Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge+ tti saw vertical play?

Offline joshualore

• New User
on: July 10, 2018, 05:37:21 PM
Hey all, first time here!

I just purchased my first Leatherman since the one given me by my dad when I was a teenager. After a lot of research and contemplation (like trying to pick out which Swiss Army knife has the exact tools and features you want -- damn near impossible), I got the Charge Plus TTi. I've read a lot of discussions and reviews (including some of the criticisms of Leatherman's QC in some cases in recent years), but overall so far, I'm really loving this tool.

The one thing I'm feeling a little iffy on is the vertical play on the saw in locked position. There is absolutely zero play or locking issues in any of the other blades -- no locking issue on the saw, either -- but there is a significant amount of vertical play. I do notice that the base of the saw seems to be a thinner, different kind of material than any of the other blades, so this may contribute to that some. But does anyone else experience this?

I'm not sure it will really bother me, as I see no reason I will ever be putting pressure on the back of that tool anyway, but I was a little surprised by it, wondering what others here have experienced. Otherwise, besides a stiff as heck plier hinge, which I figure will loosen up a bit with time, I think I'm quite satisfied.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Charge+ tti saw vertical play?
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:42:16 PM
Welcome to the boards Josh  :cheers:

Hopefully someone that has a Charge will be along shortly to answer your question .  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:56:33 PM
Surprisingly, when you look at the Charge and Wave, it is hard to imagine the Charge costing so much more. The Charge is heavier and not as rugged as the Wave(from my experience with both). I have a TTI and AL, of which the newer AL has a little vertical play in the saw. The TTi doesn't. But, my TTi is an older one.
Both have the file scraping issue (files rubs on the inside of thehandle scale).
The premium steel blade, gut hook and handle scales must cost a fortune to produce. ::)
I do like he way the Charge looks over the Wave though. Worth it if you want it kind of thing.
But, with my rant over, that saw play shouldn't cause any issue at all. Just one of those fiddly things to get used to. :cheers:

Welcome to MT.o!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:13:12 PM
Welcome Josh! :waving:

Offline joshualore

• New User
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:36:48 AM
Surprisingly, when you look at the Charge and Wave, it is hard to imagine the Charge costing so much more. The Charge is heavier and not as rugged as the Wave(from my experience with both). I have a TTI and AL, of which the newer AL has a little vertical play in the saw. The TTi doesn't. But, my TTi is an older one.
Both have the file scraping issue (files rubs on the inside of thehandle scale).
The premium steel blade, gut hook and handle scales must cost a fortune to produce. ::)
I do like he way the Charge looks over the Wave though. Worth it if you want it kind of thing.
But, with my rant over, that saw play shouldn't cause any issue at all. Just one of those fiddly things to get used to. :cheers:

Welcome to MT.o!

It's funny, the Plus TTi feels more rugged to me than my experience with the Wave. I'm sure a lot of that just has to do with the grizzly titanium handles, but I just never really liked the smooth finish on most multi-tools. And it really is stout as an ox. Everything locks in strong, all of the tools are perfectly aligned -- the file on mine doesn't rub at all. Not to mention, the cutting hook is really useful, and you can't go wrong with a good blade.

It's less anxiety-inducing I guess to throw down $60 more with the Leatherman warranty when I know I can just send it in if anything ever goes wrong  :)

Of course, as I am with anything I buy, the second I get it I'm always like...man, maybe I should have gotten the other one...So it is, world without end. I'm loving it though, and I'll get over the saw issue.

Offline stugumby

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:41:48 AM
Even the swiss tools have up and down play due to their individual springs. i also have a skeletool cx that has up and down play, tightened the pivot, still same annoying micro wiggle. blade fully functions, positively locks with loud click, but a human hairs width of up and down wobblage. Dosnt rattle just exists. Really not worth the warranty return for me for that small amount of movement.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:18 AM
Quote from: joshualore

It's funny, the Plus TTi feels more rugged to me than my experience with the Wave. I'm sure a lot of that just has to do with the grizzly titanium handles, but I just never really liked the smooth finish on most multi-tools. And it really is stout as an ox. Everything locks in strong, all of the tools are perfectly aligned -- the file on mine doesn't rub at all. Not to mention, the cutting hook is really useful, and you can't go wrong with a good blade.

It's less anxiety-inducing I guess to throw down $60 more with the Leatherman warranty when I know I can just send it in if anything ever goes wrong  :)

Of course, as I am with anything I buy, the second I get it I'm always like...man, maybe I should have gotten the other one...So it is, world without end. I'm loving it though, and I'll get over the saw issue.
Fair enough! I do like the Titanium scales as well. The better looks made buying one for myself a justifiable purchase.
The LM warranty is top-notch for sure. I sent in a very worn wave with one broken tool that I bought. They replaced the loose plier head, scissors, bits in the holders, both blades, the file, and saw. I think the can opener and frame were the only orginal parts.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline joshualore

• New User
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 01:56:56 AM
Quote from: joshualore

Fair enough! I do like the Titanium scales as well. The better looks made buying one for myself a justifiable purchase.
The LM warranty is top-notch for sure. I sent in a very worn wave with one broken tool that I bought. They replaced the loose plier head, scissors, bits in the holders, both blades, the file, and saw. I think the can opener and frame were the only orginal parts.

Of course, I'm always interested to hear more. What about the Wave feels more sturdy to you? Just overall construction and fit, or something more subtle about it?

I just remembered one other small thing I noticed about my Charge+ TTi -- there is the SLIGHTEST movement of the scale plate or (face plate or whatever you call the outer part of the handles with the name on it) if you push on them up near the top next to the screws, like there's a hair smidge of room where it slides under the screws. Have you noticed that with your Charge?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 03:07:50 AM
My Charge AL(not the TTi) has a little scale movement as well. I didn't notice until you said something. :ahhh
The Wave has solid folded steel handles. That is why I feel it seems sturdier. It doesn't use scales like the Charge.
Not saying the Charge isn't tough. Many people have beat the stew out of their Charges and never had an issue.  :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:54 AM
My Old Charge TTi also has the vertical play on the wood saw in locked position and none on the other tools... upon closer inspection, the liner lock looks a bit bent... was able to fix it a bit and the vertical play reduced... will look at giving it a second try of fixing some day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 08:51:26 AM
My TTi has play in the file and the plain edge blade.  The lock face on both tools is a little too short so the liner lock bar travels too far over.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 11:54:52 AM
Welcome to :MTO: joshua :tu: I don't have a  Tti yet but I have an older AL and an SLV and don't think there are any problems with vertical play but if it isn't to significanr it shouldn't afffect use :tu: Enjoy the Charge :like: :like:

Offline joshualore

• New User
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 04:15:44 PM
Thanks all for the welcomes and the responses! It does seem that the locking plate is just a little too short on my saw blade, so there are a couple millimeters of play. I would be more frustrated if it were the main blade or serrated blade, but the saw doesn't really concern me.

Quite happy with the tool so far in general!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 07:38:21 PM
Awesome. :like:
The most we can ask for, in the MT world, is that we're happy with our purchases. :cheers:

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 10:08:55 PM
I’ve had and returned a TTi Plus and Charge for blade play. Honestly, I can’t give Leatherman a pass for these types of QC issues. If the issues are brought to their attention enough through returns then perhaps they will fix them.

Two additional notes. Leatherman replaced both items with perfect ones and the QC seems to have slipped a little in the last 3 or 4 years.

If you’re happy with them it doesn’t matter. They are great tools, enjoy them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD