Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone ever use a yoga wheel?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Anyone ever use a yoga wheel?
on: July 16, 2018, 06:35:28 PM
Well, just like the subject says, anyone? Something popped up the other day and it reminded me of seeing one long ago and I’m kinda curious about these things especially with my bad back. Are they worth getting or are they just a waste? I must say one got my attention, well, two but the one is supposedly not sold over here in US..
Here’s a pic of a few, the one that definetly got my attn is that one with the knobs, that other one with the grove looks nice but is the one not in the US, and then there’s the just simple one..
  Any info on these?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone ever use a yoga wheel?
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:26:26 PM
Only tried a foamroller, and it's good for leg muscles but for my back it's more of a back cracker to loosen up a bit. The one in the first pic might be useful with the "knobs"

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:21:13 PM
if they are like foam rollers you could get by with a piece of pvc pipe. for my back i prefer a baseball
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 11:39:30 PM
if they are like foam rollers you could get by with a piece of pvc pipe. for my back i prefer a baseball
Yeah huh, piece of pvc and take those 1” bouncy balls, cut them in half and glue them in a pattern? Although the glue probably wouldn’t hold..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:08:34 AM
Unless you already do lots of yoga then I would avoid their wheel.
Foam rollers are smaller and better (easier on the body) suited for back stuff.
Also avoid anything bumpy or knurled like.

I currently use a piece of pvc pipe, a foam roller and a kali rattan stick.
If you really want to isolate then use a ball.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:07:43 AM
Unless you already do lots of yoga then I would avoid their wheel.
Foam rollers are smaller and better (easier on the body) suited for back stuff.
Also avoid anything bumpy or knurled like.

I currently use a piece of pvc pipe, a foam roller and a kali rattan stick.
If you really want to isolate then use a ball.
I need to use something, I would think something with bumps or spikes would be better?
JR

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 02:57:06 AM
I use a foam roller. Any specific spots I use a cricket ball.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 03:59:58 AM
I use a foam roller. Any specific spots I use a cricket ball.
Ah a cricket ball, a golf ball would get deeper no?
JR

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 04:02:37 AM
Maybe. It would be harder to roll on it.
A cricket ball is quite hard, similar in size and hardness to a baseball or hockey ball.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:39:25 AM
I happen to stumble on something, a dryer ball, a 3” ball with about 300 spikes, I could have sworn they were somewhat squishable but I guess after so long they turn rock hard cause it didn’t squish, kinda interesting..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 05:43:42 AM
I think I was off size wise by about an inch :whistle:
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 05:51:22 AM
I must say it feels great on the feet, I just dropped it on the floor and started rolling the foot over it and it feels fabulous!
JR

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 08:05:50 AM
Yoga...

I reckon for the same reason I can't dance, I never got further than the Sun Salutation.........and I credit that for sorting out my lower back issues.

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31:12 AM
Yoga...

I reckon for the same reason I can't dance, I never got further than the Sun Salutation.........and I credit that for sorting out my lower back issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJVFloPIVA

had to do it

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 11:57:09 AM
had to do it
:rofl:
Don't you think for one moment I wasn't thinking of that song when writing that!  :rofl:

Aren't you too young to know that song?  :P

hr Offline styx

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 12:10:43 PM
good music is timeless

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 12:43:16 PM
But what about Genesis?  :pok:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 08:02:14 PM
Yoga...

I can’t dance and I don’t mean because of back issues! My back is weird, I can go bowling, long walks, or just goof around with the kids and notta. Yet I can just go to get out of bed and “ping” I’ll be in such pain, and it’s not like I can stretch it or lay on the floor and have the wife crack me, I’ll be in freaking pain for a week! I’m just looking for something to prevent it for doing so, and if it does to make it better faster..
JR

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 08:32:25 PM
But what about Genesis?  :pok:

sneaks in there from time to time

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 02:42:35 PM

I can’t dance and I don’t mean because of back issues! My back is weird, I can go bowling, long walks, or just goof around with the kids and notta. Yet I can just go to get out of bed and “ping” I’ll be in such pain, and it’s not like I can stretch it or lay on the floor and have the wife crack me, I’ll be in freaking pain for a week! I’m just looking for something to prevent it for doing so, and if it does to make it better faster..
JR

