Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Truss and Suspension NXT

Sam Lim · 97 · 13944

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Gerber Truss and Suspension NXT
Reply #30 on: July 14, 2018, 05:27:53 PM
Didn't they make a point about these two having less handle splay than the OG Suspension?  :think:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 14, 2018, 06:07:11 PM
Didn't they make a point about these two having less handle splay than the OG Suspension?  :think:

Not quite sure... But the Truss does have a slightly lesser splay than the original. But the whole tool is big. Unnecessarily bulky and uncomfortable.

But I can't stress enough how bad the Truss is.. They like sandwiched the pliers and tools between 2 thin sheets of metal then decided to do some half hearted designs on the frame and call it a successor to the Suspension.. The NXT is much better constructed, thicker body frame and better designed. And it's cheaper by $10.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:23:33 PM by Sam Lim »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #32 on: July 15, 2018, 10:56:23 PM
I really like your mods. What did you have to do to reduce the handle splay?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 06:31:16 AM
Bummer. I was hoping they'd be good to go. I will not bother with these. Unless they somehow fix the issues. Thanks Sam.  :salute:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 09:18:44 AM
I really like your mods. What did you have to do to reduce the handle splay?

U can file down a little on the spring tab that stops the pliers. Go little by little though. I did only about 2mm. 1 caveat though. The handles will not close as tight as original but they will still stay closed. But that doesn't bother me a bit.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 06:45:40 AM
Bummer. I was hoping they'd be good to go. I will not bother with these. Unless they somehow fix the issues. Thanks Sam.  :salute:

:salute: I am usually quite harsh on my MT requirements.. That why i usually alter them to what I need. Like this recently change, I threw out the original awl and replaced with this. The original awl tip was gone even with light reaming on plywood.

Well, someone that have the Truss may have a different though.
IMG_20180718_124230-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180718_124230-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 112.78 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 07:43:12 AM
Sam,
Is that a Gerber MPT/MP V.2 awl? I can't quite tell.
Looks great in there! Nice job.  :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 10:16:34 AM
Sam,

It's from a not sure which version Mr Pinchy. It have 2 holes on the pliers pivot and both screw post on the tools side. That's one of the craziest awl I have come across..

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 10:20:50 AM
That's a pretty awl.  :dd:

I kinda feel that older tools are better in quality perhaps during then, good name manufacturers are trying to outdo one another by quality. Now.. They tend to throw out new designs but usability is very often questionable..  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 02:43:14 PM
Sam,

It's from a not sure which version Mr Pinchy. It have 2 holes on the pliers pivot and both screw post on the tools side. That's one of the craziest awl I have come across..
Wow. That would be a V.1 or V.2 Multi-Plier (Pinchy). That awl is what they replaced those embarassing scissors with. :)
Very nice pick for a mod! That particular awl is often overlooked. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 03:45:42 PM
I love that old awl design  :dd:

great improvement!  :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: July 23, 2018, 08:52:53 PM
Sam,
It is awesome you were able to redeem that Gerber. Now, all that is left, is for Gerber to make similar alterations.

Very nice work, as always. :cheers:

:cheers: just doing what I enjoy.

I have some questions GLBM, I recently bought 2 polished stuffs..  ;) but are the handle splay normal? Seems pretty close but they doesn't seem to have been modified before.

Hey Sam,
I apologize for not having seen your post before now. How much wear on the pliers and tools do those two have? The wider one seems more normal, but the one where the handles are nearly parallel look bad. Check the bolsters for cracks and turn the screws on the handles where the pliers connect. A lot of times the older Bears will have bent barrels.

Also, I got my Truss in today. :D
I will save my initial thoughts for later though. :ahhh

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 12:07:56 AM
Caved and bought both.   :-[

Will probably file down the tabs like Sam did. 

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 07:02:07 PM
Caved and bought both.   :-[

Will probably file down the tabs like Sam did.

:rofl:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 07:09:17 PM
Sam,
It is awesome you were able to redeem that Gerber. Now, all that is left, is for Gerber to make similar alterations.

Very nice work, as always. :cheers:

:cheers: just doing what I enjoy.

I have some questions GLBM, I recently bought 2 polished stuffs..  ;) but are the handle splay normal? Seems pretty close but they doesn't seem to have been modified before.

Hey Sam,
I apologize for not having seen your post before now. How much wear on the pliers and tools do those two have? The wider one seems more normal, but the one where the handles are nearly parallel look bad. Check the bolsters for cracks and turn the screws on the handles where the pliers connect. A lot of times the older Bears will have bent barrels.

Also, I got my Truss in today. :D
I will save my initial thoughts for later though. :ahhh

No problem!

The bear looks to be like new. The crescent looks normal light use but it was somewhat cover with some rust crusts that can be brushed off with a wire brush. Doesn't look modified before though. All seems normal. I am fine with it. The handles are very rounded so they doesn't pinch. Well, close handle does have it benefits... I can slip it straight down into my pouch with the pliers out. Doesn't take up space and since pliers are what I use most of the time, it sort of works out..  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 07:25:21 PM
As long as the handles aren't touching when you squeeze them hard, I think they'll be fine. :)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 04:44:19 AM
Just got the truss and nxt in the mail.     :mail:

First impressions:
- holy cow, the handle splay is no joke!  Even worse than the og suspension.  What is Gerber thinking?
- both tools are very uncomfortable, both when using the pliers and when they are closed and using handle tools.  At least the og suspension was very comfortable.  These have many unfinished edges and hot spots. 
- on my next, the blade rubs against both the handle and the plier head.  Terrible.  (At least no bent tips like Sam)
- oho much harder than on og suspension.

