Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can Opener Comparison

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Can Opener Comparison
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 02:17:34 PM
Excellent write up and investigation  :cheers:

You have to wonder at some of the cheaper companies including a tool that can't even be used!  :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 05:13:20 PM
Awesome comparisons RP... :like:

Forgot if I tried to use the LM/Wenger can opener design, they cut in clockwise/backwards motion right? As opposed to the forward motion of Vic’s?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 12:05:54 PM
Great review, pics and work on this RP :like: :like: Stuff like this gets overlooked sometimes and I miss threads like this completly :facepalm: Glad I found this gem though :tu: :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:51 PM
Thanks guys!  :cheers:
It's been a lot of fun.  :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 01:18:03 PM
Excellent write up and investigation  :cheers:

You have to wonder at some of the cheaper companies including a tool that can't even be used!  :facepalm:

I guess they do not expect their tools to be used by those who buy them.  :think:
Not that you can call those cheapos collection pieces. Well, some people do, but still.

Even good brands occasionally mess the can opener up. Look at the BuckTool.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 01:23:45 PM
Awesome comparisons RP... :like:

Forgot if I tried to use the LM/Wenger can opener design, they cut in clockwise/backwards motion right? As opposed to the forward motion of Vic’s?

Yes, Leatherman and Wenger claws are designed to go backwards, aka with the can staying still, you go clockwise as you cut. Or, you spin the can counter-clockwise as you cut.
With Victorinox and other quarter-circles, you go forward, so with the can staying still, you go counter-clockwise. Or, you spin the can clockwise as you cut.

You can of course go in the opposite direction to the supposed right way for each design. Not as quick though.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:00 PM
Great review, pics and work on this RP :like: :like: Stuff like this gets overlooked sometimes and I miss threads like this completely :facepalm: Glad I found this gem though :tu: :like:

Better late than never.  :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 02:15:04 PM

A few familiar faces. Revisiting the Wenger Highlander and Buck BuckTool, and trying out two more quarter-circles from Victorinox, the Cadet and Farmer.

Note the excellent placement of the can opener on the Swiss Army Knives. And then there's the Buck.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 02:37:14 PM
BuckTool (left-handed)
Seeing how badly they placed the can opener on this, it almost looks like a left-handed can opener. Having used it right-handed, with terrible results, I thought I'd try left-handed.
A bit awkward to use the non-dominant hand, but it worked. Despite the awkwardness, slipping, jamming, and ghost cuts, it eventually worked, and much better than with my right hand.

2 points for punching through. It hooks better onto the rim, since it is more to the right of the handle than to the left.
1 for comfort. The handles are nicely rounded, but then again, so is a pencil. It does not mean I can write with my left hand.
1 for not jamming. The nail-nick kept getting caught on the remnants of the edge on the wall of the can.
1 for cutting. Not every push yielded a cut. It kept slipping and jamming, delaying an already frustrating process.
1 for not slipping.
Total: 6

The can opener is commonly placed on the left-most side of the handle, allowing it to hook onto the rim, without having the left corner of the handle getting in the way. Ideally, the only thing touching the can will be the hook, under the rim, and the piercing point on the top of the can, right next to the rim. If a can opener is placed too far to the right of the handle, then the handle will get in the way of the hook, forcing the piercing point away from the rim.

Top: Leatherman Core & Wenger Highlander. Correct placement; the handle does not get in the way.
Bottom: BuckTool with right hand (barely hooking onto the rim) & BuckTool with left hand (not as bad, but I am not left-handed).

Wenger Highlander
Another surprising revisit, the Highlander claimed its place in the 'perfect 10' club. Rather than sinking the entire claw in the can, I was watching the harpoon barb closely, so it would not go past the top and get stuck. It worked wonders. I did not get stuck at all, while cutting consistently and cleanly. Perhaps slightly slower than I would have with a Leatherman claw, but still quick and easy enough not to remove any points. All it takes is to simply not jab the entire claw in the can.

2 points for punching through.
2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
Total: 10

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 02:40:18 PM
Victorinox Farmer
Identical can opener to the one on 91mm models. And identical performance. Nice, thin and properly sharpened edge, great ergonomics. No jamming, and a beautiful cut, with a little bit of slipping. Could it be the polished finish? Is the hook too rounded? :think:

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
1 for not slipping.
Total: 9

Victorinox Cadet
The identical design, just shrunk down a little. Surprisingly, this small difference in size worked in its favor, allowing for a consistent, clean cut, with no slipping whatsoever. I managed to stay on the rim of the can for the entirety of the cut. Excellent.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:41:26 PM by ReamerPunch »

hr Offline styx

Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:20 PM
could the slipping issue be due to hand size?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 03:59:08 PM
could the slipping issue be due to hand size?

I have large hands. I did not slip with the Cadet, and it's tiny. But I slipped with all other Victorinox can openers, and the MP400, but not the PPP.  :think:

hr Offline styx

Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 07:26:42 PM
so that theory might hold water

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #43 on: July 20, 2018, 02:10:04 PM
And possibly some fruit chunks cooked in it.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #44 on: July 20, 2018, 02:10:14 PM

This time, we are looking at the Leatherman Signal, and two Victorinox 111mm liner-lock models, the Fireman, and the OHO Trekker. We will also be revisiting the Wenger 06 - Mountaineer.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #45 on: July 20, 2018, 02:15:25 PM
Leatherman Signal
The hammer prevents the handles to close with the can opener deployed. You will have to either open one handle, or both. With both handles open it was a bit better in the hand, and given that this is the standard locking claw, found on the Core, Charge, and Rebar, it performed just as well. Easy and consistent cutting, with nothing to be concerned about.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Wenger 06 - Mountaineer
Having identified the cause of Wenger claws getting stuck, I was able to get it to cut with no issues. Watch the edge, do not push the entire length of it past the top of the can, and all will be fine. The blade spine was still a little annoying, but at least it did not get stuck, and the cut was consistent and clean.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #46 on: July 20, 2018, 02:19:17 PM
Victorinox Fireman (liner-lock)
No surprises here. This is the identical can opener that the 91mm and 93mm models use. Very sharp, it cuts very well, and the only issue I seem to have is slipping off the rim now and then. I am definitely getting better with the quarter-circle design, and you cannot argue with how well it cuts.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
1 for not slipping.

Victorinox OHO Trekker (liner-lock)
The only difference between this and the Fireman is ergonomics. The blade's thumb-hole that allows for one-handed deployment creates a considerably large hump that digs into my hand. Nothing too major, but the Fireman was slightly better.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
1 for not slipping.
Total: 8
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:55:47 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #47 on: July 22, 2018, 09:18:56 AM

Next on the list, some can openers we have seen before, on bodies we have not. Victorinox RangerGrip 79 and Hercules, Leatherman Surge and Sideclip.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 09:31:08 AM
Leatherman Surge
No surprises here. The same great claw found in the Core. Locking, great angle and edge, it punched through as if the can top wasn't there. No slipping, no jamming, and great cutting, leaving no sharp points or edges. The ergonomics take a small hit for the blade spine and a few edges that could be rounder. Still, not at all worrying.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Leatherman Sideclip
The identical can opener as in the PST, this performed just as beautifully. Excellent piercing, cutting, and ergonomics, with no jamming or slipping off the rim. Having no lock made no difference, as it has more than adequate tension to remain open. The same performance as its larger siblings, only in a smaller, lighter, and more comfortable package. Outstanding.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #49 on: July 22, 2018, 09:39:28 AM
Victorinox Hercules
111mm slidelock model. When it comes to can openers, the only difference between slide-lock and liner-lock models is that on slide-locks the can opener is more inline to the handle, whereas on the liner-lock models it is more canted forward. Thus, we have a light difference in the angle of the handle when cutting, but it is the same can opener found on both. The can opener is also identical to the one in the 91mm and 93mm range.

Hercules (slide-lock) and Fireman (liner-lock)

Fireman on top.

It is interesting to note that I did not slip with this. Quite surprising, considering quarter-circles tend to slip on me. Comparing its can opener to the Cadet's, the main difference is size. Seeing how the Cadet did not slip me at all, I made smaller cuts with the Hercules can opener, and it worked. Treating it as if it were smaller, I did not slip off the can at all. It cut beautifully, and its wide frame provided a nice, comfortable grip.
I will be revisiting the quarter-circles that I slipped off the can with, to see if my technique has improved.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Victorinox RangerGrip 79
I will definitely be revisiting other quarter-circles, since I did not slip with this one either. Again, the same can opener as in 91, 93, and 111mm models. As with the Hercules one, I made smaller cuts with this than it could. It may have taken a little longer than with a  Leatherman claw but I managed to stay on the rim, so it was definitely quicker than if I were slipping off of it. Great cutter, no jamming. The blade spine does protrude from the body, so not a perfect 10, but a great choice nonetheless.

1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:59:57 PM by Poncho65 »

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 22, 2018, 06:29:04 PM
Very interesting!  :tu:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

hr Offline styx

Reply #51 on: July 22, 2018, 09:06:51 PM
is that Surge the first large LM to go under 10

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #53 on: July 23, 2018, 06:52:07 AM
is that Surge the first large LM to go under 10

The Charge got a 9, then the Signal, and the Surge, all for ergonomics.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #54 on: July 23, 2018, 07:09:26 AM
The list so far.
Asterisks will be tested again. They lost a point to slipping, which might have to do with my technique. I managed not to slip with the Hercules and 130mm quarter-circle, which is the same in 91, 93, 111 LL models, and very similar to the Spirit and MP400, so they might not slip on me now.

