Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 35418

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #840 on: August 16, 2018, 12:11:45 AM
Chuck Yeager Challenge, Day 15 :

Big day for the little knife. There was a lot of opening bags of compost, cutting burlap, and cutting twine while several plants got re-planted. The little knife did well. There were a few times in cutting big knots of burlap that I wished I had a big ol' Buck 110. But, with a little patience, the Executive got the job done.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #841 on: August 16, 2018, 12:29:59 AM
Since nobody complained about my adding a poll, I did so.

Just select the answer that most closely matches your assessment at this point.  I did leave the poll open so that votes can be changed as we progress through the challenge.  The poll will close two days after the challenge ends.

:cheers:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #842 on: August 16, 2018, 12:56:57 AM
I voted that this knife is going to become of my edc. Before this my daily duo was the classic on keyring and Wenger SI in watch pocket. Now I think the classic may be retired and my now daily duo is going to be the executive on keyring and Wenger SI in watch pocket. This experience has convinced me that I have been missbingouyt on a good thing, and I intend to remedy that. The executive is my new edc keyring knife. Yeah, it cost more than a classic, but has sooo much more capability with just a small percent of increase in bulk.

God save General Yeager! :cheers:
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #843 on: August 16, 2018, 12:57:39 AM
 :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #844 on: August 16, 2018, 02:29:47 AM
It's great when multiple occasions combine to honor the same SAK (CYC & Two Layer Tuesday).

I took the opportunity to honor the Executive in my Two Layer Tuesday post:

Happy Two Layer Tuesday!  Today, it's all about the Executive!

My EDC...

Nice collection of Executives Jim! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #845 on: August 16, 2018, 02:31:30 AM
The granddaughter is with us for her two week summer visit. She loves going to the range and shooting a .22 rifle. The screw driver tip on the orange peeler is just the right size for the windage adjustment screw on a Williams foolproof peep sight.

The blade has been used for opening snacks for her while out and about. It seems like everything these days in some kind of impenetrable plastic that needs a sharp knife to get through. If all knives were confiscated, people would starve to death!!!

Thank God for little SAK's.

Good use of the screwdriver and blade cbl! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #846 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:07 AM
Day 15

Preparing lunch today

Cool pic Mini! :like:  :tu: :tu:

Good use of the Executive! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #847 on: August 16, 2018, 02:36:14 AM
Chuck Yeager Challenge, Day 15 :

Big day for the little knife. There was a lot of opening bags of compost, cutting burlap, and cutting twine while several plants got re-planted. The little knife did well. There were a few times in cutting big knots of burlap that I wished I had a big ol' Buck 110. But, with a little patience, the Executive got the job done.  :tu:

Nice pic Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good test for the Executive! :cheers:

us Offline getahl

Reply #848 on: August 16, 2018, 04:35:22 AM
So far, the Executive has been a fine carry knife, even if it is just the scissors for nose hair duty, and the toothpick for toothpick junk. It's small enough to not raise an eyebrow at work, blade is large enough for my purposes, and my paring knife handles the rest. Also used the nail file tip as a small screwdriver to put batteries in my son's RC car and remote, and the peeler tip to drive a couple screws in a tight place on my desk. So far, so good. 16 days to go.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #849 on: August 16, 2018, 04:51:59 AM
This little executive has caused a sea change in my thinking.

For the past twenty years or so, the classic and Wenger SI has been my go-to combo for edc. The classic handled all the lightweight stuff and scissors jobs while the old Wenger was my standby for full size screw drivers and bigger blade.

Things change and I think my feelings have changed. The executive has taken over the duties of the classic, as well as some of the Wenger's. The longer blade of the executive has cut sandwiches in half, sliced Italian sausage, and split brownies in half to share with my better half because as senior citizens we watch our calories and sugar intake. With a Victorinox quarto and my old P-38 in my wallet, I find the need for the Wenger SI has diminished.

I was always a two knife man, and in my younger knife Knut days often a three knife man. But since I started this challenge with Nix's gifted executive, I've been walking around every day with just that one knife in a pocket. The one time I needed a real screw driver, the little keychain Victorinox quarto did just fine once I got it out of my wallet. It dealt with a rusty Phillips screw that was really stiff and I didn't want to twist a lot on the executive. The quarto is one solid piece of steel with very nice cut flat and Phillips screw driver blades. It's a quality Victorinox product to augment a small SAK.

The executive has cut everything I had to cut, opened mail, UPS packages, all the accursed plastic blister packages, Saran Wrap, and two French baguettes with no problem.

I am flabbergasted that Ihavenot missed any other knife. At this stage of my life I am facing the fact t that I just may have finally become the one knife man my father was with his little Case peanut. The executive with the two little keychain tools in my wallet has been up to all I have run into. Even with the last two weeks of having our 9 year old granddaughter Here for fishing, bicycling, shooting, picnicking, arts projects, and even handling a chain dropping off the front small sprocket. the tip of the nail file reached in and picked up the chain and slipped it back on the sprocket and the small screw driver tip of the orange peeler adjusted the front derailer mechanism. No handling of the chain and getting greasy fingers!

Love this knife, and I am having a hard time kicking myself for ignoring for soooo long!!!!!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #850 on: August 16, 2018, 05:31:22 AM

Things change and I think my feelings have changed. The executive has taken over the duties of the classic, as well as some of the Wenger's. With a Victorinox quarto and my old P-38 in my wallet, I find the need for the Wenger SI has diminished.

I am flabbergasted that Ihavenot missed any other knife. At this stage of my life I am facing the fact t that I just may have finally become the one knife man my father was with his little Case peanut. The executive with the two little keychain tools in my wallet has been up to all I have run into.

Love this knife, and I am having a hard time kicking myself for ignoring for soooo long!!!!!

:like: :tu: :tu: :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #851 on: August 16, 2018, 11:10:54 AM
My Executive helped me fix dinner last night, cutting a loaf of French bread to make Garlic bread and slicing tomatoes for a salad.

Cool! That and Mini's plate would be perfect toghether!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #852 on: August 16, 2018, 11:12:04 AM
Day 15

Preparing lunch today (Image removed from quote.)

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Barry's salad with complement that perfectly!

:drool: :drool:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #853 on: August 16, 2018, 11:13:28 AM
I voted that this knife is going to become of my edc. Before this my daily duo was the classic on keyring and Wenger SI in watch pocket. Now I think the classic may be retired and my now daily duo is going to be the executive on keyring and Wenger SI in watch pocket. This experience has convinced me that I have been missbingouyt on a good thing, and I intend to remedy that. The executive is my new edc keyring knife. Yeah, it cost more than a classic, but has sooo much more capability with just a small percent of increase in bulk.

God save General Yeager! :cheers:

General Yeager!

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #854 on: August 16, 2018, 11:17:07 AM
I've put mine to work a lot as well.  It's done wonderful work in the little day to day tasks that get overlooked.  On top of that, it's been a real wonder in the kitchen!  I really haven't needed anything else!
1534411119504360849867.jpg
* 1534411119504360849867.jpg (Filesize: 219.65 KB)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:21:05 AM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #855 on: August 16, 2018, 11:25:47 AM

For the past twenty years or so, the classic and Wenger SI has been my go-to combo for edc. The classic handled all the lightweight stuff and scissors jobs while the old Wenger was my standby for full size screw drivers and bigger blade.

Things change and I think my feelings have changed. The executive has taken over the duties of the classic, as well as some of the Wenger's. The longer blade of the executive has cut sandwiches in half, sliced Italian sausage, and split brownies in half to share with my better half because as senior citizens we watch our calories and sugar intake. With a Victorinox quarto and my old P-38 in my wallet, I find the need for the Wenger SI has diminished.

I was always a two knife man, and in my younger knife Knut days often a three knife man. But since I started this challenge with Nix's gifted executive, I've been walking around every day with just that one knife in a pocket. The one time I needed a real screw driver, the little keychain Victorinox quarto did just fine once I got it out of my wallet. It dealt with a rusty Phillips screw that was really stiff and I didn't want to twist a lot on the executive. The quarto is one solid piece of steel with very nice cut flat and Phillips screw driver blades. It's a quality Victorinox product to augment a small SAK.

The executive has cut everything I had to cut, opened mail, UPS packages, all the accursed plastic blister packages, Saran Wrap, and two French baguettes with no problem.

I am flabbergasted that Ihavenot missed any other knife. At this stage of my life I am facing the fact t that I just may have finally become the one knife man my father was with his little Case peanut. The executive with the two little keychain tools in my wallet has been up to all I have run into. Even with the last two weeks of having our 9 year old granddaughter Here for fishing, bicycling, shooting, picnicking, arts projects, and even handling a chain dropping off the front small sprocket. the tip of the nail file reached in and picked up the chain and slipped it back on the sprocket and the small screw driver tip of the orange peeler adjusted the front derailer mechanism. No handling of the chain and getting greasy fingers!

