Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What was your first car?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: What was your first car?
Reply #60 on: August 18, 2018, 08:22:16 PM
Mine was a 85 Chevy s-10, and our sons is the same thing but a 00,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #61 on: August 18, 2018, 09:19:20 PM
I got my drivers licence in 2002 and the first years I drove in one of my parents cars, a 1988 Peugeot 405.

The first car I bought for myself was in 2008. It was this 1995 Chrysler Neon (in the US it was sold as a Dodge Neon and as a Plymouth Neon):

Even though I liked the car because it was very unusual here in the Netherlands I sold it after about half a year because it didn't have AC and cruise control, which I really wanted because I used the car for long distances. The replacement was again a Chrysler Neon, a 2001 model this time with AC and cruise control:

I have had this 2001 Chrysler Neon for six years and drove 100.000 km (60.000 miles) with it. It never let me down and never had any unusual repairs. It was a very reliable and cheap car to own. While in the US this model is as common as a VW Golf is in Europe, the Neon was a very uncommon car over here in the Netherlands. Which was exactly why I wanted it.

In 2013 I couldn't resist buying this Volvo S70. I use it mainly for sundays and vacation. It is very comfortable for long trips to for example Sweden and Norway. I want to keep this car for a long time and therefore don't want it to be used daily. Since I own it, I have driven about 45.000 km (28.000 miles) with it.

In 2014 we sold the Chrysler Neon and replaced it with a Volvo V70 for the everyday use (in the middle of the picture).

We've had the V70 for about 100.000 km (60.000 miles). Even though it was very comfortable and -as a station wagon- very useful, it was very problematic. In the last 1-2 years we had it, it let us down many times and cost us a lot of money in all kinds of repairs. We should have got rid of it way earlier than we did. In early 2018 we finally called it a day and replaced the V70 with this Volvo 850:

So far so good, and a lot of parts from the V70 also fit on the 850. Since the darn V70 already has so many new parts we kept it as a donor for the 850 :D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #62 on: August 18, 2018, 09:29:46 PM
First car: 1994 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 Conv.

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

So not a bad choice for a first car.

A very nice First car indeed! :tu:

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #63 on: August 18, 2018, 09:42:49 PM
JR

Nice father > son tradition! :cheers:

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #64 on: August 19, 2018, 12:59:47 AM
JR

I tried, he wants to trade it for a foreign, then mustang, but now it’s a Jeep, hey I got no beef with the Jeep! I’m sure I’d be helping raise it :whistle:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #65 on: August 19, 2018, 01:31:12 AM
JR

I tried, he wants to trade it for a foreign, then mustang, but now it’s a Jeep, hey I got no beef with the Jeep! I’m sure I’d be helping raise it :whistle:
JR

I'd love an S-10 :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #66 on: August 19, 2018, 02:28:00 AM
JR

JR

I'd love an S-10 :tu:

My fourth vehicle was an S-10.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline italophil

Reply #67 on: August 19, 2018, 02:40:57 AM
1990 Fiat Uno Turbo.
It had a crazy turbo lag, a rear axel that felt wobbly and just not made for going fast, and it didn't have any modern safety features like ABS or Airbags. But, it was fun to drive and could go close to 120mph on the Autobahn.

A moving truck backed into it; I still miss it.  :(

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: August 19, 2018, 03:55:01 AM
1990 Fiat Uno Turbo.
......it was fun to drive and could go close to 120mph on the Autobahn.

Sweet!
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline redmond

Reply #69 on: August 19, 2018, 04:51:44 PM
'66 VW Beetle. I'll have you know it had a 1300 cc engine and could do 60 mph downhill with a stiff tailwind.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: August 19, 2018, 05:35:57 PM
'66 VW Beetle. I'll have you know it had a 1300 cc engine and could do 60 mph downhill with a stiff tailwind.

But you didn't have to worry about oil and it was easy to push off if the 6V battery failed.  Of course driving at night in the fog was fun....

