Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can Opener Comparison

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Can Opener Comparison
on: July 12, 2018, 07:28:33 PM
Ah, the can opener. The device for extracting food that has somehow become encased in metal. Loved and hated; essential and useless.
You may not encounter canned goods that often, or it may be a ring-pull can, or a pre-cut one with the key provided.
Nevertheless, there are still cans out there that require an opener, hence its inclusion, to this day, in multi-tools.

Having gone through a few cans recently, I decided to try out all my different can openers included in my multi-tools, and maybe use an arbitrary point system to arrange them in an order that might make some sense.
Lynn has gone through scissors, if you'd like to take a look.

Some can openers cannot even open cans, despite having "can" in their very name, and having supposedly gone through testing before they hit the market.
For those who can find their way around a can rim, there are some qualities I am looking for.

Features of interest
-Ease of initial punching through the can top.
-Ergonomics are important. I want the tool not to hurt me in the process.
-Performance will be a three layer point value:
 - I do not want it to get stuck in the can and require time and effort to get it out. Locking ones have an advantage, though I will not deduct points solely for the lack of a locking mechanism.
 - I want it to cut cleanly. Ratio of cutting to bending the can top will not be taken into account. I am after a clean cut, with low risk of sharp edges cutting me later.
 - It would be nice if it did not slip off the rim of the can. I want to rock it back and forth, in a consistent cut.

That makes five categories eligible for points. Contestants will get one point for passing, two points for passing with distinction, and no points for failure to meet expectations.

Features not considered for points
-Proper placement. If the can opener cannot even hook onto the can rim, it is not a can opener. I want it as far left in the handle as possible, since I am right-handed. A functional can opener will be in an adequate position to open cans, for it to be functional at all. Instead of awarding a point to all functional can openers, we'll lump this with comfort or something.
-Additional features (wire-stripper, flatheads) are not considered for this. I just want some stew, vegetables, or fruit out of a tin.
-Ease of access. It may require a handle to be unfolded, to get to the can opener. Saving three seconds is not important.
-Speed. Any decent can opener will open a can in a reasonable and comparable amount of time. I will not be on the brink of dying from hunger when I start, so the difference will not be taken into account.

Benchmark
The benchmark will be the Leatherman Core. Excellent in all required fields, it is my go-to can opener, and I have no complaints whatsoever with it. Great ergonomics, great edge angle and piercing point, easy, clean cut, no sharp edges left behind, locking, and no slipping off the rim. It scores 2 points in every feature, for a total of a perfect 10.

Contestants
In total, sixteen can openers were pitted against the Core.
Leatherman Charge AL
Leatherman Juice CS4 (old)
Leatherman Mini-Tool
Victorinox SwissChamp
Victorinox Deluxe Tinker
Victorinox Spirit
Gerber MP400
Ganzo G302-B
Roxon Storm (default and modded)
Wenger Highlander
Buck BuckTool 360
Schrade USA Tough Tool
Bear & Son Bear Jaws (locking variant)
Craftright multi-tool
SOG Pocket Power Plier
Coast LED Pocket Pliers

Some tools are representing others in their series, which share the same can opener, or simply other models altogether, though with the identical can opener. Ergonomics vary between different multi-tools with the same can opener, but it is still a very similar experience.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:02:07 AM by magentus »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Can Opener Comparison
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:38:01 PM
Performance Results

Charge
Almost the same experience as the Core, but it lost a point due to its external blades. Their spines protrude from the handles and dig into my palms. It helps to unfold one handle. One of the best. Very robust, it can go through mangled parts of the top and still cut through consistently and cleanly. I would be happy with this.

2 points for punching through.
1 for comfort. Oho blades took their toll.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
Total: 9

Victorinox Deluxe Tinker
A well loved design, the quarter-circle has been adopted by many other companies. Nobody does it like Victorinox though.
This is representing pretty much all can openers of this design on 91mm models, as well as 84, 93 and 111mm ranges, and delemont ranges.
The ergonomics might vary slightly, but it's the same basic shape of knife and can opener. A nice, rounded handle, and a sharp blade.

2 for comfort. Nothing protrudes to dig into my hand.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
1 for not slipping.

Roxon Storm
Out of the box, the can opener was unable to hook onto the rim. Ergonomics, sharpness, ease of use, nothing matters. You will only be able to open ring-pull cans with this. If it's a classic can, this is not the answer.

0 points.

Roxon Storm (modded)
I swapped places of the can opener and cord cutter. The can opener is now functional, though pretty average.

0 points for punching through. Not easy, as the piercing point is quite blunt.
1 for comfort. Stayed in hand, did not hurt enough to stop. Scale edge still dug into my hand.
2 for not jamming.
1 for cutting. It could have a sharper edge with more of an angle to it. Consistent cut, though it left jagged, sharp edges.
2 for not slipping. The hook is at least better designed than the rest of it, and it stayed on the can rim.
Total: 6

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:24:45 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 07:43:48 PM

SwissChamp
Identical performance to the Deluxe Tinker. I found myself slipping off the rim. Also I could not get a perfectly consistent cut, like with the Core claw. Everything else is great. The wider body of the SwissChamp was not that noticeable compared to the Tinker.

2 points for punching through. It comes extremely sharp.
2 for comfort. nothing protrudes to dig into my hand.
2 for not jamming. Lack of locking mechanism is irrelevant when the can opener is this sharp.
2 for cutting. Yes; sharp.
1 for not slipping. Your mileage may vary, but I slipped off a few times.

Gerber MP400
A quarter-circle. Not the same grind as the Victorinox one. Not as sharp, but a nice, easy, clean cut. I still found myself slipping off the can rim. Otherwise, a good choice for freeing your canned goods.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
1 for not slipping.

Ganzo G302-B
Excellent can opener, very clean and easy cut. The edges of the handles were a bit annoying, and the tool is quite heavy, but it performed extremely well.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:52:55 AM by hiraethus »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:49 PM
Wenger Highlander
Great round shape to hold on to. The can opener is pointy and sharp, and it did not slip off.
It did get stuck and folded a bit when trying to get it out. The cut was clean, but I had to be mindful of the angle I was on, to prevent it from jamming.

2 for comfort.
0 for not jamming.
1 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
Total: 7

BuckTool
Barely able to hook onto the rim, due to bad placement. It was a chore to keep it on the rim, and impossible to cut consistently. Very jagged cut, creating burrs and sharp edges.
I might as well have used a blade, Phillips, or flathead, with arguably better results. At least it locks, so no jamming.

1 point for punching through.
0 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
0 for cutting.
0 for not slipping.
Total: 3

Schrade USA Tough Tool
One handle has to be unfolded, otherwise it is impossible to use. It kept jamming and folding. Very poor cutting as well.

1 for comfort.
0 for not jamming.
0 for cutting.
1 for not slipping.
Total: 4

Core, Buck, and Schrade. Look how far to the wrong side the Buck can opener is.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:55:06 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:51:48 PM
Bear Jaws
Locking, sharp, great. No jamming, no slipping. The cut is a bit rougher that other claw can openers. Its levers for unlocking protrude a bit. Not a bad choice at all.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
1 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
Total: 8

Craftright (Generic Suspension clone)
The piercing point is extremely blunt, and as such did not punch through easily. Clean cut, did not jam, did not slip off. The handle edges are not that rounded off, but not all that bad, once you get it to pierce.

0 points for punching through.
1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Spirit
Great ergonomics, and it is very sharp, quite a similar experience as with a sak. Now with the additional benefit of a locking can opener, though I did tend to slip off. But that's just me.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
1 for not slipping.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:14:01 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:54:27 PM
Coast
0 points for punching through. The piercing point is blunt and its hook kept coming off the rim.
2 for comfort. Very well rounded off edges.
2 for not jamming.
0 for cutting. Once you go too far away from the rim, you cannot continue the same cut. And it does not punch through easily to start a new one.
0 for not slipping.
Total: 4

SOG PPP
Quite good. I did not slip off the rim, and it never jammed. The plier gears dig into my hand, and the cut was a lot more jagged that other quarter-circle can openers.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
1 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Mini-Tool
An oddball design. It does not slip or jam, and cuts easily and cleanly. The only issue is the design itself. Being integral to the handle extension, it unfolds at the wrong orientation. When pressing downwards to cut into the can, you are pressing in the same direction the can opener folds back into the handle. If you do not exert force to keep it open, it will simply fold back. The piercing point is blunt, and took some effort to punch through, while fighting it from folding. Once through, everything else was great.

0 points for punching through.
2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Juice
0 points for punching through. The piercing point is blunt and not at the best angle to punch through.
1 for comfort. The edges dig into my hands, and so does the corkscrew. This is the old design, so maybe now it's better?
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 07:59:23 PM

From best to worst:
10: Core
9: Charge
9: SwissChamp
9: Deluxe Tinker
9: MP400
9: Ganzo G302
9: Spirit
8: Bear Jaws
8: Mini-Tool
8: SOG  PPP
7: Wenger
7: Craftright
7: Juice
6: Roxon Storm (modded)
4: Schrade
4: Coast
3: BuckTool
0: Roxon Storm

Thoughts
I prefer claw can openers the most. Especially when done right, like Leatherman, Bear and Son, and Ganzo. I get a consistent cut, and I never slip off the rim. Non-locking claws tend to get stuck, like Wenger and Schrade. I am not fond of this. I do not really care about the time needed to get it free, but it just makes the whole process frustrating.
With quarter-circles, I tend to slip off the rim, but the Victorinox ones are great, and the others are mostly good enough. And none jammed, though I'd probably mangle the can with the Coast.

Some can openers performed better than I expected. The cheap Craftright was very reluctant to punch through, being extremely blunt, but cut very easily. So did the Juice and Mini-Tool. I hoped the Wenger would do better, but it is an old example, which was purchased used. Maybe if it was new, the backsprings would be stronger and help it jam less.
I was surprised with how poor a cutter the Schrade was, and how terrible in general the BuckTool was. As for the Storm, I was extremely disappointed that it could not even hook on the rim. After I modded it, even with it being average, I am very pleased that at least it can now open a can at all.

I will use these different can openers instead of the Core, and perhaps revisit a score or two. My technique with quarter-circles could improve. A Wenger sak in better shape may do better than the beat up one I used. A Victorinox delemont sak might be better in the hand than the SwissChamp or Tinker. I did not use one can per can opener, so going full circle may change a thing or two.
I am interested to know what people use, if anything. I know some people swear by Victorinox, but others, like me I guess, prefer a Leatherman claw. Do you get a consistent cut with a sak? Do you slip off the rim with quarter-circles? Does your Wenger get stuck?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:02:58 AM by magentus »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:19 PM
 :like:
Very cool!  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 08:03:11 PM
Excellent write up RP :cheers:
Nice to see all the results of the can openers

I like the SAK can opener the best  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 01:34:11 PM
Good tests, it was fun going through each tool.  :like:
I've found that SOG Can openers leve really jagged cuts and that Wengers tend to get stuck a lot (I've used 4 different ones so far from Wenger, but all got stuck too often  :ahhh)

I am also very fond of my Blast and Fuse can openers, so I agree with you on certain points  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 02:13:47 PM
Amazing work, RP! Thank you! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 08:41:26 PM
Great write-up, RP!  :tu: Thanks!  :salute:

I've used the Vic can opener the most, so it's the one I prefer. I'm jaded by experience. As a bonus, the Vic can opener can be used as a small driver/Phillips driver or light pry tool. So....I'd give the Vic can opener an extra point for 'Versatility' and call it a draw with the Core.  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 08:42:29 PM
Oh, and I seem to encounter a lot of cans that need can openers: beans, tomatoes, tuna, etc.....

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 10:45:59 AM
Thanks guys!  :tu:

I'll get more cans and test some tools and either confirm their score or change a thing or two.
Not yet tested some tools:

Surge, Rebar, SuperTool 200. Locking Leatherman claws. Probably just as good as the Core.
PST, Sideclip, Wingman. Non-locking Leatherman claws. I wonder if they'll get stuck.
Safari Hunter, Bantam. Victorinox combo tools. Will they be as good as their classic quarter-circle?
Victorinox 84, 93, 111, 130mm models. Classic quarter-circle, so probably the same performance as the Deluxe Tinker.
Wenger 120mm and 130mm. Still not locking, but they might be better than their 85mm model claw.
PowerLock, probably the same as the PPP.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 01:01:34 PM
Thanks guys!  :tu:

I'll get more cans and test some tools and either confirm their score or change a thing or two.
Not yet tested some tools:

Surge, Rebar, SuperTool 200. Locking Leatherman claws. Probably just as good as the Core.
PST, Sideclip, Wingman. Non-locking Leatherman claws. I wonder if they'll get stuck.
Safari Hunter, Bantam. Victorinox combo tools. Will they be as good as their classic quarter-circle?
Victorinox 84, 93, 111, 130mm models. Classic quarter-circle, so probably the same performance as the Deluxe Tinker.
Wenger 120mm and 130mm. Still not locking, but they might be better than their 85mm model claw.
PowerLock, probably the same as the PPP.

IME the Wingman one sucks,  :P but could be my technique  :ahhh
the Combo tool works wonders on my Wenger Entree (due to its thinness guess  :think:) but not so good on my Vics   ???
PL is the same as the PPP, ergos of the handles apart, at least in my testing.  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 01:05:46 PM
Look forward to you testing more can openers RP :popcorn: :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 05:22:21 PM
Core, Buck, and Schrade. Look how far to the wrong side the Buck can opener is.
(Image removed from quote.)

Looking at this again, I may use the BuckTool left-handed.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 01:46:36 PM

Our next contestants are all claws. Leatherman Rebar and Wingman, Victorinox Safari Hunter, Wenger 06 - Mountaineer, and last, and possibly least, the Workpro 10 in 1.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 01:58:15 PM
Leatherman Rebar
Not only a perfect 10, but even better than the Core. The Rebar, Charge, Core, and a few others have the same can opener, but the Rebar excels in ergonomics. Nothing protrudes to dig into my palm, and it is not as squared and bulky as the Core. Moving the body up and down with ease, the edge advanced beautifully through the can top. Perfection.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
Total: 10

Leatherman Wingman
This is not identical to the locking can opener found in the Core, Charge, etc. It is a different design, though still very capable. The can opener sits a bit more to the right than on the Rebar, so to compensate, they made the implement longer, distancing the hook from the handle. Unfortunately, its edge meets the can top at a more obtuse angle, and is shorter, limiting the length of each individual cut. Good edge and properly sharpened, with a good piercing point. Not as straight forward as the Core/Rebar. I had to adjust my grip and be mindful of where the cutting edge was going. There are also some edges that could be more rounded. Still, a clean cut with no sharp edges. A great choice.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Victorinox Safari Hunter
This looks more like a good bottle opener and less like a combination bottle and can opener. No typical can opener edge grind, no acute piercing point either. I was surprised with how easily it punched through the top, and it felt great in the hand. Being at the tip of a saw, the can opener sits the farthest away from the body than any other can opener. This may have helped leverage, and in conjunction with a good hook to help it stay on the can rim, the affair was quite comfortable. At no point did I feel like the saw edge would mess up my evening. The downside is that, since there is no edge like on other claw can openers, this is more of a bender than a cutter, and as such, it left a messy cut, with sharp points and edges.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
1 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:01:27 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 02:04:58 PM
Wenger Ranger 06 - Mountaineer
The same can opener as on the 85mm Wenger models. A larger handle to hold on to, but with a massive blade spine digging into my fingers. This appeared to cut better than the Highlander, though it still jammed when cutting, and folded when being freed.

1 for comfort.
0 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Workpro 10 in 1
The tiniest can opener so far. Non-locking, one third the edge of other claws, and rather blunt. Piercing was not easy, nor was anything else. This is the smallest multi-tool to hold while opening a can. Being blunt, it did not punch through easily. In order to get it to cut and to get a better grip, I had to support the can opener with my thumb. It does not cut well, constantly slipping off the rim, and having a very short and blunt cutting edge. Moving at a snail's pace, my thumb got numb for little reward. If you are unfortunate enough to have this to open a can, be patient and hope that, by the time you're done, your food is still within expiration date.

