Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stripped screw on multitool

Offline Trnkggt

• New User
Stripped screw on multitool
on: August 03, 2023, 02:06:23 AM
Hello, wanted to regulate the screw but I didnt have exact tool needed, so I used what I could find. Now the screw is stripped and I cant move it with anything. What should I do?

* IMG_20230803_040550.jpg (Filesize: 402.75 KB)

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Stripped screw on multitool
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 02:23:05 AM
I'd start with the right  tool.  You might need to wrap it in a layer of aluminum foil to fit tight.
These usually have locktite on the threads so a little heat might be needed as well.
- Steve

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 03:04:28 AM
I wonder how LM warranty would treat that.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 03:42:58 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers: I would do as stated above by smiller first with the heat and aluminum foil :salute: if that doesn't work then we can try to figure out something else :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 08:12:40 PM
Hello, wanted to regulate the screw but I didnt have exact tool needed, so I used what I could find. Now the screw is stripped and I cant move it with anything. What should I do?

Cry !   :oops:

gb Offline Cynan

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 09:19:42 PM
Failing all tithe above you could cut a slot in it with a Dremel and then use a flat driver.

If you have a welder you can also weld another bit onto it and turn that, or using a drill press drill it out.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 10:03:17 PM
    You could always just say, "Well I buggered this one up" and use it anyway. Tools are tools to me.  Banged up doesn't really bother me.  Even if you get the screw out, you don't have a replacement, right?  There is no reason to think any repair you make will be satisfactory or look good either.
    A factory repair sounds good to me.  I would see how much they would charge, or just say to heck with it and use it as is.  Best wishes G

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 02:01:04 PM
    You could always just say, "Well I buggered this one up" and use it anyway. Tools are tools to me.  Banged up doesn't really bother me.  Even if you get the screw out, you don't have a replacement, right?  There is no reason to think any repair you make will be satisfactory or look good either.
    A factory repair sounds good to me.  I would see how much they would charge, or just say to heck with it and use it as is.  Best wishes G

The last time I spoke to Leatherman about this (which admittedly was a while ago, they had nothing set up to charge people for repairs.  I think they just use the warranty service for pretty much anything.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 02:49:10 PM
Ironic, isn't it?  :think:  Isn't this nearly the same thing as us using a multi tool? "Not quite the perfect or right tool for the job." Some times it buggers up the job.  :cry:

The Multi Tool truly defined... a jack of all trades, master of none.

Don't torch me... I carry and use one every day.  :salute:

I do truly feel for the op. I've done this exact thing several times. You'd think I'd learn.  :twak:
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 02:53:56 PM
Ironic, isn't it?  :think:  Isn't this nearly the same thing as us using a multi tool? "Not quite the perfect or right tool for the job." Some times it buggers up the job.  :cry:

The Multi Tool truly defined... a jack of all trades, master of none.

Don't torch me... I carry and use one every day.  :salute:

I do truly feel for the op. I've done this exact thing several times. You'd think I'd learn.  :twak:

The full phrase is “a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 03:25:15 PM

The full phrase is “a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”

I love it! Funny, I've never heard the full actual quote. I stand corrected and armed with a new quote. Thanks!
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%