Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Outu knife multitool

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Outu knife multitool
on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:00 PM
I've had a 1st generation Outu for a while now, and recently I snagged a 2nd generation with the LED light. I liked my first knife so much that I got a second one. I found that the only reason I wasn't carrying it more is because when I carry my SAK, it's in a belt pouch with a small flashlight, and I use that flashlight a LOT.

When I have to have two of a tool, that lets me know I'm on the right track with something I really like :)

So, the Outu is available only on eBay now, for $13 or so. You can technically buy it on Amazon, but it's over $30 at the moment with no Prime sellers. The supply appears to be drying up on eBay for some reason. I'm guessing they're no longer in production and so getting one may be difficult in the future.

Anyhow, I've been using and abusing both of these knives, and they're still both sharp enough to cut receipt paper. I've been chopping vegetables, opening packages and letters, cutting open bags of dirt for the garden, and all sorts of tasks with the blade. The screwdrivers see frequent duty as well. The phillips is a wonderfully formed driver and that liner lock is amazing. The flat head bottle opener has done prybar duty and survived, and the one-hand opening of the  bottle opener is just awesome. I scoff at bottle openers that require more than one hand. I mean, that other hand is already holding a beer for crissake! :)

I find the pliers useful in situations where I'd find Victorinox pliers useful... and then some. They're far beefier than Victorinox pliers, but are not, obviously, as big and beefy as a regular multitool pliers. They have really good wire cutters. No problems cutting even 12ga stranded wire, and zip ties are also easily cut. This isn't always easy for bypass type cutters. The knife has a pocket clip, and I find it quite comfortable to pocket carry. Some may think it a bit too big, but I think it's just about perfect for me.

Sure, sometimes I miss wood saws and nail tools and a pen and other things my SAK has, but this knife is really neat to carry, robust, and the blade just stays sharp as hell with no effort on my part. I can't say that about my Newpow knife, which is in the same price range. That blade requires constant sharpening, where the Outu blades just stay sharp.

The only problem I've had is with the LED on the 2nd generation. After a short time it started flickering badly. The LED itself went bad. I removed the blade pivot screw (locktited so be careful and use precision bits), and slid the scale to the side and pulled the LED out. Tested it with alligator clips, and it's definitely the problem. Looking into the problem, I see that the knife is equipped with two CR1220 batteries, which are 3V each, and are in series with each other. That means with fresh batteries the LED is seeing 6 volts, which is well beyond the forward voltage even a good high intensity LED is rated for (~3.6V maximum)

The LED replacement was easy. I just popped a new one in there, bent the leads around the plastic holder, and reassembled. The replacement I used is from a package of high-intensity white LEDs I bought off of eBay. I don't know if this will last any longer than the original LED will. I've done some research and it doesn't look possible to purchase a 1.5v battery with the same 12.5mm x 2.0mm dimensions. So if this bulb also fails in short order, I'll consider adding a small resistor or perhaps removing one battery and replacing it with a spring of some sort.

Charles.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Re: Outu knife multitool
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 04:17:00 PM
Wouldn't usually necro a thread quite this deceased, but I am too curious-

Chopper, is this the tool you're reviewing here?

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 05:32:03 PM
Yep!

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 05:38:11 PM
So, after a lot of long-term use of this tool, the plier pivot did finally go loose on me. But, I was beating on it and using it way beyond the intended capacity. The 1G blade seems to be better, the 2nd generation blade needs to be sharpened more often. Both are easy to sharpen and stay usably sharp for a good long time. The LED never did die a second time. Overall a good tool. The pliers are excellent, the phillips driver is excellent, the OHO bottle opener is a great party trick and I use it constantly. The blade is a C+.  Though I don't carry it that often, I reach for this tool whenever I'm replacing outlets or switches. The pliers are perfect for bending Romex into hooks for screw terminals, the LED light is great for shining in the boxes, and the two screwdrivers fit all the screw heads perfectly.

Charles.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:16:15 PM
So, after a lot of long-term use of this tool, the plier pivot did finally go loose on me. But, I was beating on it and using it way beyond the intended capacity. The 1G blade seems to be better, the 2nd generation blade needs to be sharpened more often. Both are easy to sharpen and stay usably sharp for a good long time. The LED never did die a second time. Overall a good tool. The pliers are excellent, the phillips driver is excellent, the OHO bottle opener is a great party trick and I use it constantly. The blade is a C+.  Though I don't carry it that often, I reach for this tool whenever I'm replacing outlets or switches. The pliers are perfect for bending Romex into hooks for screw terminals, the LED light is great for shining in the boxes, and the two screwdrivers fit all the screw heads perfectly.

Charles.

The best price I've found so far is $28. Do you feel it's worth that from your experience with it?

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 06:34:38 PM
Yeah, that's an acceptable price. It's really a very good tool. Build quality on the Buck x-tract might be a bit better, but the Buck is no longer available.

Quick comparo:

Buck X-Tract: EXTREMELY similar pliers, better blade, quality phillips driver but with less than half the reach of the Outu. No pocket clip makes it a deal breaker. The scales also get tacky with age.

CRKT Bivy: Superior blade. Really amazing blade. Pliers are large but not *that* much more effective than the Outu/X-Tract pliers. Build quality is a lot lower. 2.5D phillips is poorly formed and useless. Marlinspike useless for my EDC usage. (A good 3D phillips works just as well as a marlinspike in a pinch, and I use a phillips every day, the marlinspike not once so far)

Outu: Good pliers with a nice firm switchblade action. Pliers are one hand opening and closing (Buck pliers are OHO but require two hands to retract. CRKT is OHO, but you have to use your hip or another surface to close them). Blade is liner locked like the other two. It's thicker and not as good, but still VERY acceptable. Phillips driver is the best of all three. Very well formed, very robust, long reach, and liner locked. Not OHO like on the Buck, but the reach makes up for it. Bottle opener/flat driver is OHO and a neat party trick. Also liner locked. LED scale is more useful than I thought it'd be. Scales wear well and don't get gummy - they're G10. (First gen had aluminum scales and no LED).  Pocket clip makes for a great EDC.

Charles.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 06:55:02 PM
Thanks, Chopper. Great info as always  :tu:

I actually have a Buck X-tract Fin, and I ended up having to remove the rubberized coating from the scales because it was really disgusting.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 08:07:04 PM
Yeah, I have the X-tract with the pliers and scissors, and I just cleaned it really well and it's okay for now, but I expect it to get tacky and gross again with any use.

Unfrotunately because it doesn't have a pocket clip, it never sees any use.

Charles.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 09:37:50 AM
It seems a bit thick so I did not get it, but it does look very decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hwi6nzl1-w

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD