Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why are the 130mm knives so tool-poor?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Why are the 130mm knives so tool-poor?
on: July 06, 2018, 09:43:07 AM
I'd really like a Ranger Grip with the fold-out pliers, a plain blade, wood saw, metal file/metal saw, and an inline phillips driver. Such a beast does not exist. And I can't even get close with the tools they have. None of the Ranger grips with the pliers have a wood saw as an option. Or even a phillips driver in place of the corkscrew. I'd have to buy a 78 and a 74 and combine a bunch of parts to get a saw and screwdriver.

Does Victorinox not really care about this line? Or is it fresh and just ramping up? Or what?

Also kinda missing the Wenger Ranger's clip point blades. Those were schweet.

Charles.

nz Offline moonweasel

Re: Why are the 130mm knives so tool-poor?
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:27:50 AM
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 11:39:04 AM by moonweasel »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 11:33:46 AM
Victorinox Locksmith + Leatherman Skeletool is probably a better combination.  Or a Surge. :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:19:30 PM
I think they favour the blade on those knives. For a more complete toolset, you have the Swisstool or Spirit.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 07:36:35 AM
Kind of in-topic information : all 130mm (at least Victorinox's) have the option to insert driver bits in their handle (bottom center of the front).
One only needs to replace the front scale on knives that don't have the hole with a 130mm scale which does. This allows for some pretty cool colour combinations too.
The only issue may be wooden handles but someone à bit crafty may be able to make that hole him-/herself.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 08:53:05 AM
That ranger grip 95 rescue tool 2 is pretty much exactly what I want. And of course it’s rare and impossible to find. Argh.

Charles.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 01:49:00 PM
Weight. My Fireman (111mm) weighs as much as a Buck 110, which because of the fact I carried the latter for 2 years before buying the Fireman, made me used to the weight. 130mm, being an inch longer, even more so.   Usually, I make the habit of carrying a SAK and tough linesman's or combination pliers.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 01:51:41 PM
Kind of in-topic information : all 130mm (at least Victorinox's) have the option to insert driver bits in their handle (bottom center of the front).
One only needs to replace the front scale on knives that don't have the hole with a 130mm scale which does. This allows for some pretty cool colour combinations too.
The only issue may be wooden handles but someone à bit crafty may be able to make that hole him-/herself.

:worthless:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:34 PM

:worthless:
There you go, it's hard to show on picture because it's pretty tight. Look at the hole location on the first pic then check the inside of the knife on the second picture. You can kind of see that the liner/spacer has a matching hole in the same place even though the scale doesn't have a hole there.

Couldn't find a picture of a front 130mm Victorinox liner to illustrate my point. It's a bit easier to see with the knife in your hand than on these pics but still

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%