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: August 19, 2018, 06:25:59 PM
Mine was one of these bought at auction. Only interesting car I've ever owned. I was 17 and loving it. The suspension was unbelievably good and it drove so nicely. Unfortunately being an old Citroen, I paid almost as much in parts in the first month of ownership as I'd paid for it in the first place.  :D

Since then I've owned the most dreary selection of lower end cars from Peugeot, Nissan and Honda, I'm still far from being able to consider something fun. My dad was always the one with the nice cars, my favourite being a Saab 95 Turbo.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: August 19, 2018, 06:54:04 PM
My first car was a 1975 VW Rabbit

Looked like this except it was rusty  ;)

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: August 19, 2018, 07:47:02 PM
My first car was a 1975 VW Rabbit

Looked like this except it was rusty  ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

Those are fun little cars, easy to work on and cheap in parts as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #74 on: August 19, 2018, 08:41:49 PM
Mine was a 1970 Chevy Malibu with a 350 (5.7l), a fun car that I loved to drive. Now I have come full circle, after a lot of pickup trucks in between, to a 2017 Malibu with 1.5l (so much better mileage!). The photo is from 1978ish.  :salute:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: August 19, 2018, 09:07:19 PM
My first car was a Vauxhall nova in black like pic below 
It had a 1.2 little engine a real rust bucket

Car in pic is not my car but just for example  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline redmond

Reply #76 on: August 20, 2018, 03:17:40 AM

But you didn't have to worry about oil and it was easy to push off if the 6V battery failed.  Of course driving at night in the fog was fun....
Yup, last year of the 6V Bugs. Temps below 25F usually meant a push start. We were newly married and my wife still remembers that scenario (not fondly).

When our eldest daughter was about 2 my wife was driving to the store with her in the car. Stopped at a stop sign and when she let out the clutch to start out again the clutch plate disintegrated. No go. Our daughter's comment was "Bad Herbie".
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: August 20, 2018, 01:15:18 PM

Yup, last year of the 6V Bugs. Temps below 25F usually meant a push start. We were newly married and my wife still remembers that scenario (not fondly).

When our eldest daughter was about 2 my wife was driving to the store with her in the car. Stopped at a stop sign and when she let out the clutch to start out again the clutch plate disintegrated. No go. Our daughter's comment was "Bad Herbie".

Now that is Funny! :like:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #78 on: August 22, 2018, 12:58:13 PM
Some of you had some pretty cool cars!

I thought my Firebird was a cool car, especially for my first, but some of the machines you guys had really outclass my old Pontiac!

So far though, Pontiac is still the brand I have had the most, at three.  I have had two Jeeps and two VW's, and a GM, which was in reality a rebranded Suzuki.  My next one will likely be a Ford, so Pontiac still rules, and will probably gain ground (despite being out of business) since I hope someday to get a Solstice.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: August 23, 2018, 12:55:42 PM
Some of you had some pretty cool cars!

I thought my Firebird was a cool car, especially for my first, but some of the machines you guys had really outclass my old Pontiac!

So far though, Pontiac is still the brand I have had the most, at three.  I have had two Jeeps and two VW's, and a GM, which was in reality a rebranded Suzuki.  My next one will likely be a Ford, so Pontiac still rules, and will probably gain ground (despite being out of business) since I hope someday to get a Solstice.

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

Well if you open the question up like this it is really a whole different question.

I have had a lot of cars and they are really just a tool, for me and always have been. I make a living pretty much from a vehicle and love each one too but I also always need to look to a car being practical in my daily life and rarely have had them just for fun but not always.
So my first car was a hand me down and it got me on the road.

The first car that I bought entirely by my own initiative was a whole different deal!

http://car-from-uk.com/carphotos/full/1359159461205455.jpg

Since then I have had mostly Toyota I think and I have 4 cars now and 2 are Toyota.
They just are the easiest to keep on the road in my experience overall.

I have had 4 Previas alone and each went over 300k miles easily too!

I loved those Beans!

https://file.kbb.com/kbb/vehicleimage/housenew/480x360/1995/1995-toyota-previa-front_ttpre951.jpg
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:57:29 PM by ezdog »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD