Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Truss and Suspension NXT

Sam Lim · 97 · 13945

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Gerber Truss and Suspension NXT
on: July 09, 2018, 06:56:53 PM
This pair just came in my mail today!  :mail:

Overall impression, not impressed!!  :facepalm:

Anyone else bought these? Any inputs?
IMG_20180710_002645-912x684.jpg
* IMG_20180710_002645-912x684.jpg (Filesize: 189.93 KB)
IMG_20180710_003117-912x684.jpg
* IMG_20180710_003117-912x684.jpg (Filesize: 180.9 KB)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:01:57 PM by Sam Lim »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Gerber Truss and Suspension NXT
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:09:24 PM
What is wrong with them Sam :think:
They look nice but that doesn’t mean they are any good  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:21:17 PM
There's so much to not like about them. I dun know where to start. I am on my phone now so typing lengthy post is going to cramp my fingers. I can only say.. I learnt to appreciate my OG suspension more after today.. I will try to post a proper hands on opinion of this when I get to my computer. Its bad..

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:59:40 PM
 :popcorn: :tu:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 12:09:30 AM
I can't speak for the other two, but I love my suspension. I've had it for 4 years now, and have put it through all kinds of hard use, it was my first Gerber mt. The only bad thing about the suspension was the sheath it came with. I am curious about that new truss Sam, what all don't you like about it. I was considering one, but have yet to actually see one in person, if it seems like a piece of junk, I'm not going to waste the money on it.
Send In the spartans

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 02:02:59 AM
the nxt looks pretty uncomfortable

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 03:26:26 AM
I tried to order both last night and got a backorder notice. I cancelled them. I kind of knew they would be junky, but I needed them for my collection. :facepalm:

I'll try again next week after paycheck. Ordered SOG baton 1 & 4 instead today.   :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 06:36:25 AM
I have time tonight. I am going to make some noise here. Seriously no one else bought this?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:53:50 PM
I have time tonight. I am going to make some noise here. Seriously no one else bought this?

hopefully not, well maybe GLBM by now
 :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 02:45:28 PM

Nah.. He said he cancelled the order. But I guess no matter how bad I am going to say they are, he's still secretly going to acquire it. Eh? GLBM?  :pok:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:48 PM

Nah.. He said he cancelled the order. But I guess no matter how bad I am going to say they are, he's still secretly going to acquire it. Eh? GLBM?  :pok:

no, not secretly at all. He'll post pics and the "Collection/Gerber group" as soon as he can  :D

I, for one, enjoy his pics of the variety of models and his views on them  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 03:11:29 PM
The anticipation and speculation are killing me!  :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 03:17:52 PM

You lot really have my #, don't you?  :rofl:
Next paycheck I will be ordering both. I wish the site I tried ordering them from had been able to send them out. But, I've needed the SOG Q1 & Q4 for a while and ordered those. :D

Don't forget,  I am the sucker who paid full price for a PowerDuo. The NXT and Truss cannot be that bad, relatively.  :ahhh

no, not secretly at all. He'll post pics and the "Collection/Gerber group" as soon as he can  :D

I, for one, enjoy his pics of the variety of models and his views on them  :salute:
Thank you, TP!  :cheers:
Hopefully I'll be able to order the nxt and truss by next Satuday. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 06:51:42 PM
Ok. First, I think I need much better lighting in the house... I apologise for the dark boring pics....

This post will be more of a early impression of both the shiny new tools. Hands on impression may or may not come later :whistle:. I am not too sure where to start. I think let's see some pictures first.

A look at the new tool set that comes with the new tools. Pretty much all of them have been redesigned. Pliers are the exact same for all the 3 models.

I type base on what I think I have read in the past. So I could be wrong here. The Suspension NXT is designed to be a slimmer, more toned down version based on the OG Suspension. TRUSS is designed to fully replace the OG Suspension with similar tool set.

Personally, I like the NXT more than the Truss due to it being a slimmer size and the overall design of the handle frame. The design and the cut outs on the Truss looks to be very amateurish or just like a rushed job to carry on the "suspension bridge" design to me... sorry Gerber..

Why am I disappointed....

Both tools are really really very uncomfortable in the hands. In its closed form, the edges are rather not rounded and are rather sharp-ish ( not cutting sharp but edgy sharp :think:) and there are many pointy hotspots all over. There is no way I can convey the feeling to you.. you have to embrace them, squeeze them, to really feel my pain... Its really really terrible. This applies to both tools. Truss being the worse. I can literally scrape my finger nails off most of the edges on the Truss.

In the pliers form, they are not much better... basically, even when u are just holding the tool, there will always be something digging into you palm..

They share the same implements. So the "issue" I see with some tools,

Scissors. They added a thumbpad for it. Hooray! Well not really... if you have used the Wingman scissors before, this feels exactly like that. The kind of things you can cut depends greatly on your threshold of pain.. remember the sharp-ish edges I mentioned? That applies to the thumbpad as well..

Screwdriver/File/Pry tool? (if it looks like one,someone will use it as one) This is one confused tool. I think these 3 tools combination is the worse marriage that will make the MT God weep.. :facepalm:

Flathead screwdriver/wire stripper combo. IDK, looks like a weak point to snap the screwdriver to me. Maybe I am just paranoid..

Pocket clip on the NXT. You tell me whats wrong.. Its definitely coming off from mine.

These are factory issue that I have.. my NXT arrived with a stripped screw and Truss with a bent blade tip....... These traveled halfway across the globe to reach me so sending them back is not really an option. Yay! :twak:.....

Some things I noticed..

Apparently they think that people are growing bigger and have larger hands so they made the handle splay for the NXT wider.

They both have a very sturdy built. Very very minimal handle flex when squeezing the handles together. One of the best for sure. And also incredibly painful ones.

There's alot of void space under the implements for the Truss. Making it unnecessarily wide. 

One of the good thing, at least  ;)

So........ is this a buy?

Ask me I will say, Yes. I think with some patience and tender love, I think the NXT will be really sweet. Truss, sorry I do not quite like you..
Ask GLBM, Definitely. possibly one or 2 in his cart now.
Ask Chako, Quite a positive Yes
Ask TP, I think so. ;)

You? 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 07:25:31 PM
 :-\
Bummer, but thanks for the warning.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 08:17:14 PM
They'll sure both make good shelf Queens when mine come. :rofl:
I didn't like the suspension much, and it looks as if Gerber made the suspension even worse to use. More splay? That was my biggest issue with the OG suspension and variants.

Oh well. They do look quite nice and will be put to rest in my Gerber drawers.  :D

Thank you for posting about them, Sam! I usually agree with you, so your observations about the new Gerbers are taken seriously.
Hopefully Gerber will realize the parts\handles need to stay in the tumblers a bit longer to soften the edges. :)

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 01:43:08 AM
     I have the nxt and have been pocket carrying it for about two weeks.  I have a truss coming, for the plain blade  >:D and to have a sheath if I want to belt carry.   I really like the phillips screwdriver, which for me is its best feature.  I do not need to cut anything harder than copper data wire and small copper ground wire.  I don't have a problem given the great price.  I agree with the sharp feeling of the edges but don't mind putting it to work.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 06:17:12 AM
     I have the nxt and have been pocket carrying it for about two weeks.  I have a truss coming, for the plain blade  >:D and to have a sheath if I want to belt carry.   I really like the phillips screwdriver, which for me is its best feature.  I do not need to cut anything harder than copper data wire and small copper ground wire.  I don't have a problem given the great price.  I agree with the sharp feeling of the edges but don't mind putting it to work.

I too love the long shank phillips  :like:. I remove the clip yesterday and have been sheath carrying it for 2 days. I am starting to like this. I never took a second look or really use the anvil type cutter on the OG suspension but after trying the NXT, it turn out to be quite alright. Quite impressive actually. It actually cuts even stranded copper wire. So it's good for me. Happy. Will try to put in some parts from the suspension and a file to see if they are compatible. Still need to smooth out the edges. I think this NXT will turn out alright after all. It's definitely value for money even for the flaws.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 06:19:12 AM
They'll sure both make good shelf Queens when mine come. :rofl:
I didn't like the suspension much, and it looks as if Gerber made the suspension even worse to use. More splay? That was my biggest issue with the OG suspension and variants.

Oh well. They do look quite nice and will be put to rest in my Gerber drawers.  :D

Thank you for posting about them, Sam! I usually agree with you, so your observations about the new Gerbers are taken seriously.
Hopefully Gerber will realize the parts\handles need to stay in the tumblers a bit longer to soften the edges. :)

:salute: dun take my words for it. U may actually fall in love with them. Embrace them.. feel the raw edges.. feel the pain bro...  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 07:03:32 AM
Quote from: Sam Lim
:salute: dun take my words for it. U may actually fall in love with them. Embrace them.. feel the raw edges.. feel the pain bro...  :cheers:
I've damaged the nerves in my hands to the point where the edges won't be an issue. :rofl:
I have assumptions about the new Gerbers that lead me to think they will feel cheap, but I may be subjectively wrong. We'll see. :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 12:12:27 PM
 :popcorn: :like: :like:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 07:36:26 AM
A real bummer. Was looking forward to these tools.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 11:48:41 AM
A real bummer. Was looking forward to these tools.

I am actually starting to like the NXT. There are some shortcomings but it's definitely worth more than the $28 I have paid for it. The only thing I still cannot get used to is the splay. I am not too prepared to do something to it just yet. Truss is whole different story.. I still dislike it as much as the day I first touched it....

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 10:30:18 AM
Today I made some corrections to the NXT..

Switched in a plain edge from the OG Suspension, I like the Wharncliffe blade alot.
Included a small screwdriver from the OG Suspension.
Swopped in a file from the Mp600.
Grounded the can opener into another screw driver.
Gave the scissors a proper edge.
Closed up the handle splay.
Rounded off any rough edges that I can feel.

The tools are interchangeable with the OG suspension and MP600/400 series.. This is really one sweet platform to work with. Liking it more day by day.
IMG_20180714_162118-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180714_162118-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 212.53 KB)
IMG_20180714_162150-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180714_162150-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 146.17 KB)
IMG_20180714_162300-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180714_162300-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 248.62 KB)
IMG_20180714_162340-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180714_162340-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 205 KB)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 12:21:24 PM
Excellent job Sam :dd: :like: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 12:47:26 PM
way better now  :like:
My toys:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 01:11:50 PM
Thanks WS and TP. It's available on Amazon now. A little more ex than on Blade HQ and KC. I quite a recommended buy.  :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 03:13:04 PM
Sam,
It is awesome you were able to redeem that Gerber. Now, all that is left, is for Gerber to make similar alterations.

Very nice work, as always. :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 04:24:46 PM
Sam,
It is awesome you were able to redeem that Gerber. Now, all that is left, is for Gerber to make similar alterations.

Very nice work, as always. :cheers:

:cheers: just doing what I enjoy.

I have some questions GLBM, I recently bought 2 polished stuffs..  ;) but are the handle splay normal? Seems pretty close but they doesn't seem to have been modified before.
IMG_20180714_222156-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180714_222156-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 164.53 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%