Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 36342

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #450 on: August 06, 2018, 06:22:42 PM
So I examined the Executive for cap lifting, the best option would have been a more pronounced hook on the Orange peeler but it's not there, anything else looked like it would damage the SAK.
Luckily before the Challenge I removed the Classic from my keyring and added a Cap lifter  :cheers:
I'd of been over the moon if the Orange peeler would have worked :ahhh

Nice pics Greg! :like: :tu: :tu:

At least  tried to figure out a way!. :cheers:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #451 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:28 PM
So I examined the Executive for cap lifting, the best option would have been a more pronounced hook on the Orange peeler but it's not there, anything else looked like it would damage the SAK.
Luckily before the Challenge I removed the Classic from my keyring and added a Cap lifter  :cheers:

I've used my old classic for opening many beer bottles. Just put the SD tip of the nail file under the edge of the cap and twist gently. Don't pry! Just twist, and move a little to the side and twist again. Do this a few times around the edge of the cap and you can push off the cap wth thumb pressure. The bottle caps are VERY soft metal and the slight twist of the SD tip on either the classic or the executive will loosen the cap. No dedicated bottle opener needed. It just takes about three or four twists of the screw driver tip around half the cap edge to loosen the cap.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:39:58 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #452 on: August 06, 2018, 06:46:48 PM

I've used my old classic for opening many beer bottles. Just put the SD tip of the nail file under the edge of the cap and twist gently. Don't pry! Just twist, and move a little to the side and twist again. Do this a few times around the edge of the cap and you can push off the cap wth thumb pressure. The bottle caps are VERY soft metal and the slight twist of the SD tip on either the classic or the executive will loosen the cap. No dedicated bottle opener needed. It just takes about three or four twists of the screw driver tip around half the cap edge to loosen the cap.

Great tip  :tu: it's rare not to have a twist off cap anymore, and really I enjoy popping them even if they are  :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #453 on: August 06, 2018, 06:47:59 PM
 :cheers: VICMAN

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #454 on: August 06, 2018, 06:51:06 PM

Great tip  :tu: it's rare not to have a twist off cap anymore, and really I enjoy popping them even if they are  :cheers:

When my eldest son came home from college after his first semester, he showed me a dozen different ways to open a beer with no opener. House key, Bic lighter, belt buckle, teaspoon, butter knife, another beer bottle, even a folded up dollar bill.

I was very glad to know that my money spent on his education had some tangible results! ::)
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #455 on: August 06, 2018, 06:53:18 PM

There's a better way. Use the tip of the nail file. Insert under the cap, twist slightly so as to allow the cap to slide off. Here the key is used as a prybar, using the thumb as fulcrum. No need for that. Insert Nail file along the neck of the bottle, little twist (repeat in another point is needed) and the cap comes right off.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:55:20 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #456 on: August 06, 2018, 06:56:26 PM
Must write faster, got ninjaed by Carl...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #457 on: August 06, 2018, 07:14:41 PM
Carl, the dollar bill sounds interesting, everything else I've done, and let's not forget that special person at every party that used they're teeth  :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #458 on: August 06, 2018, 07:17:26 PM

There's a better way. Use the tip of the nail file. Insert under the cap, twist slightly so as to allow the cap to slide off. Here the key is used as a prybar, using the thumb as fulcrum. No need for that. Insert Nail file along the neck of the bottle, little twist (repeat in another point is needed) and the cap comes right off.

(Image removed from quote.)

But the real mystery is how did you take the picture  :think:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #459 on: August 06, 2018, 07:19:49 PM
Happy Chuck Yeager Challenge II Day 6!

I decided to stay with the nail file theme after witnessing the noble task of removing a cap from a bottle of beer.

I much prefer using the Cadet's nail file for occasional nail filing duties.  The Executive nail file does have some use for general light filing tasks but is susceptible to staining with residue from filing tasks.

Since there are a number of items at home that have battery compartments secured with a tiny phillips screw, I wanted to explore the possibility of using the nail file for this duty.  I have already successfully tested the tip of the Orange Peeler and was pleasantly surprised to see the tip of the nail file successfully remove and secure the tiny phillips screw.  No more searching around for a small phillips driver when needed to change batteries!

CYC - 6 by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #460 on: August 06, 2018, 07:22:27 PM
 :like:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #461 on: August 06, 2018, 07:33:04 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

But the real mystery is how did you take the picture  :think:

With my teeth, like the special person I am.

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #462 on: August 06, 2018, 08:03:41 PM
Nice job, Jim!   :tu:

I have used the Orange Peeler to open a beer bottle, but it was a little tricky. I think the tip could be used in the same manner the Santos pictured though.  I guess I'll have to do some research...... :whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #463 on: August 06, 2018, 08:04:57 PM
Day 06 :

Used the Orange Peeler to clip the tags off a new day pack.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #464 on: August 06, 2018, 08:06:57 PM
Happy Chuck Yeager Challenge II Day 6!