That's (one of the many reasons) why I like you, Carl! Despite being an old fart a more mature and experienced gentleman, prone to be set in your ways and averse to changing them, like so many people (even younger and "restlesser"), you're not affraid to try new things and, when justified, change your habits of decades.

Thank you for your example, hope others can learn from you, as I do!

:hatsoff: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #856 on: August 16, 2018, 11:27:37 AM
Still haven't used my Director today. Maybe I get lucky and my lunch is something hard and difficult to cut with a regular restaurant knife...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #857 on: August 16, 2018, 12:02:31 PM
I voted likely to carry more often, but could easily become EDC, I just have to get over my love of the 2 opener layer, that's the only thing I've missed so far, especially at work  :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #858 on: August 16, 2018, 12:05:02 PM
Day 16

Used the small screwdriver to push the tabs in on a couple of ant traps  :tu:
20180816_063250-1.jpg
* 20180816_063250-1.jpg (Filesize: 149.82 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #859 on: August 16, 2018, 12:07:52 PM
Day 16

You should be careful...

:pok: :pok:

Show content
You can be acused of anttrapment...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #860 on: August 16, 2018, 12:19:03 PM
Powernoodle Day 16

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #861 on: August 16, 2018, 12:35:41 PM
I've put mine to work a lot as well.  It's done wonderful work in the little day to day tasks that get overlooked.  On top of that, it's been a real wonder in the kitchen!  I really haven't needed anything else!

Nice pic Barry! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #862 on: August 16, 2018, 12:37:23 PM
Day 16

Nice pic Greg! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the screwdriver! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #863 on: August 16, 2018, 12:38:13 PM
Powernoodle Day 16

Nice pic powernoodle! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #864 on: August 16, 2018, 01:12:21 PM
DAY 16

I used the scissors to cut some strips of duct tape for a sign I put on my mail box.

Click on picture for best picture.
GEDC1453.JPG
* GEDC1453.JPG (Filesize: 188.82 KB)

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #865 on: August 16, 2018, 02:41:34 PM

That's (one of the many reasons) why I like you, Carl! Despite being an old fart a more mature and experienced gentleman, prone to be set in your ways and averse to changing them, like so many people (even younger and "restlesser"), you're not affraid to try new things and, when justified, change your habits of decades.

Thank you!!

It's been a long hard road, and they say that withal comes wisdom. Well, I've been hanging mourned this rick long enough to become an old fart, and even with my too often hard head, I've learned a few things. Probably just by chance. In my 'younger' days, I often had bad results from being too thick skulled and stubborn. I've learned from enough bad experiences that I don't want a repeat of. Not a good way to learn.Often painful and/or expensive. Kind of like getting burned touching a hot stove; it's painful and you don't want to repeat the experience.

This "older" person has got painful lessons enough that I learned a few things along the way.

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #866 on: August 16, 2018, 03:37:24 PM
So much fun to wake up and read all the new entries in this thread!  Way to go guys!  :like:  :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #867 on: August 16, 2018, 04:00:06 PM

Thank you!!

It's been a long hard road, and they say that withal comes wisdom. Well, I've been hanging mourned this rick long enough to become an old fart, and even with my too often hard head, I've learned a few things. Probably just by chance. In my 'younger' days, I often had bad results from being too thick skulled and stubborn. I've learned from enough bad experiences that I don't want a repeat of. Not a good way to learn.Often painful and/or expensive. Kind of like getting burned touching a hot stove; it's painful and you don't want to repeat the experience.

This "older" person has got painful lessons enough that I learned a few things along the way.

I try to learn from experience, whenever I can. When facing a new situation, I like to think I can use that experience to overcome any challenge.

8) 8)

Show content
The problem is that, most of the time, I have a Richard Waterson approach of things...

:-\ :-\
Show content

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #868 on: August 16, 2018, 04:29:18 PM
Happy Chuck Yeager Challenge II Day 16!

More package opening tasks (pictured envelop is just one of many)...

CYC - 16 by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #869 on: August 16, 2018, 04:43:00 PM
Happy Chuck Yeager Challenge II Day 16!

More package opening tasks (pictured envelop is just one of many)...

CYC - 16 by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

Any more SAKs inside?...

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD