Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 34384

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #870 on: August 16, 2018, 06:14:42 PM
So much fun to wake up and read all the new entries in this thread!  Way to go guys!  :like:  :cheers:

Thanks FB! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #871 on: August 16, 2018, 06:15:57 PM
Happy Chuck Yeager Challenge II Day 16!

More package opening tasks (pictured envelop is just one of many)...

Nice pic Jim! :like: :tu: :tu:

Great use of the scissors! :cheers:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #872 on: August 16, 2018, 08:11:22 PM
I have some thoughts about the poll.  I find it curious that there are 9 choices and yet none of them apply to me.  My thoughts turn to the purpose of a poll. Typically, polls are devised to sample people's opinions.  So, since I like the Executive, it would be nice to know if others like it.  At its most basic:

1. I'm a fan.
2. I'm not a fan.

Throw in some hyperbole ("Holy Grail"), assumptions such as "My new EDC" or start carrying it more often (hard to do when one is already carrying it each day) and you've missed my opinion (I'm a fan).

Just my $.02.

:climber:

Jim

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #873 on: August 16, 2018, 08:20:24 PM
I'm definitely not a professional pollster.   :rofl:

I wanted to offer a broader range of options than just a thumbs up or a thumbs down to give a range of thumbs, up and down.

It might have been a good idea to include a simpler "I like it" option. But, the idea here was to give a range of options, pro and con. I'll never be able to capture everyone's specific thoughts about the Executive with a poll; I don't think I captured my own exact thoughts.  :D  But that's why there was the suggestion to "chose the best answer" and not "the perfect answer".

Hyperbole? I'm a fan.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #874 on: August 16, 2018, 08:22:50 PM
Interestingly, we've only seen one slightly negative answer to the poll, so I'm assuming that after two weeks, most people like it.

See? Here I'm using raw data to make gross conclusions.  Maybe I could be a pollster........... :rofl:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #875 on: August 16, 2018, 08:39:45 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the choices other than that one more choice could be added:

"It was already my EDC and will continue to be."

I think it is interesting to find out where the participants fall within the given choices. :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #876 on: August 16, 2018, 08:45:37 PM
I was thinking that at the end of challenge I would edit the poll. I think doing that would reset the voting, or at least, everyone could check their vote and change it.

I was thinking of doing a straight 10 to 1 scale with 10 being most positive and 1 being most negative.  Or.....we could do a scale of one or two thumbs up (or down). Not as much range there, but might be interesting.

I did like seeing that a number of people would consider using the Executive as an EDC!   :tu:

it Offline Mini

Reply #877 on: August 16, 2018, 08:53:35 PM
Day 16

Free this new friend with the blade .

Also, today I wasn't able to open a bottle using the Executive. I missed the cap lifter that is present on the vic manager or bigger sak.
In the morning I had though that a bottle opener can be useful during the day, because I was going to eat something with my family. I tried to use the Executive but I couldn't put the file or orange peeler under the cap.
So we used a traditional cap lifter.
For this kinds of events, generally I carry a waiter or more, but I don't wanted to carry other knife or tools with me.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

it Offline Mini

Reply #878 on: August 16, 2018, 08:54:35 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the choices other than that one more choice could be added:

I think it is interesting to find out where the participants fall within the given choices. :cheers:
It  should be the perfect answer for me :)

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #879 on: August 16, 2018, 09:09:02 PM
Day 16

Free this new friend with the blade .

Nice pic Mini! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the blade! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #880 on: August 16, 2018, 09:09:56 PM

It  should be the perfect answer for me :)

:cheers: :cheers:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #881 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:10 PM
Day 16

Another great days reading everyone. Which is more than can be said of my post. But thank you Ambassador all the same !

I think the poll is fun offers a good number of options but ... call me Awlkward but it's not quite got my preferred answer so I'll compromise
IMG_0782.jpg
* IMG_0782.jpg (Filesize: 144.43 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #882 on: August 16, 2018, 09:33:41 PM
Day XVI
 :salute:
IMG_20180816_123129.jpg
* IMG_20180816_123129.jpg (Filesize: 216.1 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #883 on: August 16, 2018, 10:05:32 PM
Day 16

Another great days reading everyone. Which is more than can be said of my post. But thank you Ambassador all the same !

I think the poll is fun offers a good number of options but ... call me Awlkward but it's not quite got my preferred answer so I'll compromise

Nice pic Bill! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #884 on: August 16, 2018, 10:09:04 PM

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #885 on: August 16, 2018, 10:44:58 PM
Day 16

Nice pic Bill! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thank you Vm  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #886 on: August 17, 2018, 12:28:18 AM
I'm having a cold so I haven't been outside much other sniveling around with my dog. We've been cutting some random stuff but no picture I'm afraid. I can't find the poll!

- stoneshank

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #887 on: August 17, 2018, 12:39:34 AM
Chuck Yeager Challenge, Day 16 :

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it was more work in the garden. I'm exhausted, but the might Executive kept on cutting. Used the small blade to cut burlap wrapping off (tough work for any knife, clip twine, open plastic sacks of compost, and open plastic sacks of mulch.

I'm hoping to develop a new theme in a couple of days.  :tu:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #888 on: August 17, 2018, 12:48:11 AM
For those who might be interested in why a fellow Swiss Army Knight chooses a certain SAK over another...

I am definitely a fan of the Executive!  But then again, I am a fan of most of my Swiss Army Knives!  The common denominator is the function that Victorinox (don't have any Wenger SAKs) packs in each of its offerings.

The key advantage I see in the Executive is its size and weight while still providing my most used functions.  Since retiring in 2015, I have said goodbye to dress shirts and ties and wear gym shorts around the house in the warmer months and warm-ups in the colder months.  The Executive fits comfortably inside the pockets of my gym shorts so much so that I forget that it's there until I need it.  Since most of my SAK needs can be met with a blade and scissors, the Executive is a great fit for me.

With multiple storage drawers of SAKs available for me to use, it is always a matter of best fit in choosing one to carry.  I thought of best fit when I read Mini's post today about having to resort to a dedicated bottle opener because her technique using the Executive to open bottles did not work today.  For her needs today, perhaps the Cadet would have been a better fit (still small at 84mm and similar in weight to the Executive) with an excellent cap lifter/bottle opener.

To summarize, I have quite a variety of Swiss Army Knives and like them all.  My choice in the past has usually been driven by the occasion (Two Layer Tuesday, Three Layer Thursday, Four Layer Friday, Swiss Champ Sunday, etc.).  Many times, it meant carrying an extra SAK along with my first choice.  These days, it has been best fit (currently the Executive).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:49:58 AM by NorCalJim »

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #889 on: August 17, 2018, 12:53:16 AM

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it was more work in the garden. I'm exhausted, but the might Executive kept on cutting. Used the small blade to cut burlap wrapping off (tough work for any knife, clip twine, open plastic sacks of compost, and open plastic sacks of mulch.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm hoping to develop a new theme in a couple of days.  :tu:

No need to be sorry Nix, a SAK is all about the tasks at hand, and your Executive is living up to that  :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #890 on: August 17, 2018, 12:56:01 AM
For those who might be interested in why a fellow Swiss Army Knight chooses a certain SAK over another...

I am definitely a fan of the Executive!  But then again, I am a fan of most of my Swiss Army Knives!  The common denominator is the function that Victorinox (don't have any Wenger SAKs) packs in each of its offerings.

The key advantage I see in the Executive is its size and weight while still providing my most used functions.  Since retiring in 2015, I have said goodbye to dress shirts and ties and wear gym shorts around the house in the warmer months and warm-ups in the colder months.  The Executive fits comfortably inside the pockets of my gym shorts so much so that I forget that it's there until I need it.  Since most of my SAK needs can be met with a blade and scissors, the Executive is a great fit for me.

With multiple storage drawers of SAKs available for me to use, it is always a matter of best fit in choosing one to carry.  I thought of best fit when I read Mini's post today about having to resort to a dedicated bottle opener because her technique using the Executive to open bottles did not work today.  For her needs today, perhaps the Cadet would have been a better fit (still small at 84mm and similar in weight to the Executive) with an excellent cap lifter/bottle opener.

To summarize, I have quite a variety of Swiss Army Knives and like them all.  My choice in the past has usually been driven by the occasion (Two Layer Tuesday, Three Layer Thursday, Four Layer Friday, Swiss Champ Sunday, etc.).  Many times, it meant carrying an extra SAK along with my first choice.  These days, it has been best fit (currently the Executive).

Well said  :salute:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #891 on: August 17, 2018, 12:57:38 AM
Day 16

Used the small screwdriver to push the tabs in on a couple of ant traps  :tu:

You should be careful...

:pok: :pok:

Show content
You can be acused of anttrapment...

:whistle:

:ahhh

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #892 on: August 17, 2018, 01:01:09 AM
Just want to say great job everyone  :tu:  :cheers:

us Offline getahl

Reply #893 on: August 17, 2018, 01:57:19 AM
I chose the Will carry when appropriate option on the poll. It's  a good SAK, but I strangely find myself missing my Classic.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #894 on: August 17, 2018, 02:56:14 AM

Nice pic Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

Good use of the small blade! :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #895 on: August 17, 2018, 02:58:10 AM
 :cheers:. Thanks Greg!
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #896 on: August 17, 2018, 03:00:36 AM

I am definitely a fan of the Executive! 

The key advantage I see in the Executive is its size and weight while still providing my most used functions.  Since most of my SAK needs can be met with a blade and scissors, the Executive is a great fit for me.

Nicely put Jim! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #897 on: August 17, 2018, 03:01:25 AM
Just want to say great job everyone  :tu:  :cheers:

Thanks Greg! :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #898 on: August 17, 2018, 11:56:58 AM
Waiting to see what the day brings!
IMG_20180816_094027.jpg
* IMG_20180816_094027.jpg (Filesize: 165.14 KB)
Barry

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #899 on: August 17, 2018, 11:58:38 AM
Powernoodle Day 17

The best use of the Executive is to open a new Executive.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%