Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 35619

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #1050 on: August 20, 2018, 04:26:17 PM
Chuck Yeager Challenge, Day 19 (continued):

Used last night's chicken and a few veggies from the refrigerator to make up a chicken salad for dinner:

(Image removed from quote.)

The Executive did a great job of carving the chicken off the bone. It was a little bit on the small side for veggie prep-work, but did just fine with a bit of attention and patience:

(Image removed from quote.)

Mine is the one with the extra red-pepper flakes.  :D

Food pics always look great!  :o :drool:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1051 on: August 20, 2018, 04:29:49 PM
Sigh....

- stoneshank

Oh well........ :think:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1052 on: August 20, 2018, 04:30:51 PM

:like:

Good description with photos that tell the story!

:tu:

Jim

Thanks Jim! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1053 on: August 20, 2018, 04:32:32 PM
Happy Chuck Yeager II Day 20!

I used the Executive to cut some paracord to equip this Eddie Bauer Explorer with a lanyard...

Great pics Jim! :like: :tu: :tu:

A job well done! :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1054 on: August 20, 2018, 04:52:56 PM
Just to prove it can be done, I used the nail file tip to open a bottle this weekend.

I got to enjoy a beer after a job well done...

8) 8)
Director BO 1.jpg
* Director BO 1.jpg (Filesize: 421.05 KB)
Director BO 2.jpg
* Director BO 2.jpg (Filesize: 335.81 KB)
Director BO 3.jpg
* Director BO 3.jpg (Filesize: 370.21 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1055 on: August 20, 2018, 04:54:50 PM
Today, once again, it was wealthy breakfast time with the Director.

(see, I told you I eat even the pits...)

:D :D
Director apple 1.jpg
* Director apple 1.jpg (Filesize: 283.96 KB)
Director apple 2.jpg
* Director apple 2.jpg (Filesize: 64.56 KB)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1056 on: August 20, 2018, 05:22:36 PM
Nice shots and uses, guys!

I like the way this challenge has gone so far. You guys are keeping this one fun.  :tu:

With both the CYC's I've started, I have expected to struggle with the Exec or miss a bigger knife. But with the first challenge, and so far in this challenge, the Executive has been superb and a great EDC. I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but it is still a bit of a revelation that this little tool box is really more than I need, most days.

I'm hoping to get out and do a little fly fishing soon in honor of the General. My back has been a bit aggravated by all the digging and lifting I've been doing lately, but I'm hoping I can get out before the challenge is done. Even so, this has been a fun challenge and I appreciate all that you guys have put into it so far.   

:salute:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1057 on: August 20, 2018, 06:40:57 PM
Just to prove it can be done, I used the nail file tip to open a bottle this weekend.

8) 8)

Nice pics pfrsantos! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the file! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1058 on: August 20, 2018, 06:42:09 PM
Today, once again, it was wealthy breakfast time with the Director.

(see, I told you I eat even the pits...)

Nice pics pfrsantos! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the D :cheers:irector!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1059 on: August 20, 2018, 06:44:17 PM

I like the way this challenge has gone so far. You guys are keeping this one fun.  :tu:

With both the CYC's I've started, I have expected to struggle with the Exec or miss a bigger knife. But with the first challenge, and so far in this challenge, the Executive has been superb and a great EDC. I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but it is still a bit of a revelation that this little tool box is really more than I need, most days.

I'm hoping to get out and do a little fly fishing soon in honor of the General. My back has been a bit aggravated by all the digging and lifting I've been doing lately, but I'm hoping I can get out before the challenge is done. Even so, this has been a fun challenge and I appreciate all that you guys have put into it so far.   

Thanks Nix! :cheers:

I agree that the Executive is a very capable edc knife. :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1060 on: August 20, 2018, 06:49:48 PM
So far, I haven't encountered a situation where I would need a bigger/stronger knife/tool.

:tu: :tu:

That being said, I miss having some other knife with me, if not to use, at least to handle/play with.

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1061 on: August 20, 2018, 06:50:07 PM
So far, I haven't encountered a situation where I would need a bigger/stronger knife/tool.

:tu: :tu:

That being said, I miss having some other knife with me, if not to use, at least to handle/play with.

:facepalm:

Miss Having!

:hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1062 on: August 20, 2018, 06:58:25 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #1063 on: August 20, 2018, 07:12:28 PM

8) 8)

Yup, that's the way I've been doing for almost 20 years with the little classic on my keyring. Now I just use the Executive nail file tip or the orange peeler screw driver er tip. Works just fine on beers.  :tu:

Bottle opener? We don't need no steenkin bottle opener!

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1064 on: August 20, 2018, 07:24:43 PM

8) 8)

Yup, that's the way I've been doing for almost 20 years with the little classic on my keyring. Now I just use the Executive nail file tip or the orange peeler screw driver er tip. Works just fine on beers.  :tu:

Bottle opener? We don't need no steenkin bottle opener!

Yeah! Real men do it like Capt. Bill Kelso!

:drink:

Show content

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #1065 on: August 20, 2018, 07:25:26 PM

More than pleased to take part in what for me has been an eye opening challenge. I have long teemed up a classic and Wenger SI or at least a recruit for my etc duo. Now my thinking has undergone a big change. My Old and very much Trusted SI is going in my hiking/fishing bag and the Executive is going to be my sole etc. So far I've needed a real Phillips driver twice since the challenge started, but the little Victorinox quarto 4 bit tool in my wallet has done the job perfectly. Both times the Phillips screws were tightened without little wallet tool.

Once I needed a bigger sturdier knife, but a larger SAK would not have worked either. My old Buck 102 woodsman did the job as it was in the woods and when hiking I normally have a 4 inch sheath knife on my hip. For this part of Texas it's fairly normal and a small to medium knife sheathed on the belt does not raise any eye brows.

For the future I'm just going to keep the Buck sheath knife in my truck's glove box, and all pocket knife duties will be dealt with using the executive. When out and about in the suburban area I live in, I have not missed a bigger knife at all. The executive is just enough bigger that it handles the stuff my old classic could not making a second larger pocket knife needed. No more.

Nix, I have loved this challenge and everyday it opens my eyes a little wider.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1066 on: August 20, 2018, 07:39:06 PM
For me as well, Carl.  :tu:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #1067 on: August 20, 2018, 08:10:13 PM
Some time ago, I responded to a topic asking about our top 3 favorite SAKs.  I don't remember my top 3 at the time but I do see a difference between most admired, most useful and best fit.

During these warmer/hot months, the Executive is unquestionably the best fit for size and function.  The Explorer and the Swiss Champ are among my favorite SAKs but there is no way that they would fit comfortably in the pockets of my gym shorts.

My two most-used tools are the blade and the scissors and the Executive has both. I doubt that I will ever use the Orange Peeler for its intended purpose but it is perfect for opening stubborn plastic packaging.

I don't like the nail file since it is prone to staining.  I would much rather have the Cadet's nail file for filing nails or the Leatherman Squirt's file for general purpose filing.

The Executive is a truly fine Swiss Army Knife that punches way above its weight and is a pleasure to carry as an EDC!

Jim

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1068 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:00 PM

The Executive is a truly fine Swiss Army Knife that punches way above its weight and is a pleasure to carry as an EDC!

Jim

Well said Jim! :cheers:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #1069 on: August 20, 2018, 08:24:17 PM
Carried the Ambassador for Monday Oneday. I accept the file is not as good as that on the Executive but for a one layer piece of kit it really impresses. It also allows me a little indulgence with variety but I am looking forward to the Executive tomorrow. CYC2 is another great challenge Nix and it's great to see so many of us getting on the bus to enjoy the fun.

... By the way Barry I'm presuming with your Executive you managed to avoid Jail in Monopoly ?
IMG_0788.jpg
* IMG_0788.jpg (Filesize: 184.33 KB)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:25:41 PM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1070 on: August 20, 2018, 08:24:52 PM

Jim

+1.  :tu:

Bad news, though, Jim: the Cadet's nail file has been changed to an Executive-type nail file: Cadet Nail file changed

I, too, prefer the Cadet (glad I have one and a couple back-ups) nail file, but I find the Executive's nail file works fairly well, and it may prove to be a bit more versatile overall. Not sure.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1071 on: August 20, 2018, 08:25:41 PM
Cheers, FB,  :cheers:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #1072 on: August 20, 2018, 08:41:07 PM

Jim

+1.  :tu:

Bad news, though, Jim: the Cadet's nail file has been changed to an Executive-type nail file: Cadet Nail file changed

I, too, prefer the Cadet (glad I have one and a couple back-ups) nail file, but I find the Executive's nail file works fairly well, and it may prove to be a bit more versatile overall. Not sure.

I had forgotten all about that change--I remember seeing the post you linked.  Happily, all of my Cadets have the old file.

Jim

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #1073 on: August 20, 2018, 09:15:20 PM
Since we're sharing our thoughts

First, the challenge has been great to be involved in, thanks to Nix for getting it going, and awl the participants for keeping it interesting  :tu:

Second, the Executive has proven itself over and over as an everyday pocket tool, although I share one picture a day, it's in and out of my pocket all day, it's just not practical to take a picture every time.
The 74mm I find is a much better fit in my hand over the Classic, the blades are plenty adequate for a pocket knife, the Orange peeler is a lot more useful than I thought, I seem to be a bit in the minority on the file, but I like the cut on it, I love the size of the scissors, small enough for finer work, yet big enough for larger tasks, and I use the scale tools all the time.

So after all that the Executive is a hit with me  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1074 on: August 20, 2018, 09:27:29 PM
Carried the Ambassador for Monday Oneday.

Nice pic Bill! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1075 on: August 20, 2018, 09:41:21 PM

I had forgotten all about that change--I remember seeing the post you linked.  Happily, all of my Cadets have the old file.

Jim

My 2 old Executives have files like the first picture below and my new ones have files like the 2nd picture

I like both. The new file is a little more aggressive.

Click on pictures for best picture
EXECUTIVE NAIL FILE 1.jpg
* EXECUTIVE NAIL FILE 1.jpg (Filesize: 34.06 KB)
EXECUTIVE FILE 2.jpg
* EXECUTIVE FILE 2.jpg (Filesize: 146.98 KB)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:42:33 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1076 on: August 20, 2018, 09:45:55 PM
The 74mm I find is a much better fit in my hand over the Classic, the blades are plenty adequate for a pocket knife, the Orange peeler is a lot more useful than I thought,

Agreed on all points!  :tu:

I really like the feel of the 74's, especially the Executive, as compared to the 58's and 65's.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1077 on: August 20, 2018, 09:46:32 PM
Nice comparison shot, VICMAN!  :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1078 on: August 20, 2018, 09:51:47 PM
Nice comparison shot, VICMAN!  :tu:

Thanks Nix! :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1079 on: August 20, 2018, 10:13:30 PM
 :facepalm: Jail yes... defeat, no  :facepalm: :rofl:
Carried the Ambassador for Monday Oneday. I accept the file is not as good as that on the Executive but for a one layer piece of kit it really impresses. It also allows me a little indulgence with variety but I am looking forward to the Executive tomorrow. CYC2 is another great challenge Nix and it's great to see so many of us getting on the bus to enjoy the fun.

... By the way Barry I'm presuming with your Executive you managed to avoid Jail in Monopoly ?
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD