Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 32187

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #60 on: July 19, 2018, 02:53:31 PM
Excellent! Glad you guys are joining in on this!

Current challenge team:

Nix
VICMAN
Barry
GoatDragon
getahl
cbl51
El Corkscrew
Fast Bill

We still have room for another 1 or 2 dozen starters...... :rofl: 
zrxoa1? Zhenchok? FoBo? Mags? Hiraethus?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #61 on: July 19, 2018, 03:21:07 PM
 :ahhh Great to have you Bill!!
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: July 19, 2018, 05:03:29 PM
Okay, it's the next day since I got the exec, and so far it's been a time of discovery. Feeling out the new tool. I used it to open a few plastic bags, one of bird seed for the feeders and one of some landscaping border stakes. As far as knife uses its fine. I did use the nail file to smooth out a chipped nail, and it's different. I didn't know that Victorinox uses a different type file from the rough stuff on the 58's nail file. This exec is like a real metal nail file, and I can't say if I like it better or worse than the classic's since I'm so familiar with the classic. All I can say is, it's different, but ti seems to work well.

I can't predict if I will have any good to say about the orange peeler. This was one thing that I think may have kept me from buying an executive in the past, as I just can't see the use of it. I'd really wish that Victorinox would replace it with a combo like tool like on the 58's with a dedicated small Phillips and bottle opener. Or even a full serrated blade like on their paring knives.

But overall, my next day impression is still one of a very very nice knife with enough added handle for added heft and confidence in a bit heavier use. I like it.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: July 19, 2018, 05:12:53 PM
The orange peeler seems to work well for opening clam-shell packaging.  And the tip works like a small driver. I find it is mostly a fun thing to use, but not terribly important in itself.

Reflecting back on a fruit-filled life, I can't say I've ever met an orange I couldn't peel with just a regular knife. So it does seem like an odd tool to include in a knife with two other cutting blades. I just think of it as an extra cutter.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #64 on: July 19, 2018, 10:40:46 PM
:ahhh Great to have you Bill!!

The pleasure will be all mine Barry. Don't forget to lay on the clowns ! :rofl:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #65 on: July 19, 2018, 10:49:08 PM
The orange peeler seems to work well for opening clam-shell packaging.  And the tip works like a small driver. I find it is mostly a fun thing to use, but not terribly important in itself.

Reflecting back on a fruit-filled life, I can't say I've ever met an orange I couldn't peel with just a regular knife. So it does seem like an odd tool to include in a knife with two other cutting blades. I just think of it as an extra cutter.

But the point here Nix is surely that with the Executives peeler "Management" can show it keeps a suitable distance from all that disdainful hard work of cutting so that one's fingers are not tainted and are free to point and wave instructions to lesser mortals ?  This must be in the Management Manual somewhere?
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: July 19, 2018, 10:57:17 PM
 :rofl:

Oh, dear, me.......

I never got a copy.  Should I infer something by that 'omission'?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: July 20, 2018, 08:33:17 PM
Okay, day three of my getting to know the executive.

I'm really liking this knife. I found today that unlike the little 58mm, the main blade of the exec is capable of slicing an everything bagel from Panera bread in half. The better half and I are in the habit of stopping by Panera to get a couple bagels and those little cream cheese containers for 'rations' on our woods walks around the trails of Lake Georgetown. The little 58 or the blade on the Leatherman squirt is too small for this job, so had to take a third knife along on trips that may involve food by the trailside. No longer!

That itty bitty little extra blade length is handy. Works better for spreading the cream cheese too! :D

I'm still making my mind up on the nail file over the rough stuff on the 58's nail file. Does anyone know what the 58 nail file stuff is????
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:35:17 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: July 21, 2018, 12:36:46 AM
I'm torn on the file issue.

The Executive's file is pretty aggressive for a nail file, and, like you, I grew up using that handy little Classic file. But I seem to recall that after the first CYC, I came away slightly preferring the Executive's file.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: July 21, 2018, 01:01:28 AM

The Executive's file is pretty aggressive for a nail file, and, like you, I grew up using that handy little Classic file. But I seem to recall that after the first CYC, I came away slightly preferring the Executive's file.

Has the exec file always been a real cut type file like this???

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: July 21, 2018, 01:08:25 AM
Older heads would know better than I.

I only came to the Executive a year ago. And the files on both (2) of my Execs are the aggressive metal-type.

I understand that the new Cadet has this type of file now also.

us Offline getahl

Reply #71 on: July 21, 2018, 07:38:21 AM

Has the exec file always been a real cut type file like this???

At least a decade. The first one I bought was circa 2009, and had the pivot screw instead of a rivet. That Exec has the cross cut file, and is actually more aggressive than the Black Exec in the pictures I've posted, which was bought new in 2014.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: July 21, 2018, 12:54:15 PM
Before I commit and order one  :ahhh could someone post a couple pics next to an 84 or 91 mm, I'd like to see the main blade for comparison, please and Thank you  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: July 21, 2018, 03:06:58 PM
Before I commit and order one  :ahhh could someone post a couple pics next to an 84 or 91 mm, I'd like to see the main blade for comparison, please and Thank you  :cheers:

Here is an Executive next to a 91mm Climber

Click on pictures for best picture
GEDC1397.JPG
* GEDC1397.JPG (Filesize: 286.85 KB)
GEDC1400.JPG
* GEDC1400.JPG (Filesize: 103.37 KB)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 03:11:56 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #74 on: July 21, 2018, 03:13:07 PM
Greg, it's like a Classic with substance.  While it doesn't appear all that different size-wise from an 84, it has a feeling all it's own. 
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: July 21, 2018, 03:14:50 PM

Greg, get one, do the challenge. I know that after doing the CYC2, the Executive will find a place in your carry.   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: July 21, 2018, 03:15:28 PM
Greg, it's like a Classic with substance.  While it doesn't appear all that different size-wise from an 84, it has a feeling all it's own.

What Barry said.   :2tu:

us Offline getahl

Reply #77 on: July 21, 2018, 03:40:39 PM

What Barry said.   :2tu:

+2. While more substantial than the 58mm, it's still firmly in pen blade territory. The leap from 74 to 84 is much more noticeable.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: July 21, 2018, 04:06:04 PM
Thanks for the pics and insights  :tu:
Executive is ordered and will be in hand by the 25th plenty of time before the Challenge
Nix you can add me to the list  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: July 21, 2018, 04:11:12 PM
 :woohoo:  :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: July 21, 2018, 04:17:25 PM
Team CYC2:

Nix
VICMAN
Barry
GoatDragon
getahl
cbl51
El Corkscrew
Fast Bill
Greg

I'm still hoping we get a couple more folks in on this. 

And, I agree with Carl, the special nature of this challenge, a Chuck Yeager Challenge, deserves it's own badge. Mods, is this a possibility?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: July 21, 2018, 05:14:10 PM
A quote from Chuck Yeager;

[You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up.]

As a half way crippled up old vet, I take this to heart.

If this guy can get by up in the Sierra Nevada mountains with a Vic executive, then I'm gong to give one big college try. Yeah, there needs too e a Yeager merit badge!

Oh, and all you folks need to read "Press On" by Chuck Yeager.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: July 21, 2018, 05:34:33 PM
I read his bio, but I haven't read Press On.

:salute:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: July 21, 2018, 06:22:21 PM
I read his bio, but I haven't read Press On.

:salute:

You need to. It's hilarious, sometimes so much so I couldn't read because I was laughing so hard. It's a great insight into him and his friends who were the pioneers of aircraft design when they were all test pilots out in Nevada. No choirboys or angles there. They were a hard drinking and hard partying bunch of guys.

He doesn't ourtrght admit why they did, but he and his buddy Andy went to Rokon Rangers when they started to get a bit old to be backpacking into the deep wilderness by foot. This led to some very funny adventures.

In press on, in one chapter he gives a checklist of his backpacking gear, and lists a fishing knife with parenthesis that your pocket knife can be used and thus shave some more weight from the overall load. He talks of using the small pocket knife to gut the trout they catch, and wrap it in foil and bake it in the coals of the campfire. Yeager stated that he never found much use for more than a sharp pen knife in the outdoors unless field dressing large game. That little executive may have gutted uncounted numbers of California Golden Trout that Yeager was passionate about catching and eating. Admittedly they took packs of Ramen as standby in case of bad fishing, but the trout made up most of their menu while camping out.

Very very good reading.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:23:33 PM by cbl51 »

it Offline Mini

Reply #84 on: July 23, 2018, 12:59:22 AM
Hi guys, during the lasts months I can't read and partecipate to the forum, I was quite busy and this condition is not changing, but didn't pass a week that I regretted to not log in to the forum or read something about sak and all of you. Finally I'm here and... I have to partecipate! Probably my pics and descriptions will not be rich, but count me  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: July 23, 2018, 01:08:29 AM
That's great, Mini!  :woohoo:

I'm really glad you will be joining us!   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: July 23, 2018, 01:09:09 AM
Team CYC2:

Nix
VICMAN
Barry
GoatDragon
getahl
cbl51
El Corkscrew
Fast Bill
Greg
Mini

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #87 on: July 23, 2018, 04:03:23 AM
Outstanding guys!!  Great to have you!!  Carl, I'm going to find that one and read it.  I read his autobiography years back and loved it.  I wonder if the lady that helped him after he got shot down gave him an Opinel for his journey?
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 04:51:44 AM
Outstanding guys!!  Great to have you!!  Carl, I'm going to find that one and read it.  I read his autobiography years back and loved it.  I wonder if the lady that helped him after he got shot down gave him an Opinel for his journey?

I don't know about that, but if I recall right from his book, Yeager, when he was shot down over France and he was making a run for the Spanish border, he was lugging a badly injured kid that was from a B17. The kids leg was shot up and hanging by just some tissue, so Yeager used what he called a "pen knife" to amputate what was left of the kids leg, then lugged him over the mountains into a Spain and a hospital.

From reading Years books, he calls any small pocket knife a "pen knife" as a generic term much like the term "Buck knife" in the 70's was any large lockblade. Like most of those old guys from the depression era, they seemed to just be happy with a "pen knife" in the pocket. Practical old timers who carried just what was needed and nothing more.

Edit to add; It's now the 5th day since Nix's exec got to me. Have to report that it's really growing on me, to the extent that I have not missed my classic or recruit or even my old Wenger SI at all. For the past 5 days, the executive has been the sole pocket knife on me, and it's been fine. The earth is still on it's axis, birds are still flying in the sky, and the sun is still rising in the east. It has cut everything I set out to cut with it, and the file took care of a broken nail, and the scissors cut some very think rubber sheet for a gasket in the outside hose nozzle.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:59:35 AM by cbl51 »

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: July 23, 2018, 01:04:58 PM
I've looked a few times through the thread of the first challenge and hoped to one day do the same... however I'll have to wait for the CYC3 as I don't have 30 executives/directors (directors count, don't they?) :D I've got a lot but I've used up a lot of them already this year...

And if I had enough I'd have to start late...

Oh well ^^ Count me in for the next round :P

And good luck for the challenge everyone!  :salute:

Enjoy this awesome piece of equipment!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24