I decided to stay with the nail file theme after witnessing the noble task of removing a cap from a bottle of beer.

I much prefer using the Cadet's nail file for occasional nail filing duties.  The Executive nail file does have some use for general light filing tasks but is susceptible to staining with residue from filing tasks.

Since there are a number of items at home that have battery compartments secured with a tiny phillips screw, I wanted to explore the possibility of using the nail file for this duty.  I have already successfully tested the tip of the Orange Peeler and was pleasantly surprised to see the tip of the nail file successfully remove and secure the tiny phillips screw.  No more searching around for a small phillips driver when needed to change batteries!

Nice pic Jim! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the nail file! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #465 on: August 06, 2018, 08:08:15 PM
Day 06 :

Nice day pack and pic Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the orange peeler! :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #466 on: August 06, 2018, 08:12:08 PM
Day 06 :

Nice day pack and pic Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

+1  :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #467 on: August 06, 2018, 08:13:33 PM
Thanks, guys.  :tu:   :tu:

Now to do some more hiking........

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #468 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:16 PM
Day VI
Is the blades open up a fresh ream of copy paper this morning
IMG_20180806_093256.jpg
* IMG_20180806_093256.jpg (Filesize: 142.65 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #469 on: August 06, 2018, 08:58:07 PM
Day VI
Is the blades open up a fresh ream of copy paper this morning

Nice pic El C! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the blade! :cheers:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #470 on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:35 PM
Because it's Monday Oneday I went for my Ambassador today. Just a bit of nail fettling today.
IMG_0764.jpg
* IMG_0764.jpg (Filesize: 200.01 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #471 on: August 06, 2018, 09:16:46 PM
Because it's Monday Oneday I went for my Ambassador today. Just a bit of nail fettling today.

Cool pic Bill! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the nail file! :cheers:

it Offline Mini

Reply #472 on: August 06, 2018, 10:39:42 PM
Thanks for all the appreciation for the last post. Scales are taken from an ambassador limited series, the same of this post. One side is colorful and one white.
The place is quite near home, about 40 minutes with car. It's about 800 meters high, with a lot of vegetation, a  wonderful to excape from high temperature.

Day 6

Today It was time for a baby watermelon. It's like watermelon, same taste, but with reduced size, without seeds or very little seeds.

I had no problem with cutting it.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:41:01 PM by Mini »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #473 on: August 06, 2018, 10:51:54 PM

Day 6

Today It was time for a baby watermelon. It's like watermelon, same taste, but with reduced size, without seeds or very little seeds.

I had no problem with cutting it.

Nice pic Mini! :like: :tu: :tu:

Great use of the blade! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #474 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55:05 PM
Nice uses, guys!   :like:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #475 on: August 06, 2018, 11:33:40 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #476 on: August 07, 2018, 12:56:46 AM
Day 06 (continued):

Used the small bump at the base of the Orange Peeler to lift a few teeth and take the cap off a cold one.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #477 on: August 07, 2018, 02:00:58 AM
I agree!  Around our house it's usually PG Tips, with Barry's Irish tea for variety.  I've always said that if I had to pick one, tea would win out over coffee every time.

I'm hard pressed to think of a sharper blade than the 58/65/74 series, and today's task just reinforced that.  I used the main blade to trim cord for my DR Trimmer, and the main blade cut through so fast I was surprised.
quote author=cbl51 link=topic=78036.msg1742589#msg1742589 date=1533564013]

(Pot of tea to start the day here.  :D)

I tend to like tea to start the day. Twinings English breakfast tea or Tetley British Blend is my preferred pot. I grew up with a pot of tea on the stove. I remember my old Uncle Pat telling me that no matter how bad things are, if you can make a pot of tea, things aren't as bad as you think.

I think it's treasonous that coffee is replacing tea as the preferred drink in the U.K..  :o
[/quote]
IMG_20180806_170357.jpg
* IMG_20180806_170357.jpg (Filesize: 371.32 KB)
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #478 on: August 07, 2018, 02:50:10 AM
Day 06 (continued):

Used the small bump at the base of the Orange Peeler to lift a few teeth and take the cap off a cold one.

Nice pic Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #479 on: August 07, 2018, 02:52:33 AM

I'm hard pressed to think of a sharper blade than the 58/65/74 series, and today's task just reinforced that.  I used the main blade to trim cord for my DR Trimmer, and the main blade cut through so fast I was surprised.

Nice pic Barry! :like: :tu: :tu:

Great use of the main blade! :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59