Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bigarse Chinese knife with wooden scales and pliers. It sucks royally.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
I bought this:

It's marketed as "4" Multi Tool Emergency Folding Knife pliers wire cutter can bottle opener", and... yeah, it has all that. I guess.

The amazon link is here:
https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Folding-pliers-cutter-bottle/dp/B00HYKI6E6/

But I bought mine off of eBay for $13. I figured I've had such good luck with the OUTU and Newpow that I'd push my luck. I advise against the luck-pushing.

So, when I received it the whole tool was ridiculously loose. Every tool was floppy. I pulled off the wooden scales, which are just attached with contact cement, and I peened all of the rivets. One of the scales was twisted, so I soaked it in water, clamped it straight, and let it dry. I did that a couple of times until it was straight, and then glued the scales back on. So right off the bat, this tool is a complete fail.

Now, how is the fixed version? Sadly.... still a fail.  The pliers work as pliers, but they twist very easily. Somehow they're thicker than the Newpow pliers, and yet twist more. They have a lineman's style wire cutter, which doesn't cut any stranded copper wire at all. Doesn't matter what gauge, it doesn't cut it.  There's another shear-style cutter down lower near the pivot, which also doesn't cut anything at all. On the handle are two nicely sharpened wire strippers. A big round one for coax outer sheath, and a smaller V-notch for other wire.  These actually work reasonably well, but I have to watch that my finger doesn't get in the big semicircle when using the pliers, as it's sharp enough to cut fingertips easily.

The main blade is actually sharp, which is a nice change. The morons who designed the knife put the lanyard attachment on the liner right next to where the blade opens, so any lanyard or keyring interferes with the blade. the can opener is unsharpened, but does the job. The caplifter/screwdriver has a half stop and works I guess. The phillips driver has a chunk taken out of the tip. It needs to be hit with a file to even out the tip. Poor quality control. The awl is ridiculously big and useless.

So... yeah. The whole knife feels poorly made. I understand now why they don't peen it tighter. When properly peened, it feels like the tools are grinding rocks when I open them. The pliers interfere with the can opener when closing, and the plier handle rubs against the side of the pliers to keep the handle closed. (by design). It's just a really terribly poor knife. Some of the backsprings are thicker than the tools, and some of the tools are thicker than the backsprings. This means when properly peened some tools (that are thicker than backsprings) will be jammed up, while others will still be loose. (and there's the risk the liners go out of parallel when peening if the backsprings are thicker than the tool pivots)

Overall this tool is terrible. Just pass on it.

Charles.
IMG_4210.jpg
* IMG_4210.jpg (Filesize: 197.02 KB)
IMG_4211.jpg
* IMG_4211.jpg (Filesize: 165.15 KB)
IMG_4212.jpg
* IMG_4212.jpg (Filesize: 252.75 KB)
IMG_4213.jpg
* IMG_4213.jpg (Filesize: 194.87 KB)

• No Life Club
And here's a pic of the wire strippers.

Charles.
IMG_4214.jpg
* IMG_4214.jpg (Filesize: 214.52 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
That is pretty cool. Especially the wire strippers. Too bad it fails in quality. Reminded me of a Stanley I had, but the Stanley was of decent quality.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
you should definitely stop wasting time and money into those cheapos and get an original AITOR  :salute:  with pliers

http://www.expansion.com/fueradeserie/moda-y-caprichos/album/2018/06/11/5b1a677f268e3e7a068b45de_4.html

the stainless steel marine version is nigh indestructible!!  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
A big rear  is a good starting point ....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Hm.. do the scales fit a sak? That Pakkawood looks real cool.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Good idea, really bad execution. I think the reason a lot of these Chinese tools have pliers that twist easy is because the steel is soft.  Yesterday, I tried to tighten a section of cheap, soft fencing wire with a Kobalt branded tool, and the pliers got twisted out of shape quite easily. However, I think the steel is also so soft, they probably won't break as quick.

• No Life Club
I’d love an Aitor knife, but they don’t sell any with  pliers anymore. I’d want a new one :) .

Charles.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
I’d love an Aitor knife, but they don’t sell any with  pliers anymore. I’d want a new one :) .

Charles.

I'd also like one and even know some people who have them but the prices they ask... :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%