1 points for punching through.
0 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
0 for cutting.
0 for not slipping.
Total: 3

This is the same size as the Mini-Tool, but their can openers are not. I also supported the Mini-Tool's can opener with my thumb, but it is a wide handle, and thus very comfortable, while also providing a good grip and leverage.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:14:51 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 10:16:01 AM

Today's contestants are quite a diverse lot.
Leatherman SuperTool 200 and PST, Victorinox Bantam, SOG PowerLock, Wenger RangerGrip 60, and Sheffield 10 in 1.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:51:29 PM by hiraethus »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 10:20:15 AM
Leatherman SuperTool 200
Not exactly the same design with the Core, but functionally identical. Nicely rounded handles with nothing to dig into my hand. It did not jam, it did not slip. Clean, easy cut with nothing to worry about.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Leatherman PST
Nice compact tool to hold on to, with a great claw to cut into the can, this is just as good as its locking brethren. Very comfortable in the hand, consistent cut with no sharp edges left behind, no slipping off the can, no jamming.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Wenger RangerGrip 60
I expected no difference between this and the other Wenger can openers, and yet, here we are. Great cut, clean and easy, with no sharp edges left behind. Curiously, it did not get stuck while cutting, because I was mindful of how deep I pushed the claw in the can. Taking a closer look, you will notice that this is differently designed than a typical Leatherman claw.
On the Leatherman claw, the edge is in a continuous line with the 'mouth', for lack of a better term. From the tip of the claw, to the tip of the hook, it is one curvy line.
On the Wenger, there is a harpoon element to it, as the edge sits below the 'mouth'. As the edge ends, there is almost a barb, acting similarly to a fish hook barb. If you push the claw too deep into the can, the barb passes the top of the can and interferes with retracting the claw. I hope this makes sense.

Being careful not to let the barb sink in the top of the can, I was able to cut consistently, without getting stuck, not even once. Eliminating the tendancy to jam into the can top, the only issue was the blade spine digging into my hand.
This effectively means that I have to test the 85mm and 120mm models again, and see how well they can do.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:51:07 PM by hiraethus »

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 10:27:36 AM
this is really extensive. thanks for the comparison. personally I feel more intuitive with SAK style can openers than with LM/Wenger style, but they all work. I wonder how you'd rank the openers on Bantam or Hunter
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 10:29:02 AM
Victorinox Bantam
A familiar issue with this kind of design, this is not a true claw, lacking the piercing point that goes through the can top like nothing. Also, the edge is half the length of other claws, limiting each cut. Still, a better cutter than other non-claw combo tools, due to it being thinner. Great in the hand, and it did not slip. It did get stuck a couple of times, but it is thin enough to be retrieved with little effort.

1 points for punching through.
2 for comfort.
1 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

SOG PowerLock
Similar to the PPP. Good enough cutter, although rougher than other quarter-circles. This is a lot bulkier and its gears are larger, causing more discomfort.

0 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
1 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Sheffield 10 in 1
Unable to hook on the can. When trying with the left hand, it just slips off the rim, without leaving the slightest dent into the can top.

0 points.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:01:45 PM by Poncho65 »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 12:04:17 PM
this is really extensive. thanks for the comparison. personally I feel more intuitive with SAK style can openers than with LM/Wenger style, but they all work. I wonder how you'd rank the openers on Bantam or Hunter

:cheers:
I prefer Leatherman ones, but to each his own. But most of them are good enough.
I tried the Bantam, it's pretty good. I do not have a Hunter. Hopefully that will change someday.

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 12:09:51 PM
Hunter and Bantam have the same can opener. Leverage might be a factor though

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 01:36:15 PM

It's the same one? I thought the Hunter had a larger one.  :think:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 01:56:16 PM
Pending:
Surge, Signal, Sideclip. They share a can opener with others. Probably same results.
Victorinox 84, 93, 111, 130mm models. Maybe one won't slip.
Wenger 85mm and 120mm. These will be tested again, due to recent findings.
BuckTool. I will try and use this with my left hand, and see if it is any better.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 02:02:06 PM
Excellent testing RM  :like: :like: :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 02:12:47 PM

It's the same one? I thought the Hunter had a larger one.  :think:

You could be right. I'll take side by side pics when I get home

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%