Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

a couple wave problems

gb Offline BePrepared

Re: a couple wave problems
Reply #30 on: July 15, 2018, 09:59:01 AM
I wonder, like Gerleathingy already suggested, if the side of the handle has bow'd a bit and just needs a little bit of a tap to push it flat again... not too much though, remember Father Ted...

I agree with Fuzzbucket and Gerleathingy, and think this is the main issue.

There is a bit of a gap (in red) where the handle has bowed out.  You can see that this allows the prong (that locks the blade) shut to rise up a little.  But I don't think the issue is with the prong (I assume the serrated blade locks into closed position when the handles are open).

If this were my Wave I would take a flat end screw driver and hammer, and give the handle a good tap  :twak: (as indicated on green).  I did this to my Wave just now, as one handle is does not 'click' into open position as good as the other handle does  (but it's not too bad).   Actually, it made no difference.  ???  But maybe I need to hit it harder   :twak:  :twak:  :twak:

Waves are not impossible to take apart, so if the pliers head were removed from the handle I think it would be easier to bend/bash the handle into position.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO ANY OF THE ABOVE TO YOUR WAVE.

As for the gritty inner tools, I had a second hand (almost unused) Charge with gritty tools.  A bit of oil and a fair bit of opening/closing soon had that solved.

PS: We once had an old electric kettle in a shared common room, and one day I cleaned it out as it was full of gunk and limescale.  After that, it leaked badly, and we had to get a new one.  It was the gunk and limescale that was holding the kettle together....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:01:25 AM by BePrepared »

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 11:29:17 AM
I noticed that my waves handle was broken and thats why it doesnt click when opening it. You should also check is it in goid condition in didnt noticed crack until i looked carefully when openin handle i noticed crack in my Waves handle

Only Tools Matters

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #32 on: July 15, 2018, 03:08:19 PM
I just took my (0704) Wave apart (again) and did the  :twak:  :twak:  :twak:  on the loose handle --- it did tighten up the click/lock as pliers head is deployed.

BUT, after seeing the damage to Antti Lammi's Wave, I was a bit worried about hitting this part of the Wave.

While I was at it, I used my Squirt to squeeze together the inside edges of the Wave --- the part with the ruler marks.  If you do this at the pliers end, it stops the Wave handles being a bit floppy when shut.  (Although, I suppose if you want One Hand Opening, and want to flick the pliers open, you want to do the opposite?)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:11:00 PM by BePrepared »

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 03:40:14 PM
Theres danger when bashing waves handle, be careful when tempering with those. Best way to repair it is sending it to warranty.

Only tools matters

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 06:32:16 PM
Theres danger when bashing waves handle, be careful when tempering with those. Best way to repair it is sending it to warranty.

Only tools matters
Yeah, I don't want to mess with it and make it worse. Looks like I'll be without my LM for a few weeks  :-[

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 12:47:23 PM
So have you received your wave back yet

Only Tools Matters

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #36 on: August 04, 2018, 05:30:47 PM

Only Tools Matters
Yes, got it back just over a week ago. They sent me a refurb that looks and feels like a brand new tool.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: August 04, 2018, 06:13:51 PM
Great to hear they got you fixed up with another :tu: :like:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #38 on: August 04, 2018, 07:35:15 PM

Only Tools Matters
Yes, got it back just over a week ago. They sent me a refurb that looks and feels like a brand new tool.
Awesome you got it back

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24