My reference to dancing is more about remembering the moves......  :P

Do this, by the time you can do 5 in a row you'll feel better.

https://www.google.com.na/search?q=sun+salutation&rlz=1C1EJFA_enNA793NA793&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQvuCv1ajcAhUnBcAKHVl4Dv8Q_AUICigB&biw=1918&bih=974

I'm no expert, but from my experience that sounds like weak abdominal muscles......that was my problem.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:50:30 PM by Gerhard Gerber »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 03:31:11 PM
Do you know the origin of your back pain?  If it generally occurs after some activity you might be needing to strengthen your core.  Bed rest isn't the best in some cases and have shown to actually be negative.  I had a serious accident and suffered years with debilitating back pain.  I would be in such pain I'd rather wet the bed than try to move.  I was brought to tears/sweat with then mere thought of moving.  My psych began to suffer as a result.  I am not one to take medication so I began a strengthening regimen.  I am conscious about my activities but daily I do whats needed to stay ahead of any issues. 

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders has some good information.  Getting to the core of the pain is important.  Good luck MadP.  You don't have to hostage to back pain.  Be proactive not reactive.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 06:06:37 PM
Hmm, back when I was 16 I was bowling I went to throw the ball and some how my thumb got stuck, as my hips were like this —> \  and so with the ball stuck it yanked forward making the upper part go —> / so one part one way as the other part complete opposite X, after that throw I was done for the day, it took a while to relax but things got better and was back to normal, but as I got older things started effecting it, twice at work I threw it out cause we were forced to wear a brace yet since the back was so used to having the help I did something and it got thrown out cause it didn’t have the help.. other then that idk, I don’t remember, things just got nuts..
JR

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 08:35:05 AM
When I was younger I couldn't spend more than 6 hours in bed or I'd get bad lower back pain.

Just short of 7 years ago when I stopped smoking I went on a health binge and even started exercising......

Among other exercises I worked up to 400 crunchies per day.  Flat on your back, knees bent 90 and toes hooked under somethingyou....just lift your upper body and contract you abdominals.

Later on  you incorporate sideways movement to work some other muscles.

I still find I need to stretch before early morning hikes or I'll develop a dull lower back pain, but the debilitating breath-catching pain of earlier years is gone.

Even with serious injuries you can strengthen the muscles around that injury and live normally.  Same with my left knee......

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 08:36:39 AM
I could use a set of those wheels for my Jeep....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 02:51:31 PM
MadP.  I was more specifically referring to what is the source of the pain for example, disk issues, sciatica, tendons, even excess weight.  Once you identify the source then you can decide what to do.  Strengthening your core and a healthy diet are great starts. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 04:57:52 PM
I could use a set of those wheels for my Jeep....

Def
Those ones with the nubs would look cool!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 05:12:36 PM
MadP.  I was more specifically referring to what is the source of the pain for example, disk issues, sciatica, tendons, even excess weight.  Once you identify the source then you can decide what to do.  Strengthening your core and a healthy diet are great starts.
Idk,
It’s weird, I’ve gone to the chiropractor and all they did was lay me flat on a machine that was supposedly stretched the back for 3min but did nothing. Before we moved I went to another that laid me down on a diff machine, pressed down on each side and stomach pressed down and it cracked, then also laid on my back and they twisted my neck each way. I suppose I should do the sit-ups, the Mrs wants me to, I guess it would help with the gut in the front too..
JR

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 07:48:19 AM
Tell you what.......wish I could start again!  :rofl:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 06:58:35 PM
Tell you what.......wish I could start again!  :rofl:
Me too :whistle:
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 03:59:27 PM
There are several core strengthening exercises that would and could help.  Carrying weight does have a negative effect on the back.  You've got to be consistent and persistent with self care.  I was hurt about 10 years ago and suffered for a good long while before I took my own care very serious.  I would get very anxious when I had to do anything I thought would aggravate my back. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD