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 04:18:26 PM
Apparently Kobalt got the the patent from a startup company called big idea design. Here's a link to their product demo. https://youtu.be/zZRdoG_0ZLM and they also confirmed that they licensed it to them when I asked about it.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
* _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (Filesize: 152.36 KB)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:20:55 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24