Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Early MT

gb Offline BePrepared

Early MT
on: July 15, 2018, 10:39:49 PM
I just came across this early MT with "eating implement, folding, with three-pronged fork, spatula, pick, spike and knife" from about 200-300 AD (?)

http://webapps.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/explorer/index.php?oid=70534

Does anyone know of an earlier folding MT?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:43:51 PM by BePrepared »

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: Early MT
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:43:37 PM
Nice!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 11:07:56 PM
Just about all of the info I have on it is in your link.  There are a few threads about these old Roman tools here on the forum.  The general consensus is that they were owned by generals or other higher ranking people.  If they were standard issue there would be a lot more of them kicking around, and they probably weren't cheap.

They do look pretty cool though!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 11:49:27 AM
Wow :o for the time these were made they were for sure cutting edge technology for there time :ahhh :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 12:39:59 PM
I don't know of any multitools that predate this one.  I suppose it is possible, but the only people I can see prior to the Romans having the skills to make something like this would be the Greeks, Chinese or the Egyptians.  I don't know of anything even close to this that would have been made by any of these groups.  I also have to wonder if the mentality was there for any of those groups, as they didn't value mobility as much as the Romans did.  The other groups (for the most part) seemed pretty content to stay put, while the Romans wanted to spread out and conquer, thus having a need to take tools along with them.

At least that would be the best (slightly) educated guess I can think of.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:55:02 PM
I wonder if they offered lifetime warranty.  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 01:09:15 PM
I wonder if they offered lifetime warranty.  :think:

If it was a product for a Roman General, probably.... but then the definition of "lifetime" was probably applied slightly differently too...  :ahhh

Def

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 11:04:12 PM
I bet someone here on MTO could mod up something similar to this 'hobo' knife   :D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 03:58:09 AM
The general consensus is that they were owned by generals or other higher ranking people.  If they were standard issue there would be a lot more of them kicking around, and they probably weren't cheap.

I agree with the group think, but I have to play devil's advocate.

There aren't many falchons in museums, so people used to think they were rare. But instead, they were actually very common based on writings recovered and translated in the past century- they got used, hard and a lot, until there wasn't much left. You don't find many Roman swords in middens or mass graves either- the only reason people knew they weren't rare was because the Legions went everywhere. So these things may have been common enough to be noteworthy- certainly not issue, but something that a Legionaire might save up for and purchase when his Legion rotates back to Rome or Iberia or any place where he could get one. Too useful to junk, too common make a big deal about. If they wore out, back in the crucible and made into something new. Maybe even their replacement. Immortal, like all good multitools.

Again, just devil's advocate.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:16 AM
Roman Army Knife?  :SAKnight:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31