Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fury Tactical Spike 32206

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Fury Tactical Spike 32206
on: July 06, 2018, 01:03:29 AM
Today I'm reviewing the Fury Tactical Spike, currently sold on Amazon for under $15.

The plier head is not spring-loaded in any way. It opens up so that the marlin spike is extended and locked into position with a liner lock. The liner lock makes the pliers drag, they don't just open freely and loosely. You have to use fingers on the inside of the spike in order to open the jaws because of the drag from that liner lock. Because of the plier shape and pivot location, the pliers just aren't that useful. They don't open wide enough to grip much of anything. As the lower jaw opens it moves backwards, away from the top jaw, and thus can't get purchase on nuts. The upper jaw is hollow sheet metal (no pic, but you can tell because the spike rotates through the space inside the upper jaw), so even if it could grip nuts, the sheet metal is not going to be strong enough to put real torque on a nut. These pliers are good for pulling a fish hook out of a fish, or maybe crimping a wire connector.

There is no cutter on the head at all, so the plier is of very limited use IMO.

The little loop that holds the plier handle/spike in place is of absolutely ZERO use. Because of the shape of the spike/handle, you can open the plier and the retaining loop will slide right off the end. Instead of thinking of it as a retention method, I see it as a place to attach a lanyard.

The blade is a small serrated edge with a one-hand opener. It has OHO for either righties or lefties. It's crazy sharp, has zero side play, and locks in place nicely.

The marlin spike looks absolutely wicked when extended. It looks like the velociraptor claw that Dr. Alan Grant had in the first Jurassic Park movie.  It's useful for untying knots and looking badass, and it makes an excellent back-scratcher.

This tool would be a lot more useful with a clip for pocket carry, as it comes with no sheath to speak of.

Anyhoo, it's kinda neat for $14, but I'm not sure what I'm ever going to use it for.

Charles.
IMG_4205.jpg
* IMG_4205.jpg (Filesize: 205.75 KB)
IMG_4200.jpg
* IMG_4200.jpg (Filesize: 208.27 KB)
IMG_4201.jpg
* IMG_4201.jpg (Filesize: 224.05 KB)
IMG_4203.jpg
* IMG_4203.jpg (Filesize: 188.24 KB)

• No Life Club
Re: Fury Tactical Spike 32206
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 01:05:01 AM
Also, the thing looks like a Piranha. I think I'm going to paint an eye on the pivot just for smurfs and giggles. 

Charles.
IMG_4206.jpg
* IMG_4206.jpg (Filesize: 170.1 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 02:43:31 AM
That is quite a unique looking tool. Not sure about its' usefulness, but I need one, regardless.  :D

Thank you for the review, CC! :like:

Edit: Will be receiving one on Sunday. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:47:25 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 03:43:45 AM
It looks just like the Myerchin P300 Sailor's Tools at about half the price of the Myerchins.  The P300s in red, blue, or silver do have pocket clips as well as nylon sheaths and both the blade and the spike lock.  The Fury has one advantage besides the price point in that there aren't any P300s on e-bay or available from Myerchin at the moment.  It may be a discontinued model but I wouldn't care to speculate. :cheers:
P300.jpg
* P300.jpg (Filesize: 24.13 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 03:46:28 AM
Charles is an enabler.   :D
20180708_204313-1.jpeg
* 20180708_204313-1.jpeg (Filesize: 138.56 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 03:53:32 PM
Charles is an enabler.   :D

wow, those two look incredibly similar in shape and size  :o
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 05:54:30 PM
With a few extra bucks this knife becomes a LOT more useful. I attached a hip clip to this knife, and positioned it in such a way that the pliers are pointed downward, and the loop with my paracord attached is at the top. Compared to the meyerchin, this sits a lot deeper into the pocket, and the paracord dangling out my pocket makes it super easy to slide out.  The flat scales are perfectly suited to this kind of adhesive clip. I used alcohol on the scales, attached the clip, and then clamped it in a vise (light pressure) for 24 hours.  That clip is NOT coming off.

Because I use a noose knot for my paracord, I can shorten the loop and keep it just as a tassel for pulling the knife out easier, or I can clip one end to a carabiner and to my belt loop, and extend the noose out all the way and use it while it's still attached to my belt. It's still a gimmicky knife. It's still a mostly serrated blade. But I kinda liked it. Used it to open a giant bag of dog food, and then extracted a screw that was just fit into a hole (not threaded in) but wouldn't just fall out from gravity. Jaws still don't open wide enough to be all that useful - a SOG Micro ToolClip is a better choice - but I can't help but like this thing.

Charles.
spike_clip.jpg
* spike_clip.jpg (Filesize: 299.38 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 06:19:51 PM
Very nice! I was not familiar with that niteize clip. Now you can walk about with Fury in your pocket! :like:

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 10:26:46 PM
Oh yeah, it's also positioned so that when I remove it from my pocket, the plier handle is in the correct position to immediately start using the pliers. Liking this a bit more now. Still not enough tools to make it an EDC though.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD