Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can Opener Comparison

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Can Opener Comparison
Reply #90 on: January 28, 2019, 05:01:07 PM
Well, you can free space on your Zombie Survival Kit and not include a can opener or use an MT or SAK without one. Because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhT7VNRFkx4

Nobody needs a can opener when you have pavements!  :viking:

Or alternatively like the resident female savage of the household: "I didn't need a can opener. I just borrowed one of your knives instead".  :ahhh I told her she could keep the knife as a gift - no need to return it. She then commented that an unsharp knife with chipped edges wasn't much of a gift..!  ::)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #91 on: January 28, 2019, 05:09:28 PM
That’s a different way of opening a can  :rofl: :rofl:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #93 on: September 01, 2019, 10:04:21 AM
As is this. :like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj0hU0uDy9E

Such a good video, very interesting technique!  Thanks for sharing!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: September 01, 2019, 10:32:04 AM
I've never had much luck with the quarter circle forward opening Victorinox over the rear opening LM Claw which I vastly prefer. The Vic keeps jamming up. It's also considerably slower and leaves a more jagged edge inside the can. No doubt I'm doing something wrong but I get no brainer perfect results with the LM. Can anyone point me towards the correct procedure to use the quarter circle more efficiently? Or am I just hamfisted?  :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: September 01, 2019, 12:24:25 PM
I've never had much luck with the quarter circle forward opening Victorinox over the rear opening LM Claw which I vastly prefer. The Vic keeps jamming up. It's also considerably slower and leaves a more jagged edge inside the can. No doubt I'm doing something wrong but I get no brainer perfect results with the LM. Can anyone point me towards the correct procedure to use the quarter circle more efficiently? Or am I just hamfisted?  :D

I don't know whether there's a right way to it.  I actually use it backwards and it's faster for me, meaning holding it in right hand, I rotate the can counter-clockwise.  Have you tried counter-clockwise vs clockwise?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #96 on: September 01, 2019, 03:14:12 PM

I also had some trouble with the Victorinox one at first. I kept slipping off the can, and the edge will be a little jagged until you get good with it.
Check the video I posted above. He shows the regular process starting at 1:11. It is just a matter of getting used to it, and improving your results I think.

That is why I prefer the Leatherman claw. There is no learning curve. Perfect easy results every time.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #97 on: September 26, 2019, 07:37:04 AM
 :iagree:

I also started playing with the different styles and found the LM claw to be the easiest and most consistent in cutting the tops out of soda cans(a lot of can openers just can't do it at all) and regular cans. I do like having the driver tip on the Vic though. So they kind of even out in a way. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #98 on: October 22, 2019, 10:19:36 AM
NexTool Flagship Pro/Xiaomi Huohou

0 points for punching through.
0 for comfort.
0 for not jamming.
-5 for cutting.
-5 for not slipping.
Total: -10

Punching through is difficult. The edge is blunt and the tip is rounded off. The left edge of the hook, the edge that would grab on the rim, is rounded off. On a proper can opener, the hook has a 90° edge, so that the can opener holds onto the lip, which provides the necessary leverage for the tip to pierce. On this, the hook just slips off with the slightest force applied to the edge. It takes a considerable amount of force to pierce, all the while being careful to keep the can opener in place.
This makes the whole process an ordeal. For right-handed use, it was difficult to pierce, and impossible to continue on the initial cut. Left-handed is marginally better, since the right edge of the hook has a 90° edge and holds onto the rim.

Cutting left-handed was difficult and awkward, as I am right-handed. Tracing along is painful, since the cutting edge is more of a breaking edge.

Blunt as it could be, the edge slid along the rim, and there is no piercing point to speak of. I had to constantly adjust positioning, and reached about a quarter of the rim. After many tries to continue cutting/breaking the rim, it would not cut along beyond that point.

It took so much force to cut, that I bent the tiny rod that provides retention. Now the can opener has play when deployed. Not a big issue. Why would I deploy the can opener? It cannot open cans. If I want to get a sore hand, and mangle a can, I'll just punch the can.

After five minutes of battling the can with the wrong tool and losing, I switched to the Leatherman Core. Just a few seconds, and I cut easily, painlessly, effortlessly, consistently, and effectively around the rim, never slipping off, going through mangled spots with no issues, until the can was nicely opened.

The Flagship Pro's can opener did not even survive a quarter of one can lid.  :rant: Left-handed, since right-handed I could only do a single cut.  :rofl:
What a joke of an implement. What an insult to release this tool with such a terrible can mangler. Is testing not a part of the development process?  :think:
Is it really that difficult to try and open a can before you release it? I tried one can and the retention rod bent. I had not even opened one single can!  :facepalm:

The can opener on this tool is a waste of space. Beyond unreliable to open a can. Too bad.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:13:33 PM by ReamerPunch »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: October 22, 2019, 01:26:31 PM
Great tests again RP :like: :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #101 on: October 22, 2019, 02:51:25 PM
26:56 - Flagship can opener vs Roxon Storm can opener.
Note that diezelle has the updated version, with the can opener in the proper position and sharpened properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSwvD1lU7gs
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:19:45 PM by SteveC »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #102 on: October 31, 2019, 01:28:29 AM
Roxon Storm S801 S

This is the updated version of the original Storm. The can opener is now positioned properly, in addition to being sharpened. And it shows. It punched through extremely easily. It lost a point to comfort due to the ruler's 90° edge. It never jammed or slipped off the rim, not even once. It also had to lose a point because, while tracing around the rim is consistent and easy, it leaves behind a sharp edge.
In the original the can opener was too deep in the handle to engage properly on the can's lid. It is therefore unclear whether they imagined the can opener moving forwards, like a quarter-circle, or backwards, like a claw. Seeing how the cutting edge faces forwards, one would think that it would operate like a quarter-circle. It can, but it was much easier to go backwards on the lid.
It is nice to see that Roxon listened to feedback and fixed the can opener. Despite the ruler's edge and the sharp edges you will leave behind, it opens cans just as fast as the best can openers, creates no shrapnel, does not push the lid inwards, and does not slip or jam. Not a bad choice at all, which is good, when you take into account that the tool also has a great cap lifter and corkscrew with leverage arm.

2 points for punching through.
1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
1 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
Total: 8

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: October 31, 2019, 01:30:58 PM
Funky looking can opener  :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #104 on: November 01, 2019, 02:35:57 AM
Funky and functional. :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #105 on: November 28, 2019, 09:23:36 AM
Bibury 21 in 1

A locking quarter-circle, properly positioned to hook on the rim.
Initial piercing was extremely easy. Comfort took a small hit, due to some sharp edges, but nothing we have not seen even with premium multi-tools.
The Phillips screwdriver tip acted as a stop, preventing the can opener from sinking in too deep in the lid. As the cutting edge made a cut, the screwdriver tip will meet the lid, signifying that the cutting edge has ran out and it is time to advance to the next cut. This unintentional feature lends itself to cutting consistently, every cut being equal in length.

While tracing around the lid is easy, sometimes the rim will bend and you will not be able to continue on a previous cut. It was necessary to pierce ahead and then connect the two cuts. Nothing time consuming or difficult, just an extra little step to get the can opened, if you happen to bend the rim.
The lid was not pushed in the can, and it did not create any shrapnel. Some sharp points were left behind, but otherwise a quick, easy job, with some minor discomfort, no slipping and no jamming. Not a bad choice at all, which is refreshing to see in a budget multi-tool that went with the quarter-circle.

2 points for punching through.
1 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
1 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
Total: 8
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:33:52 AM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #106 on: November 28, 2019, 11:55:42 AM
The Bibury multi-tool's can opener did even better when we take into account the promotional photos.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #107 on: November 28, 2019, 01:12:30 PM
Nice work RP :like: :tu:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: November 29, 2019, 12:50:33 AM
So now that Leatherman has a quarter-circle, all big four brands have a quarter-circle.
I do not know how I feel about this.  :think:
The standard LM claw is excellent, why did they go with the quarter-circle for the Free series?

(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting - and the cap lifter is on the Phillips.  The combo cap lifter can opener on the Wave was adequate for both, but great for neither application when I used it extensively several years ago.

