Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 32193

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
CYC2: Return of the Executive
on: July 15, 2018, 04:39:37 AM
I need to announce an opportunity of epic proportion.

Yes, you've probably guessed it awlready.
A few of us are going to undertake a challenge, and you are invited to join in.   :viking:

Not so long ago, a few brave SAK knights ran the Chuck Yeager Challenge. That challenge entailed using a Victorinox Executive as a primary tool for 30-days. General Yeager purportedly used an Executive for extended backpacking trips, fishing trips, and combat flight missions. A few of us were inspired to try doing the same...at least for 30-days. And we did.
Now we are doing it all over again. Because....well, just because.   :SAKnight:

This challenge, the Chuck Yeager Challenge II (CYC2) will start on 01 August. The rules, as of now, are that you carry a Vic Executive everyday, for 30 days. A further stipulation is that every tool of the Executive must be used and/or tested during the challenge. If you don't have one of these quirky little SAKs, get one now. If you awlready have one, clean and sharpen it.

Are you up to this challenge?

Chuck Yeager was.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 05:12:53 AM
Which size Executive are you referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:26:50 AM

The 74mm dynamo!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:32:05 AM
:tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 08:59:19 AM
I’m looking at some for sale. Just not sure I want one bad enough to buy one. I can’t see ever carrying it after the challenge is over.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 09:47:51 AM
I’m looking at some for sale. Just not sure I want one bad enough to buy one. I can’t see ever carrying it after the challenge is over.

There's probably some at MTO Store, 4$ a piece or so...  :pok:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 10:09:44 AM
Haven't got a single 74mm yet...

:oops:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 10:19:14 AM
It would not be very difficult for me to ditch the MiniChamp and carry an Executive instead. I carried one for years alongside my SwissChamp, and liked it very much. But as a challenge carry, without larger SAKs, I guess it´s just not enough. Don´t count me in on this one.
DSC09001-executives-p1e33.jpg
* DSC09001-executives-p1e33.jpg (Filesize: 212.17 KB)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:56:51 AM by Ron Who »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 04:10:41 PM
Haven't got a single 74mm yet...

:oops:

wat!?  ??? :ahhh

There's probably some at MTO Store, 4$ a piece or so...  :pok:

none left,  :cry: I've been waiting for them for months now  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 04:27:23 PM
It would not be very difficult for me to ditch the MiniChamp and carry an Executive instead. I carried one for years alongside my SwissChamp, and liked it very much. But as a challenge carry, without larger SAKs, I guess it´s just not enough. Don´t count me in on this one.

The CYC2 is kind of Barry's idea. And I'll defer to his contest design principles, however, I don't think a participant will be restricted to carrying only an Executive and no other tools. So, other tools, especially where necessary for work or safety, will be permitted.

At the same time, if another tool gets used because the Executive isn't up to the job, it would be good form to post about why the Executive couldn't handle the job and the other tool was required.  E.g. "Today I used bypass loppers to remove a damaged tree branch. There was just no way I was going to use the Executive's 74mm blade to carve away that big branch."

The idea here is to use the Executive as much as possible, test it's limits, and gain some appreciation for General Yeager's choice of lightweight outdoors knife. After the first Executive challenge, I came away impressed with the 74mm and all it's quirky features.  :tu:

This is a really good challenge to take on, which is why Barry and I decided to run it again.  :tu:  And if you don't have a Minimalist Badge....this challenge is for you!  :tu:

Or.....you can wait for the 58mm Classic challenge.......coming this Fall.  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 04:34:05 PM

Pairs very nicely with a Buck 110.... :pok:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 06:21:23 PM

Pairs very nicely with a Buck 110.... :pok:

:o :o

Buck 110???

That boat anchor??? That one trick pony??? :o

Okay, this calls for the rubber chicken punishment!
 :whistle:
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 06:32:37 PM
I'm in. :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 07:42:02 PM
Just back from Boy Scout Camp....I'm in too!! :ahhh
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 07:52:36 PM
Sooooo....

Nix
VICMAN
Barry

:cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 08:03:55 PM
I wouldn't have an issue with packing another tool/knife in this Challenge if the need arises, although I just finished FoBo's Challenge and only had to resort to the Center Drive once for a home project.  I've been out of the loop (and internet access!) for the past week so I'm just getting caught up. 

The CYC2 is kind of Barry's idea. And I'll defer to his contest design principles, however, I don't think a participant will be restricted to carrying only an Executive and no other tools. So, other tools, especially where necessary for work or safety, will be permitted.

At the same time, if another tool gets used because the Executive isn't up to the job, it would be good form to post about why the Executive couldn't handle the job and the other tool was required.  E.g. "Today I used bypass loppers to remove a damaged tree branch. There was just no way I was going to use the Executive's 74mm blade to carve away that big branch."

The idea here is to use the Executive as much as possible, test it's limits, and gain some appreciation for General Yeager's choice of lightweight outdoors knife. After the first Executive challenge, I came away impressed with the 74mm and all it's quirky features.  :tu:

This is a really good challenge to take on, which is why Barry and I decided to run it again.  :tu:  And if you don't have a Minimalist Badge....this challenge is for you!  :tu:

Or.....you can wait for the 58mm Classic challenge.......coming this Fall.  :cheers:
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 08:19:48 PM
Just back from Boy Scout Camp....I'm in too!! :ahhh

Welcome back Barry! :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 08:21:10 PM
 :cheers:. Thanks Vicman!
Barry

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 08:43:47 PM
Oh man this is really tempting. I have always been curious about the executive. Now I want to order one and participate in this challenge! 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 08:53:54 PM
We'd love to have you!!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 09:53:17 PM
For sure, GD!  :tu:

And we'll see if Carl and zrxoa1 will join in too!  :cheers: :tu:

us Offline getahl

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 04:58:00 AM
I'd like to join. I missed out on the mini challenge,  even though I've been primarily carrying a mikichamp for a couple months now. Easy to switch up for the Exec.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 06:16:15 AM
 :like: :like: :tu:
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 04:06:42 PM
Oh, the challenge team is shaping up nicely now......

Nix
VICMAN
Barry
GoatDragon
getahl

Ron?
Carl?
zrxoa1?
Mechy?
Peacent?
Nascar?
Lisa?

I know a few of you still need to get an Executive; that's why we've started this thread early enough for participants to find one, but August 1st is not that far off......let me recommend a red one  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 04:16:00 PM
 :ahhh Right on!!
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 04:21:31 PM
For sure, GD!  :tu:

And we'll see if Carl and zrxoa1 will join in too!  :cheers: :tu:

I don't have an executive. I've always been curious about the exec, but I just could never bring myself to spend almost three times the price of a classic on them. I've never understood why a 74mm is priced higher than a tinker or up there with a super tinker. If I can buy a classic at Walmart or Target for 10.99, the 30 dollar plus tag on the exec didn't give me that much more use. I think. I will admit theres been a few times I wish the classic blade was just a teeny bit longer, but it's worked so far. Mostly.

Maybe some day I'll try an exec. Maybe. On the other hand, I just got back from 5 days in Key West and the classic cut fishing line, sliced little Key Limes, cut countless price tags off souvenir t-shirts and a new pair of flip flops when the old ones floated away in the Straits Of Florida. I'm not sure how that happened. ??? There may have been some alcohol involved there. :-[

But the classic could be just a tad bigger. Like that silly little millimeter longer in the old cigarette commercials. And I ain't getting any younger.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 04:26:44 PM
Carl, we're going to do a Classic challenge later in the year, but we need you and your insights for this Executive challenge. Doing the Executive challenge will also be useful for comparison's sake when we do the Classic challenge.  :salute: :tu:

Now git you one.   :pok: 
And let's have some fun.   :cheers:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 05:22:38 PM
Still thinking about it. At least I already have a couple and from past experience I know that I like them.

But the classic could be just a tad bigger.

The Ambassador would be the way to go then.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 06:34:52 PM
Carl/Ron, we'd love to have you!!
Barry

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 10:13:24 PM

my bad,my mind goes a bit crazy when fasting... :facepalm: I read that as "Carl, Ron, we'd love to hate you"  :think: :ahhh

Oh, the challenge team is shaping up nicely now......

Peacent?

I can't/wont' because:

a. I might be out of the country on the early August days  :think:
b. My Executive is broken, lacks the scissors. :whistle:  I gave away my good one this past June   :ahhh
c. I am a bit tired of the additional stress of challenges and forcing myself to carry specific tools, and I've got enough things going on in my life right now, and I have many tools to try and carry and experiment with, to be comfortable doing this. Sorry  :P

But I'll probably follow along and comment from time to time  :tu:
PS: I am a fan of Yeager since I read about his record and incredible feats as a kid  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%