Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 32184

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 10:29:00 PM
Sorry you can't join us...... :cry:...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 10:33:15 PM
I can't join because:
- I haven't got an executive
- I'll be out of country for the largest part of the challenge, exploring new horizons with an Outrider in my pack :whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 10:40:41 PM
What?  :twak:

They confiscate your Executives at the border?

You guys......... :facepalm:

And get yourself an Executive--they are weird, but they are fun. And darned handy too! 

us Offline getahl

Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 02:48:01 AM
I've gone without anything save an Exec a few times. The first for three months about five years ago, when it was new to me. Did just fine. A second time maybe about a year ago, just for kicks. Again did just fine. I miss having a screwdriver...the one on the scraper just doesn't cut the mustard.

The nail file isn't  terribly aggressive, but that's fine. I have a nail clipper for that reason. I like the blades, and scissors are fairly robust. I do wish they made other colors more easily accessible. I also wish I could find a reasonably priced gentleman lobster pattern,  of good quality,  in mother of pearl. As it stands, the Exec fills this role fairly well, although I do like variety.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 06:21:59 PM
Well I was offered one for €10 in shady condition.

Ended up picking an Evowood 10 instead with "La gruière branding.
For €10...

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 12:49:35 AM
Do Directors count--they're basically Executives spiced up with nice stainless scales? I have both, but did the challenge last time with my Biomet standard Executive, but want to try something different since I acquired this model after the challenge.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 12:51:07 AM
YES!  :like:

Great idea!   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 04:24:22 PM
I had a rummage though the knife box this morning and dug out the Executive, to be sure to be ready for the upcoming challenge.
A light stropping and she's ready to go.  :tu:

us Offline getahl

Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 04:52:27 PM
I always wanted a director, and they're going to 40+ on Ebay right now. Tempting,  but i already have a couple Executives.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 05:36:23 PM
Okay, I guess I'm gonna be in. In an unbelievable act of generosity, Nix has taken on the task of equipping me with an executive for this challenge. I will do my best to live up to the high standards set here on this forum by emptying my pockets of all other knives to include my trusty keyring sheathed classic. The executive will be my sole pocket knife for the duration of the challenge, as a tribute to General Chuck Yeager. If that guy from West Virginia can backpack into the Sierra Nevada wilderness for up to two weeks at a time with just an exec, I should be able to survive the wilds of suburbia.

Nix, thank you man. That is epic!!!

I've never had or even handled an executive, so this curmudgeonish old fart is venturing into new territory.
---------------------------------------------------------

Edit to add an hour later; the package just arrived from Nix/Jack, and I am now the owner of an executive. On unboxing, that I used my classic for :D, I was impressed on how much more substantial it feels in hand than my much carried and beloved classic. The 74mm really is a whole other class of pocket knives than the little 58's.

It feels a little big for a keychain knife, but it's going to be a coin/watch pocket knife for me. Even though here in the Texas summer, it's a 102 degree day, my shorts of choice is the Wrangler denim shorts from Walmart. The coin pocket to me is really a small pocket knife pocket for items like Case peanut, Victorinox bantam. Now it will be the executive that will be there exclusively for the duration of this challenge which I just may start today. I can't resist a new pocket knife.

So, to put it in a nutshell, I'm very impressed with this executive, and it may takeover my coin pocket from now on. I never would have expected the executive to be that more substantial feeling than the classic, as in my mind the exec was just a stretched out 58mm. I could not have been more wrong.

Okay Nix, we're on! Will this be the end of the 20 year classic love affair?

We'll know in a month or so. In the meantime, Thank you so very much to Nix for a very generous gift! :tu: :tu: :tu:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:49:58 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 06:41:44 PM
Okay, I guess I'm gonna be in.

Welcome to the group cbl51! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 07:41:37 PM
Awlsome to have you join us, Carl!   :tu:  :cheers:

I, too, keep the Executive in the watch pocket of my jeans.

After I got mine out of the knife box this morning, I absentmindedly stuck it in my watch pocket. I forgot I had it with me ***quickly taps his pocket*** until I was reading this thread again. The watch pocket was made for the Executive.

Hey, let's call it the "Executive Pocket"; clearly that's what it's really intended for... :rofl: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 07:44:29 PM
Nix
VICMAN
Barry
GoatDragon
getahl
cbl51

:bud:

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:29 PM
I’ll be honest guys.  I participated in the last executive challenge and never took it off my keychain sinse.  What conclusions came out of it? An executive is all I really need.  I rarely use a knife in the office, and occasionally when I need it, I reach for my executive.  For now, this realization helped me slow down my SAK hoarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:29:31 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 08:27:45 PM
I’ll be honest guys.  I participated in the last executive challenge and never took it off my keychain.  What conclusions came out of it? An executive is all I really need.  I rarely use a knife in the office, and occasionally when I need it, I reach for my executive.  For now, this realization helped me slow down my SAK hoarding.

This was a conclusion I came to many years ago. While still young and growing in the 1950's, most the men I grew up around were all military vets of WW2 and before that the great depression. My dad carried a little two blade Case peanut as his sole pocketknife and got by very nicely with it. That was the typical knife I saw growing up; the small 3 inch or so closed two blade jackknife or pen knife. All sorts of working guys carried one for their knife and did well. They opened boxes, cut twine, peeled fruit, did double duty as a fishing knife for cutting line and bait, as well as gutting and cleaning the catch of the day. Jack knives, Barlow kins, pen knives, all did what they needed to do as a cutting tool. So it was my knife as well. At least up to when I joined the Boy Scouts at age 12 and dd gave me a scout knife.

That set the pattern for me for many years, having a knife with a few tools on it. When I was in the army stationed in Germany, I saw a SAK display in the window of a knife shop in Rothenburg Germany. I got hooked on SAk's then. For years, my carry was a small tinker, or a recruit. Then I discovered alox. The slim cadet took up residence in my coin pocket for a long time.

Once I reached middle age I just carried a smaller knife as I just didn't think I needed much knife in modern suburbia. With no hostile injuns coming over the hill to take my scalp, or buffalo to skin, a small pocketknife was all that was needed, even in the machine shop I worked in. Look at how much can be done with a Stanley siding blade utility knife with a replaceable one inch blade. Over the years I actually went down to the little Vic classic and got by just fine. The only thing it failed at was food use. Just too short for slicing through a thick loaf of bread, or dealing with stuff away from the home kitchen. Eating out at a BBQ joint and having to separate ribs from the rest of the uncut rack with a classic don't work. Thus the watch/coin pocket of my jeans was always taken up with a knife like the Schrade Uncle Henry 897, or a Case peanut that had that tiny extra bit of blade that was handy, but still in a coin pocket size package.

Now with an executive in hand for the first time, I see how it's just that extra bit bigger that makes a huge difference in real world usability over the 58mm that I used for the past 20 something years. A coin pocket size knife with the extra capability of dealing with small flat and Phillips screws, and scissors, always a handy thing to have. I've already found the spear shaped tip on the exec is good for small Phillips screws in a pinch if I don't feel like digging the Vic quarto out of my wallet.

This is gonna be interesting.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:33:00 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #45 on: July 18, 2018, 08:32:31 PM
I’ll be honest guys.  I participated in the last executive challenge and never took it off my keychain.  What conclusions came out of it? An executive is all I really need.  I rarely use a knife in the office, and occasionally when I need it, I reach for my executive.  For now, this realization helped me slow down my SAK hoarding.

This was a conclusion I came to many years ago. While still young and growing in the 1950's, most themes I grew up around were all military vets of WW2 and before that the great depression. My dad carried a little two blade Case peanut as his sole pocketknife and go by very nicely with it. That was the typical knife I saw growing up; the small 3 inch or so closed two blade jackknife or pen knife. All sorts of working guys carried one for their knife and did well. They opened boxes, cut twine, peeled fruit, did double duty as a fishing knife for cutting line and bait, as well as gutting and cleaning the catch of the day. Jack knives, Barlow kins, pen knives, all did what they needed to do as a cutting tool. So it was my knife as well. At least up to when I joined the Boy Scouts at age 12 and dd gav me a scout knife.

That set the pattern for me formally years, having a knife with a few tools on it. WehnI ws I the army stationed in Germany, I saw a SAK display in the window of a knife shop in Rothenburg Germany. I got hooked on SAk's then. For years, my carry was a small tinker, or a recruit. Then I discovered alox. The slim cadet took up residence in my coin pocket for a long time.

ONce I reached middle age I just carried a smaller knife as I just didn't think I needed much knife in modern suburbia. With no hostile injuns coming over the hill to take my scalp, or buffalo to skin, a small pocketknife was all that was needed, even in the machine shop I worked in. Look at how much can be done with a Stanley siding blade utility knife with a replaceable one inch blade. Over the years I actually went down to the little Vic classic and got by just fine. The only thing it failed at was food use. Just too short for slicing through a thick loaf of bread, or dealing with stuff away from the home kitchen. Eating out at a BBQ joint and having to separate ribs from the rest of the uncut rack with a classic don't work. Thus the watch/coin pocket of my jeans was always taken up with a knife like the Schrade Uncle Henry 897, or a Case peanut that had that tiny extra bit of blade that was handy, but still in a coin pocket size package.

Now with an executive in hand for the first time, I see how it's just that extra bit bigger that makes a huge difference in real world usability over the 58mm that I used for the past 20 something years. A coin pocket size knife with the extra capability of dealing with small flat and Phillips screws, and scissors, always a handy thing to have. I've already found the spear shaped tip on the exec is good for small Phillips screws in a pinch if I don't feel like digging the Vic quarto out of my wallet.

Great insight sbl51.  Looking worward to seeing your pictures.
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 08:41:57 PM

The challenge hasn't even officially started and you guys are awlready providing some great insights.

I'm stoked to be doing the Chuck Yeager challenge awl over again. (Perhaps we need a CYC merit badge?)

Zhenchok; you've done it once; you've lived it since; how about joining us for a second round?   :pok:  c'mon..... :cheers:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 09:08:40 PM
Chuck Yeager is 95 years old and still going strong. In fact he's married to a 45 year old woman he met while hiking, and his kids have sued him thinking the ne wife is going to get all the money. Greedy little bastids. Yeager is a bit of a curmudgeon but he's earned that right with all he's done for tis country. YES, they need a Chuck Yeager challenge merit badge in honor of this man. I've read his books Yeager as well as Press On. Press on is a hilarious at times account of his adventures in fishing and hunting and the famous back packing trips he and his old friend Andy did in the Sierra Nevada mountains after the California Golden Trout, which Yeager had an obsession on caching and cooking over a campfire.

I'm willing to bet that as we talk, he's still got his executive in his pocket.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 09:18:33 PM
I dearly hope so!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 11:29:15 PM
This will be fun to follow! I'm in the sans-Executive camp, and I'm pretty sure I won't have one until the start of the challenge, but at some point, sooner or later - maybe when Grant will have some used ones at those nice budget prices at MTO store - I'll join the club, and until then I'll watch and learn! 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: July 19, 2018, 12:22:38 AM
C'mon, Exeter!   :pok: :cheers:

Get an Exec and join in!  :tu:

us Offline getahl

Reply #51 on: July 19, 2018, 04:43:30 AM
Plus one. Heck, I'm starting early, replacing some valves on a drip line in the backyard. I figured I'd use my pocket knife instead of my Stanley. Also tightened up the pivot screw of my utility shears, which are kinda visible in the pic.

Really,  I use a 58mm most of the time. I work in an office, not in a warehouse, construction, or anything else requiring a decent sized knife. Scissors in my 58mms get used more than the blade, to boot. I have a paring knife in my lunch box, utility knives in various tool boxes, and  kitchen knives in the kitchen.  I just don't use big knives. I'm happy with smaller ones.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 04:46:52 AM
 :tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 05:06:37 AM
Also tightened up the pivot screw of my utility shears, which are kinda visible in the pic.

Pic???

us Offline getahl

Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 05:32:34 AM
Came out to 3mb, file size limit is 1.. I'll tinker with my photobucket account when I get home from walking the dog.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 05:58:46 AM
I'm in like Flynn with this old Companion  :salute:

* s-l400 (3).jpg (Filesize: 12.94 KB)

* s-l400 (4).jpg (Filesize: 11.46 KB)

* s-l400 (2).jpg (Filesize: 9.9 KB)

* s-l400.jpg (Filesize: 14.58 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline getahl

Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 06:04:09 AM

Eh?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #57 on: July 19, 2018, 06:50:35 AM
Outstanding guys!!  FoBo, we need you too!!
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #58 on: July 19, 2018, 08:09:44 AM
Still thinking about it. At least I already have a couple and from past experience I know that I like them.

But the classic could be just a tad bigger.

The Ambassador would be the way to go then.

I'll be in for this Challenge Nix. Last year I picked up an Ambassador and carried that for CYC1.

As FoBo's recent 58mm etc Challenge reminded me if you put your mind to it 58mm can cover a surprisingly wide base. And I enjoyed the Ambassadors svelte lines just disappearing into my pocket with a decent toolset.

This time round I'll aim to carry my Executive and see what that Orange Peeler can do. My problem is I picked up a MiniChamp for the 58mm etc Challenge and I am thoroughly enjoying what that can do!
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: July 19, 2018, 02:43:49 PM
Plus one. Heck, I'm starting early, replacing some valves on a drip line in the backyard. I figured I'd use my pocket knife instead of my Stanley. Also tightened up the pivot screw of my utility shears, which are kinda visible in the pic.

Really,  I use a 58mm most of the time. I work in an office, not in a warehouse, construction, or anything else requiring a decent sized knife. Scissors in my 58mms get used more than the blade, to boot. I have a paring knife in my lunch box, utility knives in various tool boxes, and  kitchen knives in the kitchen.  I just don't use big knives. I'm happy with smaller ones.

Pretty much the same boat I'm in. Being retired I'm not ut doing heavy stuff, just a lot of fiddling with fishing gear while sitting on the bank of the San Gabriel river or Lake Georgetown. But...even when I was working in the machine shop before I retired, there was a lot of dirty cutting to br done, and it was mostly done with the Stanley unity knives that were on all the work benches. It was very surprising and educational to see what a thin one inch blade can do. After that idiot kid cut off his right index finger when his Buck 110 folded on him from lock failure, the company banned folding knives from the shop and cutting had to done with either the unity knives or shears/snips.

In 98% of civilian life, a small pocket knife is adequate for most cutting jobs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%