Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Russian Army Knife 6e6 Ratnik Multitool.... it broke within minutes.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
So yeah, ordered one of these from Amazon, US seller, Prime delivery. Cost a little more, but not that much more. Get it, clean it up, start playing with it, and then BAM. Spring broke. I hadn't even squeezed it but like 20 times. D'oh.

I'm hoping this is a manufacturing problem, because otherwise I really like the tool. It has two different cutters, soft and hard. It cuts all the soft wire and zip ties I've thrown at it, and it decimates coat hangers with ease. The tool seems massively heavy duty, but this break is showing otherwise...  now I'm debating as to whether I get a replacement or just pass on it.

Also, the jaws don't open very wide, so that's another consideration.

Charles.
IMG_4239 - Copy.jpg
* IMG_4239 - Copy.jpg (Filesize: 413.78 KB)

• No Life Club
I do like the tool, but for $92 I'm not sure. The saw doesn't work as well as a victorinox saw. The can opener does work, but it is awkward being on the end of the blade. The plain blade is sharp enough to cut paper, the phillips driver works well, both wire cutters work excellent, the awl is sufficiently stabby, and I do like the feel in my hand. The blade is super huge, and I do like that. The saw is longer than one on any similar multitool. If the spring hadn't broken, I'd have kept it. It seems like a pretty useful camp/hunt/fish tool to me.

Charles.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:55:08 PM by ChopperCharles »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
I saw them on Ebay for considerably less money. So, maybe you could try again?

I've read somewhere that their export market items are not built to the same standards as their domestic items.  :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
$75 on eBay with $15 to ship, plus a 4 week wait. Was worth $2 extra for the Prime shipping and easy returns, IMO.

Charles.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:55:46 PM by ChopperCharles »

• Zombie Apprentice
I didn't check far enough to see the 4 week shipping and cost. :ahhh

That tool just doesn't strike me as being $90 worth. It looks more like something that costs $45. :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Brutal.

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Actually that tools look like its worth of 20€ or less.

Only Tools Matters

• Zombie Apprentice
Perhaps we can say, to save having to reduce the price again, that Russia should be paying people to get and use the Ratnik?
 :whistle:

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Perhaps we can say, to save having to reduce the price again, that Russia should be paying people to get and use the Ratnik?
 :whistle:
Haha, that actually might work and people would those tools out

Only Tools Matters

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
I think that this Ratnik is kaputnik.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• No Life Club
The thing is, the rest of the tool is ridiculously robust. I actually really like the thing. It has limitations, but it's got a bigarse blade, a bigarse saw, a can opener, pliers, a murderawl, and a really good phillips driver. The pliers, saw, and blade are one hand opening. It's comfortable to use, can be disassembled and put back together, and it's just neat. If the spring hadn't broken, I'd be happy enough with it to keep it.

That said, after seeing what it is and holding it in my hand, $92 seems like too much. I'd rather put an extra ~$50 on top of that and hope to find a deal on a SwissGrip.

Charles.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
well that was fast
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Your thread made me watch a couple of YT vids about this tool. Love the Russians - great looking tool and v useful. Such a shame yours bust. Is there no way to get a replacement? Excellent sheath too and I like the inclusion of the diamond sharpener.  :cheers:

Hope you sort something out with it  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• No Life Club
I can get a replacement. I just am not feeling all that confident that it will last, and questioning whether it's worth replacing. I don't know how confident I'd feel about spending $92 on another copy when the first broke so easily. It's not like I can send it into VЇҪҐФЯЇЍФҲ for a warranty repair if it breaks 3 months from now.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD