Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Samsonia Vice Jaws

Kev D · 12 · 2565

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Samsonia Vice Jaws
on: July 11, 2018, 12:29:04 PM
Obviously not multitool related but thought I'd ask if anyone knows where I can get vice jaws for a Samsonia Perfect Vice, No.38A from  :think:

I've tried everywhere I and google can find and also asked on engineering tool forums as well, and so far drawn a blank.

I've a feeling I may have to buy another type and adapt them to fit.

At least I know exactly what size I will need from this very old catalog.... http://vintagemechanic.co.uk/file?dbb557e1-f127-40c2-a571-04743ef6993c/zqvfdjvkak_parkinson_catalogue.pdf
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:36:45 PM by Kev D »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Re: Samsonia Vice Jaws
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:00:28 PM
Looks like they've been out of business for over 30 years: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00466672 so getting your hands on spares is bound to be tricky.  Irwin sell replacement jaws for their vices: http://www.irwin.co.uk/uploads/uk/documents/16_spare-parts.pdf maybe see if you can find a dealer with some stock you can compare with your existing vice.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:40:24 PM
I've been looking at various makes of vice jaw but all modern ones tend to have drilled clearance holes to be screwed through from the face to attach them. The ones on mine are tapped and bolted from the back.

I'm think I'll have to use some of those and use countersunk bolts and bolt through them.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 03:03:19 PM
Ah, I didn't spot that. :facepalm:

It looks as though the fixing centres on the Parkinson could be further apart than the ones on the Irwin/Record vice.  You might be able to drill and tap the replacement jaws to fit the vice.

Chances are the two sets of holes will overlap and you wont be able to make anything fit with out much wailing and gnashing of teeth... :ahhh

england Offline Kev D

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 03:13:00 PM
I think the first job is to remove the damaged jaw to dress it up and while I have it out take some measurements of size and hole centers. 

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 01:48:11 AM
I think the first job is to remove the damaged jaw to dress it up and while I have it out take some measurements of size and hole centers. 

Sounds like you are on the right track.  Have you considered removing the old ones and taking them to a local a machine shop.  Around here many shops will have scrap material they use for smaller items and are happy to make a little more than just scrap metal value.  Often a good machine shop will make parts like that a better quality than any replacement you could order.  It might cost a little more but would be worth it.  Just an idea...
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

Offline Unit97

• New User
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 06:22:04 PM
If I'm not far too late, I make and heat treat jaw plates in all forms, threaded and/or countersunk.

Poncho edit for advertising  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:10:55 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 09:14:18 PM
Welcome to :MTO: Unit97 :cheers:

I had to edit out a bit of advertising in your post but you are more than welcome to stay and if you have a service you wish to advertise you can make arrangements with our site owner Grant Lamontagne  :cheers: Just PM him if you want to advertise :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 03:57:23 PM
Thanks Tony, I am still on the look out for some new jaws, mine are battered.  I hadn't looked around in ages.

I was a bit jealous seeing how good one ones on your vice are that you picked up.  Yours looks like it has the original bolts to, 2 of mine have been replaced with cap heads allen bolts.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 12:46:02 PM

I can't believe mine are in such good shape it's had a very easy life  :tu:
Good luck with your search Mate   :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

england Offline Kev D

Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 01:15:09 PM

Donations