Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some Tapatalk goodies I'm missing on the web version of the forum

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
So, I've been assiduously trying to avoid using Tapatalk for various reasons. However, I find the following is solved in a better way in Tapatalk than on the Web forum pages:

- Tapatalk uses the virtual pic library function (i.e. common Gallery) of modern Android smartphones. This allows me to view and select re-sized pics in the same (virtual) location of my phone as the originals. In the Web version, I have to use the phone's file structure to find the exact physical location of re-sized pics (which is away from the main pic library, then several levels down, and which is not saved for later re-use).
- Tapatalk allows one to submit 9 pics at a time. The Web version only 4.
- Tapatalk allows selection from the virtual gallery of up to 9 pics at a time. The Web version only 1. This, together with the first point, is my main gripe as you have to go through several levels of file structure separately for every single picture...
- Tapatalk creates a copyable [IMG] address for every uploaded pic, meaning it can be re-used (upload once, use it many times). I haven't found a similar function in the Web version, as (quotes from) posts uploaded with that do not contain info on any attached pics.

Wouldn't it be cool to have the above Tapatalk possibilities in the Web version too? That would definitely win me over - and I assume some others...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
I dont have computer anymore so i prefer use Tapatalk than viewing forum web version but sometimes i use web version cause tapatalk cant show all emojis and polls cant be answered throught tapatalk

Only Tools Matters

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
The main difference there is that the standard web interface is using the attachment feature which is one at a time regardless of mobile or desktop.

Tapatalk is a purpose built app, and the main reason the limit is different is that their app is storing images on their server not ours and we have the per post attachment limit set at 4 which I don't think is unreasonable, also meaning they could vanish forever if Tapatalk were to shutdown.

Obviously we have a lot of custom smilies, which as pointed out don't show up on tapatalk.

There are a lot of things that probably need addressing in the forum software, things we're hesitant to mess around with as we've been hoping for some time the new version of the software would be released and rather than bandaid fix a bunch of things to have to redo it all isn't really appealing and feels like time wasted. That being said, the delay for the new software is proving to be exceptionally longer than expected.  :facepalm: Keep in mind all work here is voluntary and with a very limited team sometimes just don't have enough free time to sort things out.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Thanks Whoey! I realise it's all volunteer work, for which many thanks. I was merely pointing out some things that keep me from abandoning Tapatalk altogether... :whistle::D
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Tapatalk pics can disappear. That makes me scared.  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
It does that to me too... but hasn't happened to me yet. It isn't as if we haven't had this problem before (Photobucket, anyone?)
I'd (almost) settle for being able to re-use pics uploaded directly to the forum, by copying a link.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
It does that to me too... but hasn't happened to me yet. It isn't as if we haven't had this problem before (Photobucket, anyone?)
I'd (almost) settle for being able to re-use pics uploaded directly to the forum, by copying a link.
?
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=17797

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Thanks Pablo, wasn't aware of that.  :salute:

See if I can re-use them by placing links to these in a post...

:cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Yup, you just need to copy the link and place between [imgREMOVE]http://[/img] tags.

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
You're faster than me (today ;)) :cheers:

But that works :tu:

(Subtle way to promote a picture, that is  >:D)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:32:30 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
So that's that taken care of.

Now for the saving of the default image location (folder) on the device, as a next step  >:D

We'll get there, eventually...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24