Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help of the Sages

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Help of the Sages
Reply #90 on: July 26, 2018, 12:27:08 AM
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #91 on: July 26, 2018, 12:27:49 AM
New page babana man sage

:nanadance:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline The_Raven

Reply #92 on: July 26, 2018, 01:23:40 AM
 :mail:

What have we here?!

The guys are awl excited

Show content

LM Rebar! (Let's face it, you're not surprised. . . ) :multi:

The gang's awl here.

Offline The_Raven

Reply #93 on: July 26, 2018, 01:29:57 AM
 :mail:

What is this?!

Show content

AWWW YEAH!!  :climber:

Strike a pose!

Photo Op.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:33:08 AM by The_Raven »

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: July 26, 2018, 01:34:24 AM
 :like: :like:
Good picks and picks (pictures) there.  :cheers: :cheers:
Now I just wonder what will be next in your  :mail:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #95 on: July 26, 2018, 03:25:03 AM
Nice stuff, The_Raven! Got to love the MiniChamp. Goes well with any plier-based MT!  :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline The_Raven

Reply #96 on: July 26, 2018, 07:25:46 AM
Thanks guys, I'm pretty pleased with them  :tu:

Marks my first SAK and Leatherman  :climber:  :multi:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: July 26, 2018, 07:33:25 AM
Nice picks for both LM and Vic! Oddly enough, the MiniChamp and Rebar are extremely complementary to each other.  :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: July 26, 2018, 07:51:02 AM
Nice picks for both LM and Vic! Oddly enough, the MiniChamp and Rebar are extremely complementary to each other.  :tu:
+1 - glad you found a well matching pair of tools :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 08:01:04 AM
Great choices, great combo!  :tu: I'm pretty sure you won't regret going with the Rebar and hopefully the Minichamp will serve you well too (but aren't the scissors a bit small?)!

First impressions?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:21:42 AM by Exeter »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #100 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:56 AM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 10:42:40 AM
Great choices, great combo!  :tu: I'm pretty sure you won't regret going with the Rebar and hopefully the Minichamp will serve you well too (but aren't the scissors a bit small?)!

First impressions?
58mm Vic scissors can do almost anything the 91mm ones can, IMHO.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 10:50:24 AM

First impressions?
58mm Vic scissors can do almost anything the 91mm ones can, IMHO.  :tu:

The one on my Classic always felt a bit flimsy, but I love the 91 mm ones. (For me a SAK is not a SAK if it doesn't have scissors, or at least it rarely gets pocket time.)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: July 26, 2018, 03:19:12 PM
If we consider ALL scissor tasks, then no, the 58mm cclass scissors can't compete with the 91mm class scissors.
But, for mundane everyday snip-snip of small stuff, the 58mm class scissors are pretty boss. :climber:

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #104 on: July 26, 2018, 04:00:49 PM
On the subject of drivers , just a few reccomendations , as on tool drivers , are pretty much casual use only.

a) Klein makes a folding 10 in one driver , that takes the same bits as the well known 11 in one tool

b)Stubby 1/4 hex magnetic drivers , work well with the Leatherman Bit extender , making a powerfull portable driving system . Whia , and Wera male some god drivers , made in Germany , and the Chech. Republic , not offshore Chinesium junk . Whia also makes a superb little 1/4” hex ratchet , it interoperates well with the Leatherman bit extender , and will handle , both Leatherman , and standard 1/4” bits ( shown below ) .The Venerable Klein Electrician’s scissors work pretty well for straded low voltage wire , for both stripping and cutting .

Best Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:02:25 PM by Old man Chris »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #105 on: July 26, 2018, 09:51:49 PM
I also desire outside access to tools if at all possible, I'm not a fan of having to open the tool for access.
:whistle:
Show content
:pok:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: July 26, 2018, 10:04:48 PM
I also desire outside access to tools if at all possible, I'm not a fan of having to open the tool for access.
:whistle:
Show content
:pok:

But he also stated that "I want an MT that is versatile. It has to be a pocket carry, as a belt holster no longer fits into my repertoire. I want a good set of pliers."  - sounds like the Rebar to me.  :)

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #107 on: July 27, 2018, 01:15:39 AM
Well the best outside access prize , among plier based Multi’s would go to the Spirit ! plus best implement quality , and implement density .

Best Regards ,

Chris

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: July 27, 2018, 01:38:00 AM
If we consider ALL scissor tasks, then no, the 58mm cclass scissors can't compete with the 91mm class scissors.
But, for mundane everyday snip-snip of small stuff, the 58mm class scissors are pretty boss. :climber:

With the exception of cutting zip ties, I would rather have Vic's 58mm scissors than the Spirit scissors.  The Spirit scissors are great for cutting Zip ties and do work on everthing else I just like the traditional Vic design better, even the diminutive 58mms
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #109 on: July 27, 2018, 02:09:09 AM

With the exception of cutting zip ties, I would rather have Vic's 58mm scissors than the Spirit scissors.  The Spirit scissors are great for cutting Zip ties and do work on everthing else I just like the traditional Vic design better, even the diminutive 58mms
Don't get me started on the Spirit scissors. Mediocre scissors on a LM, SOG, Gerber, etc. are acceptable(with exception of the Surge scissors - those are top-notch for the form factor). But, with Vic having led the way in little scissors for decades and decades, there is no excuse for the Spirit X scissors being so lame. :facepalm:
Now, please don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the Spirit scissors than no scissors at all.  :)
All Vic needs to do is design next year's Spirit with scissors more like the 91mm class(and maybe do something about the cutters and use barrel screws instead of rivets). /rant

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #110 on: July 27, 2018, 02:15:53 AM
 :like: :like: :like:

[/quote

Some Crazy fella over on Blade Forums , bought a bunch of TSA seizeure SAK’s , ant torture tested Classic Scissors , apparently the will cut up to 12 AWG solid copper wire , without obvious damage . Ive never tried to duplicate the feat , as I rather like my 58mm’s .

Best Regards ,

Chris

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: July 27, 2018, 02:17:06 AM

Don't get me started on the Spirit scissors. Mediocre scissors on a LM, SOG, Gerber, etc. are acceptable(with exception of the Surge scissors - those are top-notch for the form factor). But, with Vic having led the way in little scissors for decades and decades, there is no excuse for the Spirit X scissors being so lame. :facepalm:
Now, please don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the Spirit scissors than no scissors at all.  :)
All Vic needs to do is design next year's Spirit with scissors more like the 91mm class(and maybe do something about the cutters and use barrel screws instead of rivets). /rant

EXACTLY MY PIONT!!  :rant: :rant:
But you realy should try them on zip ties.  That is where they really shine.
Dr.  McCoy

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: July 27, 2018, 02:22:12 AM
I know what you mean, Douglas. They work well on stuff that can fit in the tiny opening. They work quite well for fingernails too(not as good as 91mm scissors though). :)

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: July 27, 2018, 02:25:04 AM
I can't stand using them on my fingernails.  Now the ol'school Vic scissors of any size are the way to go on the nails.
Dr.  McCoy

Offline The_Raven

Reply #114 on: July 27, 2018, 03:12:54 AM
Exeter - right now I am loving both of them. It is taking me a little to get used to the way the leatherman opens (all of my previous MT's had a much more fluid open) but the size is pretty near perfect, and everything feels quality. I did get it used, but all of the blades still have a really sharp edge (it actually looks great for being used) I haven't had a chance to take it through the paces yet, but when my schedule slows down, I plan on really testing it out.

The SAK is great! I love the snap of the tools, and it too is extremely sharp. I don't feel that the scissors are flimsy at all. Diminutive, yes, but they feel stiff (in a good way) and effective. And I have definitely tested them on the ole nails already. I'm really glad I got the minichamp II with the pen. That is such a useful feature!

Chris - I have actually been looking at weras for quite some time now.I'll probably get one for my secondary EDC. These two new tools are my current primary (on body) but I'm actively setting up a small tool kit that I'll carry in my bag as a secondary EDC. Also, the spirit does sound great, but also more than twice as much (especially since I couldn't find any used ones at a comparable deal to what I got with ) I do still want to get one eventually, though. But the rebar hit enough of my checklist at a far lower price point, so it got first attention.

So far guys, I'm loving it all!  :tu: Now I'm working on a pocket organizer for carrying them.

Offline The_Raven

Reply #115 on: July 30, 2018, 01:00:01 AM
One thing I need to do now is find a good price on that bit set that has the adapter that fits the Phillips screwdriver

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #116 on: July 30, 2018, 04:49:01 PM
One thing I need to do now is find a good price on that bit set that has the adapter that fits the Phillips screwdriver

They aren’t hard to find , IIRC , they aren’t very expensive , no clue who could give you the best price , where are you located.

I used to have several , sady , I gave them away to mostly undeserving people . If I had one it would be yours .

Chris
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:51:23 PM by Old man Chris »

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: July 30, 2018, 11:46:10 PM

I guess you should just buy a $10 Chinese multitool off Amazon that comes with that type of bit set and adapter. Use the bits, throw the tool in a drawer, garage, car trunk, whatever, or give it to someone. I wanted to say buy a Ganzo MT, but after looking around in the past few minutes I see that they've gone up in price lately.

Offline The_Raven

Reply #118 on: July 31, 2018, 09:38:05 AM
Yeah, so far I'm seeing mainly $20 or so for such a multi tool. At that price I almost might as well buy the Leatherman bit adapter. And I'm located in the Midwest, USA.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: July 31, 2018, 09:46:01 AM
Yeah, so far I'm seeing mainly $20 or so for such a multi tool. At that price I almost might as well buy the Leatherman bit adapter. And I'm located in the Midwest, USA.

You know what? I'm away from home right now, but I think I have three of those adapters - and I think thats the key part, standard bits are easy to find and you can arrange your own set -, so if you can wait till next week, I can send you one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%