Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

a couple wave problems

ca Offline b_martin

a couple wave problems
on: July 13, 2018, 05:17:27 AM
I just did a quick forum search and couldn't find an answer to this.. I just gave my wave a cleaning and oiling and now the serrated blade handle doesn't "click" into place when the pliers are open it just slides in and out of place with little force. Also when I pull out the flathead the small bit driver comes out as well, it sounds kind of gritty in there but don't know how I would clean it out. Does anyone have any experience with these issues?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: a couple wave problems
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:30:39 AM
To be honest, and I hope someone knows about this, I am perplexed. :think:

The tool clumping is normal for the inside Wave tools, but that starting after an oiling is odd. Maybe the oil grabbed some dirt and it got in the pivot?

And the handle losing the lock is even stranger. Perhaps some up-close photos of the piler end with the tool closed? If you don't mind.

And, with that said, you're going to want to order a set of security 6-point torx bits (amazon has them cheap). The T10 is the one you'll want, and you'll need two of the T10 security torx bits (ones that have center hole). This will allow for pivot screw adjustment.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:57:44 AM
Here's a picture
IMG_20180712_215200.jpg
* IMG_20180712_215200.jpg (Filesize: 228.96 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 06:31:20 AM
 That looks as it should. I am wondering if the pivot bolt got bent at some point. Perhaps use a pair of pliers to gently turn the pivot screw 90 degrees and then open the handle, then 180 degrees and open the handle. If the pliers lock open after doing that, then the pivot bolt may be bent, or the bolt is worn on one side. The amount of use, wear, and tear would indicate if it is worn or bent. If this turns out to be the case, you may have to send the tool into LM for repair.
The oiling could have freed the bolt up enough, that opening the outer tools moved the bolt around.
If you cannot wait a month to get it back, then I have a at-home fix that involves a hammer and small punch, denting the frame where the ramp rotates in to lock open the pliers. But, that can be tricky. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:50 AM
Did u buy it used or new? If it used, check the handle area thats near the pivot when the pliers are opened. There might be a crack in the handle. It's not very prominent.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 09:19:05 AM
I hope I am making some sense..
Screenshot_20180713_151811.jpg
* Screenshot_20180713_151811.jpg (Filesize: 252.94 KB)

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:21:08 AM
Could you send bit more pics on same angle but bit more brighter.

Only tools matters

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 01:35:17 PM
I was going off the assumption, based on his initial post, that the problem wasn't there before he oiled the joints.
I hope I wasn't misinterpreting the original post. :ahhh

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 01:47:20 PM
I just did a quick forum search and couldn't find an answer to this.. I just gave my wave a cleaning and oiling and now the serrated blade handle doesn't "click" into place when the pliers are open it just slides in and out of place with little force.
Put the serrated blade back into the handle when the pliers are closed?  :think:

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 02:23:19 PM
Rotating the pivot didn't do anything and I don't see any cracks anywhere. It was a little gritty before I cleaned it, bit it clicked into place. I cleaned some crud and lint out of there. Hopefully this picture is a little better.
IMG_20180713_062207.jpg
* IMG_20180713_062207.jpg (Filesize: 195.41 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 03:43:30 PM
The gap between the plier head ramp and inside handle seems too far apart.
It is possible, before cleaning, there was a foreign object lodged inside the handle where the plier ramp rotates into place.  When you cleaned it, the object may have fallen out, but the damage of it being there, stretching the frame, is still there.

I will have to demonstrate what I am talking about with the hammer and punch on a video. Will try to do that tonight or tomorrow. That is, if you decide not to send it to LM for warranty work.

Do you have another MT to use if you have to send the Wave in for repair?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 03:46:44 PM
Rotating the pivot didn't do anything and I don't see any cracks anywhere. It was a little gritty before I cleaned it, bit it clicked into place. I cleaned some crud and lint out of there. Hopefully this picture is a little better.

Hi, I so suggest u try to check again. Perhaps use a small screwdriver to try prying. It not obvious and could be hidden under the saw or serrated blade when it's not stressed. See pic for more clarification.. Hope it helps. If nothing works, time to bring out the punch and hammer..
IMG_20180713_214153-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180713_214153-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 81.65 KB)
IMG_20180713_214132-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180713_214132-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 89.6 KB)

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 03:59:49 PM
The gap between the plier head ramp and inside handle seems too far apart.
It is possible, before cleaning, there was a foreign object lodged inside the handle where the plier ramp rotates into place.  When you cleaned it, the object may have fallen out, but the damage of it being there, stretching the frame, is still there.

