Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Awl Dangers?!............

kaput · 24 · 1444

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
SAK Awl Dangers?!............
on: July 10, 2018, 09:29:31 PM
I have cut or poked myself just about every time I've used the awl on my Explorer SAK. What a strange design. It's a tough tool to use safely on a non locking tool anyways. But to have it on the outside where it opens up like a T, or a corkscrew is not effective for me. If I was only putting holes in a leather belt it may suffice, but for heavier use or scraping or prying it is just dangerous...  :twak:

And why does the awl flex past the 90* angle another 10-15 degrees? What's the reason for that? Also super dangerous  :rant:

Anyways, I love the Explorer  :climber:
IMG_7205.PNG
* IMG_7205.PNG (Filesize: 124.91 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Re: SAK Awl Dangers?!............
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:04:30 PM
Awl tools are potentially dangerous :P

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:03:33 PM
And why does the awl flex past the 90* angle another 10-15 degrees? What's the reason for that? Also super dangerous  :rant:
Good point, I don't think I noticed it about the awl, but have always wondered why the multipurpose hook does that.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:18:24 PM
Careful kid, you'll poke your eye out. :twak:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:57:42 AM
Good point, I don't think I noticed it about the awl, but have always wondered why the multipurpose hook does that.

I feel like the hook does that deliberately. When fully extended past 90 degrees, the hook can function almost as if it was sticking straight out like and end tool, and allow you to hook onto stuff with a somewhat extended reach.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 01:00:32 AM
I've never had any safety issues with the back-tool Vic awl. But, then again, I don't scrape and pry with mine. I just use it as an awl.  :P
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:23:56 AM
Awl tools are potentially dangerous :P
True statement. But this a little more so, with no half stop it is even more so.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:26:06 AM
The hook I think I may have an understanding for although I've never put it to use. I assume the hook is for holding or pulling lines or holding bags or tugging on something flexible, so maybe a little way or give in both direction is warranted. Makes sense in my mind, I'll try it out.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 06:31:22 AM
I've never had any safety issues with the back-tool Vic awl. But, then again, I don't scrape and pry with mine. I just use it as an awl.  :P
Safety first  ;) :D

To me an awl, specifically on a multitool like a Leatherman can be very very multipurpose and useful. I've done many many things with it I could write a giant list.

The only thing I havent done with the awl is use it to sew or thread, that's what you use it for I take it? Even that seems like it have risk forcing it through tough leather when there isn't a full or half stop you could put pressure in that direction by?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 06:37:36 AM

To me an awl, specifically on a multitool like a Leatherman can be very very multipurpose and useful. I've done many many things with it I could write a giant list.

The only thing I havent done with the awl is use it to sew or thread, that's what you use it for I take it? Even that seems like it have risk forcing it through tough leather when there isn't a full or half stop you could put pressure in that direction by?

Could you list some interesting examples of how you used the awl? The humble awl is simultaneously one of my favorite and least used tools, so I awlways looking for inspiration! 😎

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 07:15:54 AM

Some leather sewing\hole drilling, but primarily I use it for starting holes for screws in wood, as a fingernail cleaner and as a light duty pick. I use it with my thumb on the edge, against the curve side, as to keep stable. And place my index on the other side. I guess I should have mentioned how I use it. It has never caused an issue like that for me. I also use the backside Phillips that way, if the SAK I'm using has that. It is more about knowing the limits of a tiny, poorly positioned, and non-locking awl. I wouldn't pry and scrape with it though. The bottle opener driver and large blade work well for those. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:36:40 AM

Could you list some interesting examples of how you used the awl? The humble awl is simultaneously one of my favorite and least used tools, so I awlways looking for inspiration! 😎
Gotcha. This time I was trying to get dried playdough out from between the tread of my sons shoe. Knife wouldn't have worked. Flat head too dull on end. But I use an awl for things I need something sharp, pointy, thin, pinpoint. Poking, scraping, pilot holing, cutting tape, pressing reset buttons, flint striker, not sure what else to list. I probably come close to using the awl on my Leatherman just about daily.

Anything I need a sharp angle or pointy but more stout thickness than a knife and not worrying at all about the edge.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 08:53:03 AM
Kaput, sounds like you need a Pioneer with the inline awl. :pok:  Much easier and safer to use than the one one the back.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 09:04:36 AM
Kaput, sounds like you need a Pioneer with the inline awl. :pok:  Much easier and safer to use than the one one the back.
+1
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 09:30:58 AM
+1
+2 I’m a convert to the inline awl.   :drool:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 11:37:16 AM
and... +3. One of the reasons why I built Cobalt Constructor on the basis of an Alox model was because it has an inline awl :D (apart from the gorgeous looks, of course ;)).
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:04 PM
+1
+2 I’m a convert to the inline awl.   :drool:
But, I NEED the inline philips, and a big bonus was the mag glass. My favorite alox is the electrician though. And use the crap out of that awl awl the time!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:20 PM
You need a combo: Electrician + Yeoman. Sorted.  :D

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 08:52:14 PM
and... +3. One of the reasons why I built Cobalt Constructor on the basis of an Alox model was because it has an inline awl :D (apart from the gorgeous looks, of course ;)).

I missed that thread back then, but wow, that's one excellent custom SAK!  :salute:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 08:53:46 PM
This very subject has been one of the points of dislike between me and SAK's. I have developed a dislike for the cellidor models in part because of the awkwardness of the back mounted tools like the awl and Phillips driver that can buckle the frame if twisted too hard.

On the other hand, the awl on the Wenger SI/pioneer/farmer is a truer usable tool for not just the awl, but for scraping, cutting zip ties, and scoring in wood projects. The SI/pioneer is one of my very favorite SAK's just for the increase in usability of the awl.

It's got to the point that if Ihave to have a cellidor SAK, I'll take a recruit just for the smooth black and just make do without the other stuff.

Color me a back mounted awl hater! :rant:

AND BRING BACK THE HOLLOW RIVET !!!!!

Okay, I'm done now. :whistle:
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 08:59:24 PM

For now, you say?

If I poke you, will you keep ranting?  :pok:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 09:10:51 PM

For now, you say?

If I poke you, will you keep ranting?  :pok:

It's posable. I'm easy to get going. Comes with being a grouchy curmudgeon.  :D

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 01:06:04 AM

They still have hollow rivets in stock too. They only install them on knives that had hollow rivets and that they had to repair though...

If one day we can get them to make a custom Alox knife, we may be able to get a hollow bottom rivet :D

One can always dream :D

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 02:21:38 AM

If one day we can get them to make a custom Alox knife, we may be able to get a hollow bottom rivet :D

The stuff dreams are made of!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%