More thoughts to come later, but so far unimpressed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:46:51 AM by NetsNJ »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 05:20:45 AM
Do you have a original Suspension to compare them to? I measured the Truss splay a tiny bit less than the original Suspension.
Not sure how using the pliers on the Truss could be more uncomfortable, as the outer edges are rolled over wider than the metal thickness on the original Suspension handle back edges  :think:

I don't have an NXT yet though. Will take accurate measurements when I get one.

Could you post an up-close picture of the handles?  I'd like to see if I just received one that was finished better. I will need to update my threas if that is the case. :ahhh

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #49 on: July 26, 2018, 05:23:45 AM
I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Truss splay is not nearly as bad as NXT.  Yes, I have an og suspension.  I find it very comfortable due to all the rounded edges and thick handles.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:32:31 AM by NetsNJ »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: July 26, 2018, 05:30:33 AM
I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Truss splay is not nearly as bad as NXT.
I am shocked that Gerber made the splay so bad on the smaller of the two new tools. You and Sam mentioned the splay is terrible on the NXT, so I know it has got to be bad. :ahhh
The Truss is technically a bigger MT, so having a wider splay on the NXT is mind boggling. I can't say I'm looking forward to getting an NXT, but it will be interesting to measure the splay on it and compare the handle rolling on the non-tool side to the Truss and Suspension.   :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: July 26, 2018, 06:51:32 AM
Just got the truss and nxt in the mail.     :mail:

First impressions:
- holy cow, the handle splay is no joke!  Even worse than the og suspension.  What is Gerber thinking?
- both tools are very uncomfortable, both when using the pliers and when they are closed and using handle tools.  At least the og suspension was very comfortable.  These have many unfinished edges and hot spots. 
- on my next, the blade rubs against both the handle and the plier head.  Terrible.  (At least no bent tips like Sam)
- oho much harder than on og suspension.

More thoughts to come later, but so far unimpressed.

I really feel like flying over to wherever u are and do a Hi-5 with u.  :cheers:

Despite all my complains on both the tools, I have grown to like the NXT quite a bit. At least the design wise they put in more effort and lesser space wastage. For the past one week, I had been using the NXT and after ironing out most of the shortcomings , I find it to be quite OK-ish. Especially when it's just $28, decent-ish tool set and all of them locks. I am very particular on the pliers cutters that I use cos I cut copper stranded all the time so I am actually pleasantly surprised that this anvil type can do the job. Thought its essentially the same on the OG Suspension, I have never given it a chance. Regarding the handle splay on the NXT, I am suspecting when they are designing the pliers stop, they created that little raised part to given it more tension but in the process, they forgot that will affect the handle splay... But on this NXT, it is one of the most solid folding pliers I have used. The handle doesn't flex when under pressure. I really have to give gerber credit on this.

Truss will be a whole different story... It's still at the exact spot since the day I received it. I am so tempted to swap the tools over to my Mp700 but it's doesn't seems to make sense..
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:58:07 AM by Sam Lim »

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #52 on: July 26, 2018, 05:34:07 PM
Sam, what kind of file did you use to modify the NXT?  I am looking to do something similar, but maybe a bit less removal than you did.

How much looser is it now?  I do like the snap of the NXT.  (Truss has no snap, the sheet metal is inexplicably much thinner.)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 05:53:30 PM
Sam, what kind of file did you use to modify the NXT?  I am looking to do something similar, but maybe a bit less removal than you did.

How much looser is it now?  I do like the snap of the NXT.  (Truss has no snap, the sheet metal is inexplicably much thinner.)

This is the max it will open by itself due to the plier's spring. When u shorten the pliers rest, it will definitely affect this a little. I actually do not quite like the snap.. Its feels too strong for my liking. When closing, the snap is fine but when opening the pliers, oh my.. Everytime I feel its fighting me..
IMG_20180726_234844-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180726_234844-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 127.81 KB)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:09:01 PM by Sam Lim »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: July 26, 2018, 05:54:55 PM
Oh btw, I am getting very lazy day by day.. I use a dremel to shorten the pliers rest.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 06:08:30 PM
I quite like the NXT. It's capable of housing a number of long-ish tools. For $28, its definitely a very good buy.
IMG_20180727_000448-684x855.jpg
* IMG_20180727_000448-684x855.jpg (Filesize: 93.98 KB)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #56 on: July 27, 2018, 05:50:59 AM
Sam how were you even able to remove the screws on the next so that you could file down the tabs?  Mine stripped immediately, with like zero torque.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: July 27, 2018, 06:15:51 AM
You need to put a soldering iron in the driver hole and heat up the loctite before trying to remove the screws. Too late for using a driver though. Time for Vise-Grips. :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #58 on: July 27, 2018, 12:46:56 PM
I quite like the NXT. It's capable of housing a number of long-ish tools. For $28, its definitely a very good buy.

well, it definitely has the looks  :multi:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: July 27, 2018, 01:00:43 PM
Sam how were you even able to remove the screws on the next so that you could file down the tabs?  Mine stripped immediately, with like zero torque.

You can only turn this side. It have a notch at the end of the screw post to prevent it from turning. Much like those on a wave series. I didn't remember I applied heat.. Didn't take much torque for mine to come loose. Once u get it loose, prepare for another disappoint though.. The screw post is not very well finished.. Much like a typical made in Chi#@ nonsense....
IMG_20180727_122417-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180727_122417-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 152.39 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%