Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Truss and Suspension NXT

Sam Lim · 97 · 14212

us Offline NetsNJ

Re: Gerber Truss and Suspension NXT
Reply #60 on: July 28, 2018, 12:55:30 AM
Good to know Sam.  How did you figure that out?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 28, 2018, 03:07:42 AM
Good to know Sam.  How did you figure that out?

Works on all models. Turn the screw post on one end, if the whole thing spins, that means u have to use something on both side. If it doesn't that means there's a stop built in. On the plier's screw post, it's easy. Get in into pliers mode, squeeze and hold down the handle by hand and try to turn the screws one by one. Enough pressure on the handle will usually bites down on the post side. Whichever can turn will be the screw.  ;)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #62 on: July 28, 2018, 06:04:28 PM
Suspension NXT is really growing on me. I like the tool loudout a lot actually.  I also like the thickness of the chassis and the snap.  The splay remains a killer for me though, especially since I have smaller hands given my height.

Have not warmed on the truss though. 

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #63 on: July 28, 2018, 06:59:55 PM
Thanks for the update, NetsNJ !

I am looking forward to getting the NXT now you and Sam have had a chance to try it out. Maybe I liked the Truss, because I didn't have the NXT to compare it to? :think:

Anyway, I am excited about getting an NXT now. :woohoo:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #64 on: July 28, 2018, 07:14:51 PM
The NXT splay is definitely worse than on the Truss, but the Truss is thicker, so it trades off. 

At the end of the day, having two blades instead of one, and a saw, day-to-day isn't worth it for me on the multitool.

I wish the plier jaws opened wider (given size of tool), but that goes back old suspension too.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #65 on: July 30, 2018, 01:01:38 AM
Some photos as promised.  Apologies for crappy quality and my thumb in half of them.   :rofl:

First, some minor differences between Truss and NXT that I noticed.  (Only for those with OCD.)

Different grinds on can opener:

Hard to see in photos, but the Truss awl is longer.   :think:  Why bother Gerber?

Truss has the whole blade profile bead-blasted except for the edge, while NXT has grind lines.  Personally, I like the look of the ground blade.

Now for some real comparisons...

Blades...  Blades are good, I like the shape and thickness, but wish the partially serrated blade on Truss was sheepsfoot and fully serrated.  Oh well.

Saws... Truss is huge improvement on OG Suspension, but still a little thick and stubby.  Victorinox remains king. 

The NXT/Truss phillips is actually amazing!

Weird combo flat-head / ruler / file tool on Sidekick and NXT.  I like the screwdriver.  Rulers on both are useless (not pictured).  File on Gerber looks like crap.  More aggressive than SOG, but unlike the SOG I doubt it is actually hardened.  The Sidekick file is small but actually very well cut.

I really like the thickness of the chassis sheet metal and the tools on the NXT.  It adds to weight but the tool feels incredibly sturdy.  I don't worry about breaking the drivers like I do on the SOG Power Access, which is another mid-sized all outside opening multitool.  (Look how thin the tools are on Power Access, NXT on left!)

Annoyed that spring loaded plier head isn't bigger.  It doesn't open very wide (give the large size of these tools).  The Sidekick, for comparison, which has an excellent head.

Now some splay comparisons (with me awkwardly holding the plier heads shut!):

Lastly, the knife blade in NXT rubbing against chassis AND the plier head really irritates me.  Cost of compactness with these thick tools.

Overall, NXT is growing on me, ordered a second one to keep pristine in collection (Found it for $25 shipped which is amazing given that a Wingman now retails for $50!!).  Truss, still meh.  The tools in the handle are slowly loosening up which is nice.  I really loved how easy it was to fold/unfold tools in old suspension once it loosened up. 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:41:25 AM by NetsNJ »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: July 30, 2018, 02:42:37 AM
Some photos as promised.  Apologies for crappy quality and my thumb in half of them.   :rofl:

First, some minor differences between Truss and NXT that I noticed.  (Only for those with OCD.)

Hard to see in photos, but the Truss awl is longer.   :think:  Why bother Gerber?

Truss has the whole blade profile bead-blasted except for the edge, while NXT has grind lines.  Personally, I like the look of the ground blade.

Blades...  Blades are good, I like the shape and thickness, but wish the partially serrated blade on Truss was sheepsfoot and fully serrated.  Oh well.

Saws... Truss is huge improvement on OG Suspension, but still a little thick and stubby.  Victorinox remains king. 

Weird combo flat-head / ruler / file tool on Sidekick and NXT.  I like the screwdriver.  Rulers on both are useless (not pictured).  File on Gerber looks like crap.  More aggressive than SOG, but unlike the SOG I doubt it is actually hardened.  The Sidekick file is small but actually very well cut.

I really like the thickness of the chassis sheet metal and the tools on the NXT.  It adds to weight but the tool feels incredibly sturdy.  I don't worry about breaking the drivers like I do on the SOG Power Access, which is another mid-sized all outside opening multitool.  (Look how thin the tools are on Power Access, NXT on left!)

Annoyed that spring loaded plier head isn't bigger.  It doesn't open very wide (give the large size of these tools).  The Sidekick, for comparison, which has an excellent head.

Lastly, the knife blade in NXT rubbing against chassis AND the plier head really irritates me.  Cost of compactness with these thick tools.

Overall, NXT is growing on me, ordered a second one to keep pristine in collection (Found it for $25 shipped which is amazing given that a Wingman now retails for $50!!).  Truss, still meh.

Nice! We seem to have the same opinions on these 2 new tools.  ;)
I too bought another NXT :facepalm: but not at your unbeatable price.  This thing is really growing  on me as well.  :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: July 30, 2018, 03:08:29 AM
Thanks for the awesome pictorial, NetsNJ! I JUST ordered the NXT a minute ago(meant to order yesterday and forgot). It should be at my house on Tuesday! :woohoo:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #68 on: July 30, 2018, 03:21:43 AM
Show content

Overall, NXT is growing on me, ordered a second one to keep pristine in collection (Found it for $25 shipped which is amazing given that a Wingman now retails for $50!!).  Truss, still meh.  The tools in the handle are slowly loosening up which is nice.  I really loved how easy it was to fold/unfold tools in old suspension once it loosened up.

Thanks for the pics and thoughts, and wow. $25, that's excellent!  :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #69 on: July 30, 2018, 01:28:59 PM
that's a great price for the tool,  :salute:

and thanks for the pics and comparison NetsNJ, it is very helpful!!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Corso

Reply #70 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:18 PM
Bummer. I was hoping they'd be good to go. I will not bother with these. Unless they somehow fix the issues. Thanks Sam.  :salute:

:salute: I am usually quite harsh on my MT requirements.. That why i usually alter them to what I need. Like this recently change, I threw out the original awl and replaced with this. The original awl tip was gone even with light reaming on plywood.

Well, someone that have the Truss may have a different though.

Hi Sam, was this is a straight swap for that awl or did you have to modify the lock notch?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: August 16, 2018, 07:53:46 AM
Bummer. I was hoping they'd be good to go. I will not bother with these. Unless they somehow fix the issues. Thanks Sam.  :salute:

:salute: I am usually quite harsh on my MT requirements.. That why i usually alter them to what I need. Like this recently change, I threw out the original awl and replaced with this. The original awl tip was gone even with light reaming on plywood.

Well, someone that have the Truss may have a different though.

Hi Sam, was this is a straight swap for that awl or did you have to modify the lock notch?

Not quite a drop in. Pivot hole on original awl was 4mm. Have to enlarge to 4.5mm. The locking part have to modify also.. A little bit of work, but we'll worth the time.

us Offline Corso

Reply #72 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:05 PM
Not quite a drop in. Pivot hole on original awl was 4mm. Have to enlarge to 4.5mm. The locking part have to modify also.. A little bit of work, but we'll worth the time.

Okay, thanks.  I picked up the same awl on eBay after reading your post.  I want to drop it into the Truss when it shows up.  I’ll need to remember your trick of knowing which fastener to loosen up so I don’t strip it.   :tu:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #73 on: September 26, 2018, 07:09:44 PM
I just picked up a NXT at Home Depot. They should have called it the Suspension Lite!  I was hoping they would have had the Truss, but  may have to order that one online. The tool load out is nice, but it is too narrow for my tastes. It is not real uncomfortable in the hands, but my old Suspension is wider and feels better. The Phillips driver is a lot better, however. I hate that flat thing that Gerber and some other manufacturers use. Some of the tools are hard to open, so it may need some adjusting and lubrication.  I also wish it included a sheath, but that is no big deal.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #74 on: October 16, 2018, 04:10:14 AM
   Just got the Truss. At first glance, it seems to be the true successor to the Suspension. It is a bit longer and has longer tools, both of which suit me. I actually prefer a larger multitool and like the Truss over the NXT.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: October 16, 2018, 06:17:07 AM
 :iagree:

I am partial to the Truss as well, especially now that the price has gone down a bit. :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: October 16, 2018, 02:38:11 PM
That tool has an easter egg in its name,  :whistle:
it's the Tool to Replace Upgrade and Substitute the Suspension and I Trust that it has the potential to do that.  :angel:

Looking forward to your pics, thoughts and opinion after some use mikekoz  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: October 16, 2018, 04:28:10 PM
it's the Tool to Replace Upgrade and Substitute the Suspension and I Trust that it has the potential to do that.  :angel:

:like:
I think this is the moment that your family should alert the local psychological sanitarium about a potential mental break-down. :whistle: :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: October 16, 2018, 04:32:16 PM

I think this is the moment that your family should alert the local psychological sanitarium about a potential mental break-down. :whistle: :D

well if that happened I would definitely Trusst my family to decide what to do NXT with me  :facepalm:
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: October 16, 2018, 04:35:16 PM

well if that happened I would definitely Trusst my family to decide what to do NXT with me  :facepalm:
Just don't get yourself Suspended from work or MT.o. :D

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: October 16, 2018, 11:06:44 PM

[/quote

Their truss of you may be in suspension :D
Send In the spartans

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: October 16, 2018, 11:38:27 PM
Personal paradox warning.

:rofl::facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: October 17, 2018, 01:11:27 PM

no worries there, my job position is quite Steady and they'd need an Edict to fire me, after all these years  :dunno:...
It's Crucial to be prepared for a mental breakdown at any time though, because once you're locked up your only Freescape is a Crevice,
a small window of opportunity, a Vital moment of distraction.  :ahhh

That Myth of escaping you've heard, about the inmate who became a Legend by getting out unnoticed, who became a Freeman, a low Profile law abiding citizen back into society, all that can Reveal itself as a true story if you are brave enough to begin the Traverse and Venture into the unknown.

If you do and you succeed, you'll have filled the Void that is inside every one deprived of liberty, and through Hail and snow, fast like a high Octane car in a road without Transit, you'll find your way to Infinity to finally find a place for you and even possibly become a Prodigy , exemplary subject of our society, an Icon of what a man can become when put to task  :hatsoff:

that's some Gerber model variety for you  :D
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: October 17, 2018, 02:02:05 PM
*jaw drops*

I am not a Grappler who can compete with your Freehand play on words. :D
Though, you could Flik a Dime to decide on having Bear Grylls teach you Ultimate Survival and how to Splice the Clutch cable in the Vise, using a CableDawg .
Measure the Raduis of the Center-Drive to avoid  Recoil to the Stratasphere. And you'll need some more Deisel to go on a BullRush .

Edit: Sorry if I used model names you've already used, TP! And there are several more models we haven't covered.  Hahah
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:05:18 PM by gerleatherberman »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: October 18, 2018, 02:47:05 PM
*jaw drops*

I am not a Grappler who can compete with your Freehand play on words. :D
Though, you could Flik a Dime to decide on having Bear Grylls teach you Ultimate Survival and how to Splice the Clutch cable in the Vise, using a CableDawg .
Measure the Raduis of the Center-Drive to avoid  Recoil to the Stratasphere. And you'll need some more Deisel to go on a BullRush .

Edit: Sorry if I used model names you've already used, TP! And there are several more models we haven't covered.  Hahah

very good,
your skills are noteworthy  :D :cheers:
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: October 19, 2018, 03:49:28 AM
 :hatsoff:

I absolutely enjoy 'play on words' stuff. So it is great you do as well. :cheers:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: October 20, 2018, 03:00:12 AM
+1! #1 fan of the PUNitentiary club :D
Send In the spartans

Offline mikekoz

Reply #87 on: October 20, 2018, 10:20:49 PM
   I think all of you are full of Bullrush!!!   :ahhh :pok: :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: October 21, 2018, 06:21:41 AM
 :rofl:

That Freehand comment is a high Octane insult, Mike! :pok: :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: October 21, 2018, 11:50:06 PM
I'm going to try out the NXT for a few days to see if it grows on me. I bought a second for the collection, so I can use the NXT the way it was meant to be used. :multi:
20181021_145823(0)-1.jpeg
* 20181021_145823(0)-1.jpeg (Filesize: 194.43 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%