Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 35717

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

se Offline stoneshank

Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #1620 on: September 01, 2018, 12:52:13 PM
This will continue to be my carry, I think I'll add a small keyring to it and hang a fisher bullet on it and a small flashlight perhaps, could be a bit too much haha

Btw, does anyone know of a cheap way to get more toothpicks? I use mine daily

- stoneshank
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:53:25 PM by stoneshank »

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #1621 on: September 01, 2018, 01:19:53 PM
This will continue to be my carry, I think I'll add a small keyring to it and hang a fisher bullet on it and a small flashlight perhaps, could be a bit too much haha

(Image removed from quote.)

- stoneshank
eBay has replacement accessories.  Be aware that there are different size pics.  I use mine multiple times each day.  I've swapped out all my pics in my Classic and Executive with the long ones.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1622 on: September 01, 2018, 02:37:03 PM

- stoneshank

Nice pic stoneshank! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1623 on: September 01, 2018, 02:39:59 PM
I've gotten some spare toothpicks from Amazon.

I don't think our MTO store carries them..... :cry:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1624 on: September 01, 2018, 02:48:21 PM

- stoneshank
If you do go adding the small flashlight, post a photo so we can see how much it has “grown”. Hopefully it is manageable.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #1625 on: September 01, 2018, 08:19:10 PM
I just got one because of this thread :)

What a unique Vic it is. I'm surprised they continue to make it as so many of the tools seem to be unique to this knife only. Even the small blade is different than the blade on a 58mm. I'm kinda diggin it. I really like the nail file, it seems to be a nice mix of aggressive yet fine. I have no idea yet if I'll ever use the orange peeler but I can imagine it coming in handy on occasions. The main blade seems big enough and sturdy enough for my EDC needs and to be honest the only tool I really feel naked without is a knife. I'm gonna give a shot for awhile.   

Thanks for a great thread :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1626 on: September 01, 2018, 08:25:07 PM

Congratulations  on the new Executive theonew! :cheers:

I think you will find it to be a great EDC! :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1627 on: September 01, 2018, 08:29:21 PM
Good on ya for giving the Exec a shot, theonew!

I like the extra-small blade for awl kinds of simple knife tasks. The main blade gets used for bigger tasks and food prep.

Let us know how you enjoy it......and when you'll be ready for the next CYC..... :D

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #1628 on: September 01, 2018, 09:06:23 PM
It is a bit light duty on the drivers side but paired with an IDL T5 on my keychain I doubt I'll get stranded.

Depending on my work/travel schedule, I would definitely consider entering the CYC3 challenge :cheers:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #1629 on: September 01, 2018, 09:09:20 PM

What a unique Vic it is. I'm surprised they continue to make it as so many of the tools seem to be unique to this knife only. Even the small blade is different than the blade on a 58mm. I'm kinda diggin it. I really like the nail file, it seems to be a nice mix of aggressive yet fine. I have no idea yet if I'll ever use the orange peeler but I can imagine it coming in handy on occasions. The main blade seems big enough and sturdy enough for my EDC needs and to be honest the only tool I really feel naked without is a knife. I'm gonna give a shot for awhile.   

I ignored this SAK for so long and I am sorry that I did.  It took the first CYC for me to see for myself why so many were paying attention to this SAK.  My 2 most used tools in any SAK is the blade and the scissors.  The Executive add another potentially indispensable tool (it would be if I had to keep opening plastic blister packaging) in the Orange Peeler.  While Victorinox and most of the owners see it as the Orange Peeler tool, I see it as a package opener.  I make a slit with my blade and then slice the package with the package opener (a.k.a., Orange Peeler).

Congratulations on your purchase!  I hope it brings you the utility and satisfaction as it has me and many others!

:tu:

Jim

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1630 on: September 02, 2018, 03:47:43 PM
 :cheers:. Thanks Vicman and I am too!
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1631 on: September 02, 2018, 05:27:15 PM

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1632 on: September 02, 2018, 05:51:41 PM
 :iagree:
I need to go to the storage facility and get all my SAK out. I will be in NYC next week and will be at the Victorinox store there. I am thinking a minichamp or ???

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #1633 on: September 02, 2018, 06:06:58 PM

I ignored this SAK for so long and I am sorry that I did.  It took the first CYC for me to see for myself why so many were paying attention to this SAK.  My 2 most used tools in any SAK is the blade and the scissors.  The Executive add another potentially indispensable tool (it would be if I had to keep opening plastic blister packaging) in the Orange Peeler.  While Victorinox and most of the owners see it as the Orange Peeler tool, I see it as a package opener.  I make a slit with my blade and then slice the package with the package opener (a.k.a., Orange Peeler).

Congratulations on your purchase!  I hope it brings you the utility and satisfaction as it has me and many others!

:tu:

Jim

This sums up my feelings on the executive. I've always ignored it as a 'what the heck' kind of knife. It's bigger than a 58 but smaller than a 84, so what is it good for?

I can only make an analogy with cars. The little Toyota Yaris is a very small sub compact car that Is great for a commuter car or other personal transportation. If I'm going up in car size then a Toyota Camry is a very nice mid size car that will actually seat 5 if need be and get very good fuel milage. So what would I ever need a Toyota Corolla for? Like the executive it's too big for the inner city commuter car role, but not as capable as the slightly bigger Camry.

Surprise, on drivning a Corolla I find it just enough bigger than the Yaris that it can do longer trips cross country  with a trunk full of luggage, and carry four adults in reasonable comfort if some of them are not built like Sydney Greenstreet. The capability of the Corolla over the little Yaris is so much more so than tit becomes worth it to have, thus phasing out the smaller Yaris.

To me, the executive is just enough bigger and more capable that it phases out my little Classic that has been staple on my keyring for twenty years. In fact, it's just capable enough that it has become my new EDC. That little bit of up sizing is enough that is is as capable an EDC as my old Case peanut and Buck 309 companion, but with the added capability of the file tip that is a decent Phillips driver, and the SD tip on the orange peeler that makes a fair bottle opener and larger Phillips driver, and the serrated blade is a good package opener.

I feel good about going down the road with an executive in my pocket as my sole EDC, just as I would feel good about setting out for California in a Toyota Corolla. It'll be fine.

Thank you, Nix, you've made a total convert out of me!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:08:01 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1634 on: September 02, 2018, 06:09:11 PM
Nice analogy, Carl.  :tu:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1635 on: September 02, 2018, 06:35:03 PM
The little Toyota Yaris . . . Toyota Camry . . . Corolla

That's a valid worldview, no doubt.  And maybe one notch better on the mental health scale than my worldview.

I drive a Chevy Suburban.  I rarely need the room, but when I do there is no substitute for interior volume.  It carries people and stuff when I need it.  And in a crash, heavier is better.  Heavier wins.

What's that have to do with the Executive?  If the Executive is a Corolla, the Explorer Plus is the Suburban.  I don't often need the magnifier, real 3D phillips with long shank, etc.  But when I do, there is no substitute.

My 17 year old son drives a Camry, btw.  Fine set of wheels.

Explorer Plus.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #1636 on: September 02, 2018, 06:36:38 PM
Good thoughts on the Executive!  I like to point out that it punches way above its weight class--lots of function in a conveniently small package!

After the first CYC challenge, I started the Executive Lounge topic in the hopes that Executive owners would continue to share photos & experiences with this special Swiss Army Knife.  After a steady diet of photos and thoughts during this challenge, it would be a shame to see the enthusiasm evaporate. 

In an attempt to revive the topic, I posted a "Family" photo and some teasers the day following the CYC2 completion.  Maybe it can be a weekly think like Swiss Champ Sunday.

I'll repeat this post in the Executive Lounge Topic thread in the hopes that more CYC2 challengers will see it.

Jim

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #1637 on: September 02, 2018, 06:41:34 PM

That's a valid worldview, no doubt.  And maybe one notch better on the mental health scale than my worldview.

I drive a Chevy Suburban.  I rarely need the room, but when I do there is no substitute for interior volume.  It carries people and stuff when I need it.  And in a crash, heavier is better.  Heavier wins.

What's that have to do with the Executive?  If the Executive is a Corolla, the Explorer Plus is the Suburban.  I don't often need the magnifier, real 3D phillips with long shank, etc.  But when I do, there is no substitute.

Explorer Plus.

Interesting analogy and choice of SAK parallel to the Suburban.  The Explorer has long been a favorite of mine and I have somewhere north of 30 of them. I still keep one within reach if not on my person.  It definitely would not fit comfortably in my gym shorts as does the Executive.

:cheers:

Jim

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1638 on: September 02, 2018, 07:09:46 PM

Explorer Plus.

Nice photo! Like that reflection effect.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1639 on: September 02, 2018, 08:37:47 PM

This sums up my feelings on the executive. I've always ignored it as a 'what the heck' kind of knife. It's bigger than a 58 but smaller than a 84, so what is it good for?

I can only make an analogy with cars.

Surprise, on drivning a Corolla I find it just enough bigger than the Yaris that it can do longer trips cross country  with a trunk full of luggage, and carry four adults in reasonable comfort if some of them are not built like Sydney Greenstreet. The capability of the Corolla over the little Yaris is so much more so than tit becomes worth it to have, thus phasing out the smaller Yaris.

To me, the executive is just enough bigger and more capable that it phases out my little Classic that has been staple on my keyring for twenty years. In fact, it's just capable enough that it has become my new EDC.

I feel good about going down the road with an executive in my pocket as my sole EDC, just as I would feel good about setting out for California in a Toyota Corolla. It'll be fine.

Nice Analogy cbl! :like: :tu: :tu:

I love my Toyota Corolla and my Executives too! :cheers:

PS.....I used to have a Yaris! :D

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1640 on: September 02, 2018, 08:40:26 PM

Nice pic powernoodle! :like: :tu: :tu:

The Explorer Plus is a great EDC! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1641 on: September 02, 2018, 08:48:34 PM

I'll repeat this post in the Executive Lounge Topic thread in the hopes that more CYC2 challengers will see it.

Jim

The Executive lounge is great, Jim. Especially for bring the Exec to the attention of some who might overlook it.

I'll be sure to post up there again, but for September I'm caught up in a LM Wave challenge.  :cheers:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #1642 on: September 02, 2018, 09:29:05 PM

I can only make an analogy with cars.

To me, the executive is just enough bigger and more capable that it phases out my little Classic that has been staple on my keyring for twenty years. In fact, it's just capable enough that it has become my new EDC.

Nice Analogy cbl! :like: :tu: :tu:

I love my Toyota Corolla and my Executives too! :cheers:

PS.....I used to have a Yaris! :D

Our family drives only Toyota's. When we had kids we bought a new 1977 Toyota van. We flogged that brick on wheels for 20 years and 246,000 miles. The tranny was what eventually dropped out of it, and by that time we didn't need a van any more. That brick took kids to soccer practice, Boy Scouts, girl scouts, lacrosse games, camping, hiking, shopping and all of it. The three kids and a dog covered a lot of ground with us in that van, and it never let us down.

When our oldest boy got his license, we got him a slightly used two year old Corolla with 20 something thousand on the clock. By the time he graduated college it had 240,00 something. By the time it dropped dead it had a bit north of 300K on it, and was held together with bondo and duct tape. He bought a new Camry and is on his second one. Our daughter drives a highlander, and our youngest son drives a Tacoma extra cab. On holidays, outhouse looks like a Toyota commercial.

I'm still running the same little Tacoma I bought in 2001 and it's never let me down in 172,000 miles.

Toyota; it's what you drive when you really want to get where you're going.

Victorinox; It's what you carry in your pocket when you want something that really works!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:39:48 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #1643 on: September 02, 2018, 11:01:27 PM

Jim

The Executive lounge is great, Jim. Especially for bring the Exec to the attention of some who might overlook it.

I'll be sure to post up there again, but for September I'm caught up in a LM Wave challenge.  :cheers:

All the best to you for the LM Wave Challenge!

Jim

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1644 on: September 02, 2018, 11:05:39 PM

Our family drives only Toyota's.

Victorinox; It's what you carry in your pocket when you want something that really works!

I am also sold on Toyota and Victorinox...they both offer a quality product! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1645 on: September 02, 2018, 11:55:56 PM
My truck is a Toyota Tundra.   :rofl:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1646 on: September 03, 2018, 01:05:45 AM
My truck is a Toyota Tundra.   :rofl:

:cheers: :cheers:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #1647 on: September 03, 2018, 01:36:00 AM
I'm looking at getting a motorcycle next, so what would the multitool equivalent be :think: A utilikey? A shard?

I rented a Yaris in Belgium about 15 years ago and was shocked at how small it was. I think it had a 1 or 1.2 liter engine. Barely held 4 pieces of luggage. It could go 75 mph on the highway but was at about 3750 rpms. Fine though for an urban commuter car. I was surprised at how ubiquitous the sub compact was in Europe until I went to buy gas and then it all made sense :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #1648 on: September 03, 2018, 02:33:12 PM

I am also sold on Toyota and Victorinox...they both offer a quality product! :cheers:

Toyotinox!!!  :D  or is it Victoriyota?  ???
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1649 on: September 03, 2018, 02:36:20 PM

Toyotinox!!!  :D  or is it Victoriyota?  ???

:like: :cheers: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD