Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Broken Wave

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Broken Wave
on: July 15, 2018, 11:25:15 AM
Meh i just noticed that i have broked my waves handle, luckily its not side with engraves and now i need to find replace for it, well it has been in my usage many years and i expected that it might someday break but not like this way.

Only Tools Matters

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Broken Wave
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 11:29:49 AM
Heres bit better picture of crack

Only Tools Matters

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 12:35:00 PM
sorry to hear that,  :P
fortunately LM warranty is superb and maybe they can change it for an updated Wave Plus?  :think:

Also, may I ask how did you break it? That kind of fracture looks like someone applied too much force in the handles (making them approach and get close to each other) or tried to twist the handles with the plier head holding a huge nut  ???

I hope you get it sorted out quickly, and I know you have a few backup tools for the meantime  :D :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:56 PM
sorry to hear that, 
fortunately LM warranty is superb and maybe they can change it for an updated Wave Plus?  :think:

Also, may I ask how did you break it? That kind of fracture looks like someone applied too much force in the handles (making them approach and get close to each other) or tried to twist the handles with the plier head holding a huge nut  ???

I hope you get it sorted out quickly, and I know you have a few backup tools for the meantime  :D :tu:
I know they have superb warranty but i dont think this one gonna go throught warranty cause i have opened it wrong, replaced tools in it and theres engraving on other handle so its bit sentimental value to me.
 Im just gonna put it to my drawer to wait until i get new handle to it. I know i have used my wave maybe hundreds time way too wrong.

Im not sure how it did go break after all i bet i just used it wrong too many times. I have done all those things you mentioned and more

Only Tools Matters

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 02:18:49 PM
sorry to hear that, 

I know they have superb warranty but i dont think this one gonna go throught warranty cause i have opened it wrong, replaced tools in it and theres engraving on other handle so its bit sentimental value to me.
 Im just gonna put it to my drawer to wait until i get new handle to it. I know i have used my wave maybe hundreds time way too wrong.

Im not sure how it did go break after all i bet i just used it wrong too many times. I have done all those things you mentioned and more

Only Tools Matters

I don't think so. It's by far the weakest part of the 2004 redesign - a small piece of stock that's already been bent located next to the main pivot...  :think:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 02:22:21 PM
This actually happens more often then your think.. I am trying to suggest that this same thing happened to b_martin's wave but it doesn't seems to be the case for him. Its a weak point for this kind of design.. Same for wave/surge/mut/wingman.

I have personally seen it on a Surge, wave(very often) and mut. I would suggest u send it in for repair and mark it as sentimental so Leatherman will just change the damaged handle. Or you can try evil bay. The handles pops up quite frequently.

Any hard squeezing will break the other side also..

I would like to think that this could be a manufacturing defect, further stressing caused it to break apart..

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 02:25:16 PM
That's too bad   :(

You could try loki and see if he has handles or contact this guy on Ebay. He sells Wave parts so he might have handles as well.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kyiba777?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 03:43:20 PM
Yea i need to ask both of them. Luckily i can still use it but gotta bit watch how to use it now. While my Wave is only backup i can still use my ST and Surge

Only tools matters

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 04:35:05 PM
Sorry to see this on a long used tool Antti :salute: Hope you can get that sorted out with a handle swap and still keep the sentimentality intact :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 07:02:01 PM
The martin thread, where you posted about this, was the first time I have encountered that issue online. And I've read a lot about Waves.  :think:

The only tool I have ever seen that happen to is a Bear Jaws MT. And that happened after I did some serious grinding work to the handles. :ahhh

Sam,
Are you sure this is something that happens "very often" to the Wave? Because, it doesn't even seem to be a rare occurrence. This is the first I've encountered seeing this issue.  :think:
Maybe in the modding community this happens sometimes,  because of changing plier heads and stuff?

The most common breakage of the Wave is the plier jaws. People twist them hard and they snap at the pivot.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 07:35:33 PM
The martin thread, where you posted about this, was the first time I have encountered that issue online. And I've read a lot about Waves.  :think:

The only tool I have ever seen that happen to is a Bear Jaws MT. And that happened after I did some serious grinding work to the handles. :ahhh

Sam,
Are you sure this is something that happens "very often" to the Wave? Because, it doesn't even seem to be a rare occurrence. This is the first I've encountered seeing this issue.  :think:
Maybe in the modding community this happens sometimes,  because of changing plier heads and stuff?

The most common breakage of the Wave is the plier jaws. People twist them hard and they snap at the pivot.

Many waves had gone through my hands.. Dun ask me why..  :facepalm:

Yes. I have seen many of this kind of cracks. Many as in around 5 or 6 out of 30 to 40 pieces for the past 1 year. Most go unnoticed as the crack is hidden under the blades. I do believe there are many more out there that people are using but didn't realise that there's a crack. They will just think that its just a bit looser on that handle.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:42:30 PM by Sam Lim »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 07:43:28 PM
Thank you for the info, Sam!
I have one Wave that I used a punch and hammer on to dent the frame back where the handle pressure was even. I should probably look at it more closely.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 08:09:26 PM
 :salute: idk, I kind of think that it's a fault during the manufacturing process.. I am not too sure how they fabricate the handles but I think when the sheets are folded, a minute crackline could have formed. So after tempering and users usage, the crackline finally gave way. Of course, these are just my theory... I can't see how a crack could have formed under normal use..

I did broke a few though.. *ahem.. Under not so normal circumstances... Entirely my fault..  :facepalm:

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 08:34:12 PM
I may now know how i broked my handle. I used handle to give more torque on bitdrive (like in pic). Its my own fault that handle broked down it cannot withstand such torques.

Only Tools Matters

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 08:47:03 PM
I do believe there are many more out there that people are using but didn't realise that there's a crack. They will just think that its just a bit looser on that handle.

most likely, happens too often with these type of issues  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 02:45:12 PM
Finally got my part to repair my wave, i change parts and its like new. Carrying Wave feels bit odd cause my tools during this time were heavy like Surge and SuperTool but still i love Wave for edc cause its small and has tools i need

Only Tools Matters

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 02:49:41 PM
Excellent job Antti  :cheers: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 02:52:57 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 03:15:24 PM
Nicely done !   :like:

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 08:36:46 PM
All thanks goes to Loki who had parts what i needed

Only tools matters

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 01:28:10 AM
Glad to see you got it repaired  :tu: great job :like: :like:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 01:41:22 AM
How did you remove the security "pins" in the screw heads?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 12:02:45 PM
He may have just went ahead and ordered the security bits from loki when he received the parts, unless he already had a set :cheers:

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 12:33:13 PM
How did you remove the security "pins" in the screw heads?
Actually i removed pins on screws few years ago when i received my wave to tighten screws cause i didnt know there were easy tools for it. I just used bit force with screwdriver and hammer to remove pins.

Only Tools Matters

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 12:34:22 PM
I should order new screws to it, i now have set where is security torxs

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!