I will have to demonstrate what I am talking about with the hammer and punch on a video. Will try to do that tonight or tomorrow. That is, if you decide not to send it to LM for warranty work.

Do you have another MT to use if you have to send the Wave in for repair?

I understand what you mean, I don't really want to send itoff to LM as I don't have a MT to use while it's gone and I'm getting tires of sending tools back to them after the issues I had with my old Rebar

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 04:01:51 PM

Hi, I so suggest u try to check again. Perhaps use a small screwdriver to try prying. It not obvious and could be hidden under the saw or serrated blade when it's not stressed. See pic for more clarification.. Hope it helps. If nothing works, time to bring out the punch and hammer..
I'll have a better look when I get home from work later

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 08:20:54 PM
By looking that picture theres seems to be dirt what prevents mechanism work correctly. Try clean with pressure air, spraying cleaner or with running water.

Only Tools Matters

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 10:36:16 PM
I just did a quick forum search and couldn't find an answer to this.. I just gave my wave a cleaning and oiling and now the serrated blade handle doesn't "click" into place when the pliers are open it just slides in and out of place with little force.
Put the serrated blade back into the handle when the pliers are closed?  :think:
Oops, I missed seeing the word "handle". Now I understand.  :facepalm:
That will teach me to MTO late at night.  :twak:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:43:35 PM by Syncop8r »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 10:42:55 PM
I agree with Antti :imws: , there's a lot of crud around the forked thingies and cleaning that would be my first port of call.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 10:57:37 PM
I may be misunderstanding what is being conveyed here about the dirt in the pivot, so set me straight if I misunderstood.

On the Wave, those prongs don't act as plier locks. They are just to lock the PE and SE blades closed when the pliers are engaged. The plier locking is done via the edge of the ramps, cast into the pliers, against the inside of he handle channel.
One of the handle channels looks as if it were "bowed" outwards. This would cause the lock ramp not to have pressure when the pliers are engaged.
This can happen if a foreign object, such as a piece of metal,  got lodged between the ramp and handle channel.

Edit: Once the possible foreign object was removed, there was a gap left, with the handle channel bowed out.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 11:03:59 PM
I'm just saying lets clean the area first. Perhaps the dirt is forcing the prongs to get in the way.  :think:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 11:27:24 AM
So did anything helped, if not could you take pic inside (like above) so we could see is there any abnormality. Pic inside that side what is not working properly

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 12:46:26 PM
Does serrated blade sway when its open? If it does problem may just be loose screws, it affects on handle too if screws are too loose

Only Tools Matters

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 04:15:30 PM
Does serrated blade sway when its open? If it does problem may just be loose screws, it affects on handle too if screws are too loose

Only Tools Matters
No, the outside tools on the "good" handle have the same tension as the bad handle. Also, here's another picture
IMG_20180714_081215.jpg
* IMG_20180714_081215.jpg (Filesize: 217.85 KB)

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 05:28:33 PM

Only Tools Matters
No, the outside tools on the "good" handle have the same tension as the bad handle. Also, here's another picture
It looks excelent condition, i dont see anything what can cause problem. On my Wave, blade/file handle slides on also and very end when opening it makes little bumb and its then bottom. Handle doesnt open when opening pliers.

Only Tools Matters

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 06:43:45 PM

Only Tools Matters
It looks excelent condition, i dont see anything what can cause problem. On my Wave, blade/file handle slides on also and very end when opening it makes little bumb and its then bottom. Handle doesnt open when opening pliers.

Only Tools Matters
Yeah the blade/file handle snaps into place like that, the serrated/saw handle just slides in and out, there's barely any friction. It's all cleaned out and the one handle is still loose. Both sides look identical to one another

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 07:34:00 PM
I wonder, like Gerleathingy already suggested, if the side of the handle has bow'd a bit and just needs a little bit of a tap to push it flat again... not too much though, remember Father Ted...

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:41:13 PM by Fuzzbucket »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 09:20:54 PM
I wonder, like Gerleathingy already suggested, if the side of the handle has bow'd a bit and just needs a little bit of a tap to push it flat again... not too much though, remember Father Ted...
Gerleathingy?
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 10:34:07 PM
Seems strange that this only happened after a clean though...  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 10:48:16 PM
It is strange for sure.

The only conceivable idea I had left was a little piece of metal had possibly gotten caught in there and he opened the pliers very fast and it bulged the frame channel. And the cleaning washed the piece of metal debris out.
Other than that, I have no more ideas. :think:

The solutions, for that, have been covered though. :ahhh

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 01:57:23 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone, not sure if I'll warranty it or just live with it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 02:38:04 AM
 :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%