Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 35652

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #690 on: August 12, 2018, 12:56:04 PM
Bit late with Day 11. More Orange peeler packaging action

Day 12 cutting up rags for shoe polishing duty :facepalm:
IMG_0775.jpg
* IMG_0775.jpg (Filesize: 191.18 KB)
IMG_0776.jpg
* IMG_0776.jpg (Filesize: 275.82 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #691 on: August 12, 2018, 01:30:31 PM
Bit late with Day 11. More Orange peeler packaging action

Day 12 cutting up rags for shoe polishing duty :facepalm:

Nice pics Bill! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the orange peeler and scissors! :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #692 on: August 12, 2018, 02:14:12 PM
Great job everyone  :cheers: the Executives are getting quite a workout  :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #693 on: August 12, 2018, 02:18:25 PM
Day 12

Getting a jump on the day, and did food prep for this evening's meal.
You might have to click on the pictures

20180812_083856-1.jpg
* 20180812_083856-1.jpg (Filesize: 122.62 KB)
20180812_085522-1-1.jpg
* 20180812_085522-1-1.jpg (Filesize: 158.24 KB)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:19:26 PM by Greg Jones »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #694 on: August 12, 2018, 02:53:16 PM
Outstanding job, Greg!  :like:

Fast Bill, yeah, I did develop some admiration for the little rascal.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #695 on: August 12, 2018, 03:10:43 PM
Chuck Yeager Challenge, Day 12 :

I picked up a small splinter in my palm yesterday doing a little work in the yard. I couldn't get it out last night, and this morning it was more irritated and swollen. I was able to use the tweezers and small blade to open it up a bit and remove the offending sliver of wood.

Looks worse in the photo than in real life, but I did cry a bit.  :cry:

....now that I think about it, I probably should have wiped the blade off with a little gin or something.  :facepalm:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #696 on: August 12, 2018, 03:24:10 PM
DAY 12

I used the orange peeler to open a pack of ear buds.

Click on picture for best picture
GEDC1443.JPG
* GEDC1443.JPG (Filesize: 280.51 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #697 on: August 12, 2018, 03:24:40 PM
Great job everyone  :cheers: the Executives are getting quite a workout  :tu:

Thanks Greg! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #698 on: August 12, 2018, 03:25:30 PM
Day 12

Getting a jump on the day, and did food prep for this evening's meal.
You might have to click on the pictures

Nice pics Greg! :like: :tu: :tu:

Great use of the blade! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #699 on: August 12, 2018, 03:29:04 PM

I picked up a small splinter in my palm yesterday doing a little work in the yard. I couldn't get it out last night, and this morning it was more irritated and swollen. I was able to use the tweezers and small blade to open it up a bit and remove the offending sliver of wood.

....now that I think about it, I probably should have wiped the blade off with a little gin or something.  :facepalm:

Nice pic Nix! (sorry about the wound)  :like: :tu: :tu:

Great use of the tweezers and small blade! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #700 on: August 12, 2018, 04:06:23 PM
The orange peeler is fun to use. It's probably an extraneous tool given the small and 'large' blades, but it sort of has it's own niche in the cutting world. Nice job, VICMAN.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #701 on: August 12, 2018, 04:10:51 PM

After minor surgery this morning, it was time to make some breakfast. We practically live off these flat breads in the summer, so this is a bit of a repeat shot from earlier in the challenge. It is very likely that yet another shot of opening flat breads will pop up again before the end of the challenge.  :D

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #702 on: August 12, 2018, 04:11:42 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, John Wayne would've just splashed some whiskey on it.  :D

I've lost count how many splinters I've pulled out with SAK tweezers. Sometimes I had to use a needle/pin to help ease it up to grasping level. I've even had to go up between our Corgi's paw pads to get a thorn out. SAK tweezers are a wonder of compact design that's just big enough.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #703 on: August 12, 2018, 04:13:35 PM
I've lost count how many splinters I've pulled out with SAK tweezers. Sometimes I had to use a needle/pin to help ease it up to grasping level. I've even had to go up between our Corgi's paw pads to get a thorn out. SAK tweezers are a wonder of compact design that's just big enough.

I always keep a set of tweezers with me. SAK or otherwise.    :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #704 on: August 12, 2018, 04:22:11 PM
If I don't have SAK scissors with me (rare), I usually have some of these 'pin point tweezers' with me. Often both.

They used to sell these little tweezers at military exchanges, but I've seen them on-line, too. The keeper slips easily onto a key chain. I used one as a zipper pull on a FAK once. (All my FAK's have a set of tweezers).

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #705 on: August 12, 2018, 04:51:08 PM
The orange peeler is fun to use. It's probably an extraneous tool given the small and 'large' blades, but it sort of has it's own niche in the cutting world. Nice job, VICMAN.  :tu:

Thanks Nix! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #706 on: August 12, 2018, 04:53:08 PM

After minor surgery this morning, it was time to make some breakfast. We practically live off these flat breads in the summer, so this is a bit of a repeat shot from earlier in the challenge. It is very likely that yet another shot of opening flat breads will pop up again before the end of the challenge.  :D

Nice pic Nix!  :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the blade! ( Any time food is involved it is a good use) :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #707 on: August 12, 2018, 04:54:37 PM
If I don't have SAK scissors with me (rare), I usually have some of these 'pin point tweezers' with me. Often both.

They used to sell these little tweezers at military exchanges, but I've seen them on-line, too. The keeper slips easily onto a key chain. I used one as a zipper pull on a FAK once. (All my FAK's have a set of tweezers).

Nice pic Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #708 on: August 12, 2018, 05:16:33 PM
Happy Chuck Yeager Challenge II Day 12!

My wife orders our vitamins from Swanson and this package came earlier in the week but sat around unopened.  I finally used my trusty Executive to open this latest vitamin supplement order...

CYC - 12 by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #709 on: August 12, 2018, 05:22:59 PM
Thoughts on the executive so far.

I've been carrying this little pocket knife since the 18th of July, when Nix so very generously gifted it to me. I have been stateless by it. This is the first time since I was kid with my very first pocket that I have carried only that one knife. I've always been a die hard obsessed knife nut, and in addition to the SAK of the day, I usually had a stockman, Barlow, or sodbuster, or what ever other knife of the month had caught my fancy. Even after I had got rid of all my other knives but SAK's, I still had a duo that I would carry, like the ever present classic on the keying plus my old war horse Wenger SI. Or a recruit, or tinker.

Now, for the first time since I was 12 years old, and except for vacations where I had to fly commercial someplace, I've been carrying just one knife. That little executive. I've cut with it, filed with it, screwed with it both flat and Phillips. It's sliced an occasion snack off something in the fridge, which because of the shortchanged blade my old classic couldn't do.

In the 26 days I've been carrying the executive, I have not felt under equipped nor have a been caught short by lack of an adequate tool. It's zipped open my mail with ease, felt with a few small Phillips screws, trimmed a few stray beard hairs. But most of all, it's proven itself to be a very VERY capable ev very day pocket knife to deal with the stuff people used a small pocket for before the EDC craze hit and everyone became obsessed with carrying enough weapons and tools to either fight off invading storm tropes or build the Bridge On The River Kwai.

This is proving that maybe General Yeager is one very smart cookie!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #710 on: August 12, 2018, 07:32:57 PM
Powernoodle Day 12

Powernoodle Gorilla Power Sky Slam.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #711 on: August 12, 2018, 07:58:53 PM
Nothin' but net.   :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #712 on: August 12, 2018, 08:10:22 PM

I've been carrying this little pocket knife since the 18th of July, when Nix so very generously gifted it to me. I have been stateless by it. This is the first time since I was kid with my very first pocket that I have carried only that one knife. I've always been a die hard obsessed knife nut, and in addition to the SAK of the day, I usually had a stockman, Barlow, or sodbuster, or what ever other knife of the month had caught my fancy. Even after I had got rid of all my other knives but SAK's, I still had a duo that I would carry, like the ever present classic on the keying plus my old war horse Wenger SI. Or a recruit, or tinker.

Now, for the first time since I was 12 years old, and except for vacations where I had to fly commercial someplace, I've been carrying just one knife. That little executive. I've cut with it, filed with it, screwed with it both flat and Phillips. It's sliced an occasion snack off something in the fridge, which because of the shortchanged blade my old classic couldn't do.

In the 26 days I've been carrying the executive, I have not felt under equipped nor have a been caught short by lack of an adequate tool. It's zipped open my mail with ease, felt with a few small Phillips screws, trimmed a few stray beard hairs. But most of all, it's proven itself to be a very VERY capable ev very day pocket knife to deal with the stuff people used a small pocket for before the EDC craze hit and everyone became obsessed with carrying enough weapons and tools to either fight off invading storm tropes or build the Bridge On The River Kwai.

I agree with you, Carl.

This Executive has been my sole carry for the past 13 days now (I got started a day early  :D.). It has done everything I've needed a pocket knife to do, and maybe a bit more. The tool set and the size make it an eminently practical pocket knife, in my opinion.

Is it the perfect knife for every task? Of course not, but for EDC purposes, I find it hard to beat.

And as a backpacking knife, I think this is a far better choice than the Classic. I know the Classic has plenty of fans in "Ultra Light" backpacking circles, but this gem makes more sense. The other choice I'd consider would be the slimmer Ambassador (T&T, 74mm blade, 74mm scissors, and nail tool). Only slightly less versatile than the Executive, but a bit thinner & lighter.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #713 on: August 12, 2018, 08:17:14 PM
Happy Chuck Yeager Challenge II Day 12!

My wife orders our vitamins from Swanson and this package came earlier in the week but sat around unopened.  I finally used my trusty Executive to open this latest vitamin supplement order...

Nice pic Jim! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the Executive! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #714 on: August 12, 2018, 08:20:52 PM

I've been carrying this little pocket knife since the 18th of July, when Nix so very generously gifted it to me. 

In the 26 days I've been carrying the executive, I have not felt under equipped nor have a been caught short by lack of an adequate tool. It's zipped open my mail with ease, felt with a few small Phillips screws, trimmed a few stray beard hairs. But most of all, it's proven itself to be a very VERY capable ev very day pocket knife

Sounds like you have found a new edc cbl51! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #715 on: August 12, 2018, 08:22:15 PM
Powernoodle Day 12

Cool pic powernoodle! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #716 on: August 12, 2018, 08:34:25 PM
Chuck Yeager Challenge, Day 12 (continued):

More yard work today (and for a few days to come).

The Executive got pressed into service opening packages of burlap (to tie around the root balls of shrubs), clip twine, and open mulch.

Looks a little out of place, but it got the job done.  :tu:

When it came to cutting the burlap into usable sections, the short blade did work...with some patience. I was cutting 4-5 'threads' at a time, and then moving on to the next small section. It was going to take me all day to do it that way, so I switched to a big pair of shears and got the sections cut up in no time.

Still, proof of concept was there and the edge held up nicely.

After a little stropping, the edge was back to shaving sharp.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #717 on: August 12, 2018, 08:59:04 PM
Chuck Yeager Challenge, Day 12 (continued):

More yard work today (and for a few days to come).

The Executive got pressed into service opening packages of burlap (to tie around the root balls of shrubs), clip twine, and open mulch.

Looks a little out of place, but it got the job done.  :tu:

When it came to cutting the burlap into usable sections, the short blade did work...with some patience. I was cutting 4-5 'threads' at a time, and then moving on to the next small section. It was going to take me all day to do it that way, so I switched to a big pair of shears and got the sections cut up in no time.

Still, proof of concept was there and the edge held up nicely.

After a little stropping, the edge was back to shaving sharp.

Great pics Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the Executive! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #718 on: August 12, 2018, 09:42:23 PM
Thanks, VICMAN!   :cheers:

it Offline Mini

Reply #719 on: August 12, 2018, 09:44:41 PM
Day 12

Cut some paracord (probably fake, from AliExpress) with the blade. I tried first with scissor but it failed, probably because need to be sharpened.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD