Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

John Wick 2 - Blades in the film

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
John Wick 2 - Blades in the film
on: July 07, 2018, 10:52:23 PM
We have mentioned these already at one point in the forums but the pics are gone thanks to Smurfbucket,  :rant: so I will make a thread about them as I rewatched the film today and I captured the blades in pics  :D

John Wick's options, when preparing for his mission in Rome  :angel:

Show content

On the upper spaces we can see an Emerson Karambit, a Cold Steel Double Agent PE and a Cold Steel Tiger Claw (lower display) and a Cold Steel Black Talon II in SE, what appear to be two Emerson folders and on the right side an Emerson CQC10 with the opening hole (upper display)

Show content

Harcore knife nuts  :whistle: will be able to distinguish three Emerson knives in the very bottom (most likely a CQC13, CQC12 and a CQC8  :salute:) in a very brief shot when the box is yet to be opened

Show content

finally the box opens, revealing (top to bottom) a Microtech Scarab, Benchmade Balisong (model 42?  :think:), a Cold Steel Safe Maker II Push Dagger, a Cold Steel Tokyo Spike, a Microtech Combat Troodon (which John Wick picks as his knife), a Benchmade SOCP Dagger and a Microtech Folder of sorts we cannot see in full

Here two pics of John Wick's Combat Troodon  :dd:

Show content

and on the train scene  :mn:

Show content

his rival Cassian uses a Cold Steel Counter Tac I Dagger in a Kydex sheath with inverted (tip up) carry  8)

which is (SPOILER)
Show content
ultimately used to kill Cassian himself  :P

and another rival uses a Cold Steel Safe Maker Push Dagger,

which is (SPOILER) 
Show content
again used to kill its owner, can't beat John Wick!!  :ahhh :rofl:

in brief, the Microtech is used to kill at least one person, the Counter Tac stabs John in the chest and leg  :dwts: throughout the movie and kills another person, and the Safe Maker gets a quick thrust into Wick's abdomen  :surrender:, and also stabs another person through the hand and finally into its heart  :oops:

the one we didn't get to see was the KaBar Tanto from the first movie  :(

this movie was blade-filled, and additionally was as entertaining as the first time seeing it and as the first movie was to me  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: John Wick 2 - Blades in the film
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 12:26:11 AM
I haven't see Wick #2, but #1 was fun.

You've got a good eye there Peacent!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 06:09:58 AM
Wick 3!!!! Oh yeah.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 07:12:58 AM
Havent seen JW2 but I did enjoy JW1.  Great selection of knives.  Well spotted ThePeace  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:58:55 AM
well I didn''t pay attention to which knives were there but it is a nice collection. hmmm next week movies - snatch, john wick 1 and john wick 2
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 01:14:55 PM
I rarely get excited over new movies, but I am anxious for John Wick 3, and Keanu has always been one of my favorite actors.  :tu:

He is also a knife nut and he personally carries Emerson knives in his daily life.  :o
In the net you can find him wearing Emerson Knives T-Shirts and hats/caps

He tries to include Emerson knives in his latest films such as John Wick series or The Man Of Tai Chi,   :mn: where his character carries and uses an Emerson horseman throughout the movie (he even "Waves" it twice out of his pocket  :ahhh :D)

Due to the success of the first movie, Microtech released a "John Wick" limited series of automatic knives like those that appear in the film  :gimme:

https://www.google.es/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwibgfHQqo_cAhXGIpoKHcujBREQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bladehq.com%2Fitem--Marfione-Custom-John-Wick-Elite--71785&psig=AOvVaw3zeLV4smUgf6BEpXLc_Bx2&ust=1531133412832408

in the first movie he used both Microtechs, the KaBar Tanto and his rival in the end fight uses a classic Italian Automatic Stiletto  :salute:

This is his main carry in the first film, which he keeps in the second one  :like:

and he'll be using it too in John Wick 3 as this picture of them shooting a scene for the third movie shows Keanu with the MT in his hand  :multi:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 03:42:38 PM
I've had a few Emersons, and I have not been impressed. Keanu would do better with a Benchmade or Spydie.

I will say they are built to be sturdy. But I loathe the chisel grind most of Emerson's knives have and the fit and finish were not good on mine. The wave feature.....meh....more gimmick than use, and I wonder how often someone's knife gets snagged in his or her pocket. Cool, but maybe not a great idea. Cheap knives with a high price tag. And I found them to be heavy and uncomfortable.

I'm not sure where the hype about Emersons came from. I got rid of all but one of mine, an A-100. 

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 04:39:10 PM
the tactical knife craze. and the fact that Ernie Emerson can prove the story about the development of some models.
I've heard some people say that you'll either love 'em or hate 'em, and often giving the comparison of Harley Davidson bikes or whiskey. under regular use, I can't say that they would do something better than any other well made knife. outside of that regular use, so some extreme circumstances, in my own collection there are 4 folders I would trust and 3 of those are based on familiarity and experience with them (all being Vics) and one being the PM2 that is riding in my EDC bag or in the pocket (work / off work carry) since it got here

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 05:26:34 PM
Well, there is no doubt in my mind that Emerson's are tough knives (having owned three). But I don't think they are good knives or practical knives.

They may be 'tactical', but seriously, how is a 3.5" folding knife suitable for anything but last-ditch, desperate, self-defense? Really desperate. There are about 5 objects within arm's reach right now that would be better self-defense tools than a tiny knife. One that can fold up on itself. And I blame the portrayal of these 'tools' as 'weapons' for some of the harsh laws we knife-fans now face.  :rant:

On the plus side: Emerson's are made sturdy with good materials (G-10, 154cm, big stainless pins).
On the negative side: they are heavy and clumsy. The ergos aren't great (at least for me). The chisel edge is not a good utility edge, and I don't think any of my Emerson's came sharpened to a level that I found acceptable (I do like a sharp edge). The fit and finish were lame on all three of my Emerson's.

I'm looking at my A-100 right now: the blade is off center, it scrapes the liner lock as it deploys, the steel liners are uneven and have small gaps, the G-10 scales are a bit oversized. I removed the clip, but, if memory serves, it was a bit loose and didn't 'clip' so much as hang in the pocket.

The Harley is a good comparison. A Harley from 1979. Cool but not built terribly well.

It may be fine for 'combat', but it's crap for working with. I really think the 'chisel edge' is gimmick to save on production costs. It is no easier to sharpen than a proper knife edge.

Most people carry a knife to use as a tool (this includes commandos and the like). What is wanted is a good working edge. Some specialty kitchen knives use a chisel edge (I've got a nice garasuki as a good example) for specific tasks, so there maybe be a role for the chisel edge, but for a general-purpose pocket knife, a proper V-edge is far better (FFG, Convexed, Hollow, Scandi all have merits, but they all share a symmetric edge). 

My last Emerson, the A-100 above, came with a V-grind and a chisel edge. I hated it. But I used an Edgepro (Lansky-type system) to completely regrind the edge. It is now actually sharp and a decent utility knife. If I needed it in a defensive role, I doubt it would be any less effective than the crap edge it came with. So where's the sense in a chisel-edge?

I can't claim to be a 'hater', but I'm certainly no 'fan' either.

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 07:26:44 PM
To be fair I love Harleys and Indians, whiskey is my drink of choice, so I'd probably like Emersons. As far as ergos go, Ernest himself said that his ergos are unusual because depending on the model they just fit or they seem like junk. Which would mean one has to try out multiple to find if any of them fit.

I like the look of that A-100 but I'm not sure I'd use it carelessly due to not knowing if there is even the slightest chance of slipping up on the blade.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 07:57:09 PM
To be fair I love Harleys and Indians, whiskey is my drink of choice, so I'd probably like Emersons. As far as ergos go, Ernest himself said that his ergos are unusual because depending on the model they just fit or they seem like junk. Which would mean one has to try out multiple to find if any of them fit.

I like the look of that A-100 but I'm not sure I'd use it carelessly due to not knowing if there is even the slightest chance of slipping up on the blade.

Harleys look cool........I could see riding a Road King.
Whisky, oh hell yes.
Emersons.........nah.

I will say, the A-100 has a very positive grip and there is little chance of slipping up on it if held firmly.  There is a slight swell to the grip. Shape, aggressive G-10, some jimping. All add up to a positive, slightly uncomfortable, grip.

But you wouldn't like it if you are a lefty. It's not ambidexterous. Why? I have no idea...... well, I guess the liner lock would be harder to use if it were ambi.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:58:10 PM by Nix »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 04:10:48 PM
in all truth Emersons have their appeal (especially if you are taking into consideration the "Man" and company themselves) but lack features that their compeittors have, and especailly at that price point.

You always hear or read about fit and finish, ::) centering, tolerances  :rofl:, lock slip and lock stick and so on, it really shows that Mr.Emerson couldn't keep the pace with other companies and now they are mostly subsisting on a loyal fan base established years ago when their materials were the latest, their blade steel the flavor of the month and the construction was similar to that of other companies. :oops:

The Chisel thing has been a debated issue since their beginnings  :twak:, and Emerson's reply often has been that their knives were intended to "cut" things in an emergency without being pretty, elegant or delicate in the cutting  :mn:, they just needed to "get the job done" and ergonomics and edge finesse were never priorities in their original design intent  :think:

if that is an excuse for poor craftsmanship and overlooking important things, or there is a real reasoning behind them is something that only Mr.Emerson will be able to say for sure  ???
they are not bad at all, and have fans and success for a reason, but they are not what they touted to be nor does it seem like they've tried to improve or evolve too much  :P

now, I credit Mr.Emeron for the Wave and even though I am not an operator, combatant, specops high speed low drag trooper or anything like that, I liek the idea, appreciate its functionality when I only got one had to use (holding stuff with the other hand, not wanting a dirty glove with dirt into my pocket etc.) and it performs well in many circumstances

but, again, it seems like Spyderco and Cold Steel among others have operfected and evolved the original design to be better and more reliable  :tu:, and Emerson doesn't seem to listen much to other Wave designs other than to get his frand royalties  :D
My toys:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 05:18:06 PM
A friend bought me an Emerson mini commander.  I like it because it was a gift.  The wave feature IMO is cool.  I have a spydie with wave feature that gets carried for work.  Having that wave feature for me means simplicity.  I reach for my knife and while pulling it out of my pocket the wave catches and opens the knife.  I only take my knife out when needing it or putting it away for the day.  As for the Emersons, I have read all the hype and criticism.  Well, not ALL of it but enough to see there are some loyal fans of the brand.   Yay for Mr Emerson, he seems to be a all around good dude.  He's certainly stuck to his model and has a following to continue to keep his doors open.  I do feel the knife could use a refresh in areas.  A sharpened crow bar could also cut but I wouldn't carry one.  Emerson appeals to those that dig the story and the man behind the blades.  No fault on them or the knife.  Not exactly my ideal blade but I wont sell mine off any time soon. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 06:23:43 PM
Well the Wave feature can also open a bottle of beer. They have an appeal to them and to be honest I gravitate more towards those knives than the $400+ ones. But the point stands that with their price there are a lot of options.
SARK for instance is an interesting model that has competition but is also oddly unique. I do wish that Emerson did a collaboration with a company like Spyderco to put out a bit of a different twist on his signature style and features

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 08:27:31 PM
Well the Wave feature can also open a bottle of beer. They have an appeal to them and to be honest I gravitate more towards those knives than the $400+ ones. But the point stands that with their price there are a lot of options.
SARK for instance is an interesting model that has competition but is also oddly unique. I do wish that Emerson did a collaboration with a company like Spyderco to put out a bit of a different twist on his signature style and features

well you always have the Endura/Delica Emerson, the P'Kal and the new 2018 Tropen from Spyderco  :salute:
but AFAIK Emerson has only done collabs with Kershaw and ZT (bot a sub-brand of KAI) with excellent success, 8)

so the guy knows there's a market out there for his designs made by other companies, but I bet that having the patent of the Wave and the rights over it is enough for Mr.Emerson (he's gotten money for it from FOX, HEST, Spyderco, KAI, and probably others like BROUS)  :whistle:
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%