Maybe the change is because people use the cap lifter more often than the can opener, so they wanted a better design on that?  There's an AMA on another thread, or Reddit, with the Leatherman engineers.  It might be worth an ask. 

I always root for the claw for opening cans, even though I have used a SAK with a quarter circle every time in the last decade for this task.  I find it easier to pull than to push, and find myself cutting around a can in sections just to be able to pull in a clockwise direction with the SAK. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: November 29, 2019, 02:52:16 AM
If only there was some way you could get your hands on this ...

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #110 on: November 29, 2019, 08:09:52 AM
Interesting - and the cap lifter is on the Phillips.  The combo cap lifter can opener on the Wave was adequate for both, but great for neither application when I used it extensively several years ago.

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:
But I will have to disagree. The Wave has a great combo opener. For cans, it is the best I have used. No learning curve. Perfect shape and execution to open a can, with no sharp edges left behind. Give it to someone who has never used a multi-tool or SAK can opener. They'll open it perfectly. Give them a SAK and watch them struggle. The locking Leatherman claw is a flawless design for can openers. You can open cans blindfolded and still get perfect results.
For bottles, it works. It is not perfect, but if you place it correctly and open the bottle in a controlled motion, you won't pierce the cap and get it off the bottle in one motion.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #111 on: November 29, 2019, 08:20:06 AM
If only there was some way you could get your hands on this ...

I love a good claw. :dd:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #112 on: December 05, 2019, 11:51:18 AM
Bibury 31 in 1/Grand Harvest GHK2
Right-handed

0 points.

Yet again, the can opener is placed too far right in the handle for it to function properly.
This would definitely work well if it swapped positions with the serrated rescue blade.
What a pity.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #113 on: December 05, 2019, 12:10:36 PM
  Reason I wanted a Swiss-type push can opener was that 1 it was easier to open, and 2 that when opening cheaper can they do not leave splinters behind like can and will happen with a normal can opener like in a common Leatherman multitool. Metal splinter hurt, can fester, and take a week or better to remove. Never once had splinter issues with a Swiss-type push can opener.

Took Leatherman many decades to make a push can opener that is on some of their Free series. Have you tested one of those yet? Will have to reverse browse to see. Though the rest of the tool I'm not sold on. Magnets? Really??

Miss the Flair I had. While it was not the best can opener when compared for speed, it did make a clean cut and nary a splinter left behind. I do miss it. It however lacked a file. Keep hoping it will show up. No idea where it went walkabout at. Came home and it was missing from the sheath.  :cry:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:27:08 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #114 on: December 05, 2019, 12:18:26 PM
Looks like a lot of companies don’t
test the tools they put on them  ???
If they did they would of known that
they can opener is in the wrong place  :facepalm:

Reply #115 on: December 05, 2019, 12:29:43 PM
So now that Leatherman has a quarter-circle, all big four brands have a quarter-circle.
I do not know how I feel about this.  :think:
The standard LM claw is excellent, why did they go with the quarter-circle for the Free series?

Not so excellent on cheaper quality cans. They leave splinters behind on the outer areas of the can where one uses their hands for gripping. Fruit cans seems to be the worst, from no-name to basic bargain brands.

Have you tried one of them old fogy type can openers that go from the side? Do not recall seeing anyone actually posting photos or a video of them being used. :dunno:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:44:04 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: December 05, 2019, 02:14:38 PM
Bibury 31 in 1/Grand Harvest GHK2
Right-handed

0 points.

Yet again, the can opener is placed too far right in the handle for it to function properly.
This would definitely work well if it swapped positions with the serrated rescue blade.
What a pity.

:facepalm: perhaps you could send a friendly email to the company with those pictures - thats a very basic design flaw they should have considered. 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #117 on: December 06, 2019, 09:32:48 AM
:facepalm: perhaps you could send a friendly email to the company with those pictures - thats a very basic design flaw they should have considered.

if I were to send an email with every flaw of that multi-tool, the text would be two pages long. :facepalm:

Reply #118 on: December 06, 2019, 10:07:14 AM
if I were to send an email with every flaw of that multi-tool, the text would be two pages long. :facepalm:

:rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #119 on: December 11, 2019, 01:06:57 PM

Maybe more than two pages. Full review:
Grand Harvest GHK2

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44