10 - Core
10 - Rebar
10 - PST
10 - SuperTool 200
10 - SideClip
10 - Wenger Highlander
10 - Victorinox Cadet
10 - Victorinox Hercules

9* - Spirit
9* - Fireman LL
9* - SwissChamp
9* - Deluxe Tinker
9* - Farmer
9* - MP400

9 - Charge
9 - Signal
9 - Surge
9 - Wingman
9 - Ganzo G302
9 - Safari Hunter
9 - Wenger Ranger 06 - Mountaineer
9 - Wenger RangerGrip 60
9 - Victorinox RangerGrip 79

8* - OHO Trekker

8 - Bear Jaws
8 - Mini-Tool
8 - SOG  PPP
8 - Victorinox Bantam

7 - Craftright
7 - Juice
7 - PowerLock

6 - Roxon Storm (modded)
6 - BuckTool (left-handed)
4 - Schrade TT
4 - Coast
3 - BuckTool
3 - WorkPro scissors
0 - Roxon Storm
0 - Shefield 10 in 1
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:51:52 PM by hiraethus »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 12:06:25 PM

Today we will be going full circle, as we revisit four quarter-circles, the Victorinox SwissChamp, Deluxe Tinker, and Spirit, and the Gerber MP400.

These had all lost a point to slipping. There are many variables which can lead to slipping off the rim as you cut. Not only the tool itself with a badly formed or over-polished hook, bad placement, too blunt an edge, or terrible ergonomics messing up your grip, but also a polished or too narrow can rim, paper label getting in the way of the hook, or even user error, such as improper grip, excessive eagerness to get the can open, not concentrating properly on what they're doing.
So how did these do? Let's see.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:28:32 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 12:26:41 PM
Victorinox Deluxe Tinker
Being a Victorinox, the Deluxe Tinker helps eliminate a few of the possible causes for slipping off the rim. Taking into account the Cadet's excellent performance, I started with long cuts, and indeed slipped. Then I advanced with shorter cuts, and the slipping went away. It seems that, at least some slips were caused by the flathead contacting the can lid, and it being blunt, prying the edge out out of the can when I did not expect it to. Making shorter cuts helped keep the flathead out of the way and make the process consistent, with no slipping.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Victorinox SwissChamp
Identical can opener to the D. Tinker's. Having used the Tinker before it, I knew what had to be done, and went straight with shorter cuts than I would have. No slipping occurred, just a nice, consistent cut.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 12:41:28 PM
Victorinox Spirit
Essentially the same can opener yet again, this was easy enough to deal with. My technique is far from perfect or fast, but I managed to stay on the can. It helps that this is sharp, and extremely ergonomic. Despite its width compared to the D. Tinker, this is just as nice in the hand. And now that it does not slip on me anymore, I like it even more. I still need to be a bit mindful to keep on the cut, and probably could have afforded slightly longer cuts, judging by the mostly bending I did at the end.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.

Gerber MP400
The same basic design, but not as sharp. More of a bender than a cutter, especially compared to the sharper Victorinox quarter-circle. Nothing wrong with it, though. It still punches easily through the lid, and despite the pliers tips sticking out of one end, and the buttons from the sides, this is very nice in the hand. My thumb was on the locking tab, nice and wide surface, and nothing dug into my hand or fingers. You would not think it would be this comfortable, but it is, at least in my hand. I would have preferred a sharper edge on this, but it is still excellent, and the edges it leaves behind are not jagged or pointy. And if I go slow, I do not slip off the rim.

No flathead on this, so maybe the reason for slipping with the Victorinox can openers was not the flathead after all. It might have contributed a little, but I think I can blame my technique. How close I cut to the rim, how deep I push the edge, how much of the edge I retract, how I advance the edge and hook to perform the next cut. Nevertheless, the result remains. These punch through easily, are great in the hand, do not jam into the lid at all, and do consistent, smooth cuts, and you can manage not to slip. Even if you do, you'll still open the can with no issues. I might slip every now and then, but I see no reason to deduct a point for what seems like an error solely on my side, rather than the tools being used, which are, after all, proven to be very effective and dependable.

2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:35:47 PM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 02:09:35 PM
 :popcorn:  :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #59 on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:50 AM

Retesting some quarter-circles, the Victorinox OHO Trekker (liner-lock), Fireman (liner-lock), and Farmer, and also using the Sportsman, to compare to the Cadet.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%